A Long Way Around, a Pirouge Build | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

A Long Way Around, a Pirouge Build

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks Tom for the compliment.

Andy, I'm looking forward to your build pictures. Copying a boat design or building one to certain specs, without plans or a pattern is difficult but very rewarding. I fretted and figured over the location of these floor ribs. My reward for the extra effort is that my seat location is in the best location and can move as needed without having to jump over the rib. I also got lucky because the front rib location is just right for a foot rest.
Going fishing is not really "taking off". Glad you had a good time.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Launched the boat for its madden voyage.
100_0386.JPG

Boat was suppose to be the same as my truck boat, but right of way there was something different.
The boat less stable. I wrote it off as my perception because I had not paddled in a few weeks. After the second and much longer trip I new something was different. The tippy feeling was still there and I was uncomfortable all day.
Discovered the chair was 1/2: taller than my old one. I had made a pattern from plywood and forgot to trim it to the proper height.:oops: The chair turned out exactly like the pattern. Too tall.

IMG_4894.JPG

Easy fix just saw 1/2" off each leg. I was not surprised at how much the 1/2" height decreased the stability. I was surprised how uncomfortable the chair became.
Over time I had tweaked my chairs to be comfortable and functional for our usage. Lessoned learned, taller is too much and pay attention when making/using a pattern.

Last edited:

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Total height of the chair and cushion was approaching 9.5" to 10". The boat only has 10" depth at mid ship. I did not feel like it was going to break over any second, but it was approaching that area.
Hard to describe, but the lean was not as firm and your body had to right itself quicker. After lowering it, all the conscious sensations of tipping over went away.
The increase in discomfort reaffirmed what I had learned earlier. For me, when the height of the chair is increased I need to lower the rise in the front of the seat. This lessens the pressure on the back of the legs and seems more comfortable.
At first I thought the stability issue was a boat problem. That had me stumped. The uncomfortable issue led me to suspect a chair problem. Fixing the seat solved both issues.

Reactions: Gamecock

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
"For me, when the height of the chair is increased I need to lower the rise in the front of the seat. This lessens the pressure on the back of the legs and seems more comfortable."
I suspect there is more knowledge in this short statement than meets the eye. I'll give it try.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Original seat shape.

IMG_0535.JPG

My seat design for seating higher.
IMG_3290.JPG

Not sure if the pictures clarify anything. My seat does have a little sway, and the front is taller than the rear.