A Lot of Cajun Recipes , over 1,900 of them | SouthernPaddler.com

A Lot of Cajun Recipes , over 1,900 of them

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Guy's if you want to see the making for some good eats then click on the link at the bottom of the article.

There is a lot to choose from 1,900 new recipes were added to this site on 11/09/2003 ...... There are only 1,189 just in the Dessert Section :wink: 8)

As they say ......

A Cajun Family's Recipe Collection
Recipes collected and compiled from Cajun Families
located in the Heart of Cajun Country, Louisiana

From Cajun recipes to not-so-Cajun recipes. Recipes for: seafood, gumbo, chowder, quiche, jambalaya, rice dressing, dessert, casserole, appetizer, bread, meat, vegetable, sauce, pickle, preserve, party, drink, dip, and rice dishes, are all on this site for you to freely enjoy
:D

ENJOY.............. http://www.cajun-recipes.com/

Chuck .......................................................

Jack ... I am sorry but I could not locate any Grit recipes on there web site ..... for that you will have to use this web site ..... http://grits.com/ :p

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Here is one of the drink Recipes. I know who might be trying this one..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wine Blackberry

4 qts Berry Juice
1-1/3 qts Water
6 cups Sugar
1/2 cup French Brandy

*** Combine juice, water and sugar. Let stand 3 days in cool place. Skim well. Let stand to ferment 6 days longer. Remove any froth and add brandy. Close tightly. In two days, draw off sediment. Bottle tightly and seal. Wine improves with age.

*** May Use Scuppernongs.

Something to have the wine with........ :D

Baked Sausage and Wild Rice

2 pounds bulk pork sausage
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups wild rice, cooked
2 cup regular rice, cooked
1/2 cup (2 ounces) Swiss cheese
1-1/2 cups milk
1 small green pepper, chopped
One 10-3/4 ounce cream of chicken soup
One 4-ounce can mushroom stems and pieces
One 2-ounce jar diced pimientos, drained
1/4 cup toasted almonds, sliced

Preheat oven to 350F. Cook and stir sausage and onion in Dutch oven until sausage is brown.
Drain.
Stir in remaining ingredients, except almonds.
Pour into an ungreased casserole. Cover and bake 45 to 50 minutes until center is bubbly. Stir and sprinkle with almonds. Garnish with parsley If desired.

Serves 6.

A

Anonymous

Friend Ole Sparkey,

I do not use that outrageous french brandy. Why?

[King Arthur music]
[clop clop clop]
ARTHUR:
Halt!
[horn]
Hallo!
[pause]
Hallo!
FRENCH GUARD:
Allo! Who is eet?
ARTHUR:
It is King Arthur, and these are my Knights of the Round Table. Whose castle is this?
FRENCH GUARD:
This is the castle of my master, Guy de Loimbard.
ARTHUR:
Go and tell your master that we have been charged by God with a sacred quest. If he will give us food and shelter for the night, he can join us in our quest for the Holy Grail.
FRENCH GUARD:
Well, I'll ask him, but I don't think he'll be very keen. Uh, he's already got one, you see.
ARTHUR:
What?
GALAHAD:
He says they've already got one!
ARTHUR:
Are you sure he's got one?
FRENCH GUARD:
Oh, yes. It's very nice-a. (I told him we already got one.)
FRENCH GUARDS:
[chuckling]
ARTHUR:
Well, u-- um, can we come up and have a look?
FRENCH GUARD:
Of course not! You are English types-a!
ARTHUR:
Well, what are you, then?
FRENCH GUARD:
I'm French! Why do think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king-a?!
GALAHAD:
What are you doing in England?
FRENCH GUARD:
Mind your own business!
ARTHUR:
If you will not show us the Grail, we shall take your castle by force!
FRENCH GUARD:
You don't frighten us, English pig-dogs! Go and boil your bottom, sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called Arthur King, you and all your silly English k-nnnnniggets. Thpppppt! Thppt! Thppt!
GALAHAD:
What a strange person.
ARTHUR:
Now look here, my good man--
FRENCH GUARD:
I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
GALAHAD:
Is there someone else up there we could talk to?
FRENCH GUARD:
No. Now, go away, or I shall taunt you a second time-a!
[sniff]

Who would use a product made by such silly people? :wink:

regards,

bearridge

A

Anonymous

Friend Justin,

Pirogue will now bring you a shrubbery! :wink:

regards,

bearridge
minister of silly walks

draino

Jan 27, 2004
St. Clair Shores, MI.
Wow look at all those crawfish recipes, On the rivers I've seen quite a few dandy sized ones, Any thought about the collection and eating of them? I'm thinking pollution might be a concern,cause they is a bottom feeder. I aint got no need for them alligator balls recipes up here but, I would like ta meet the man who collects em.

I'm also figgering on picking up some holy handgernades and collecting some rabbits fer the pot. Happy cooking Draino

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I just purchased two crawdad traps and plan on using them for that...... Free Eats. :D :D :D

Just might have to do some fishing while checking the traps ... Darn it another reason to go fishing. :x

Gator season down here is from Sept 1 to Oct 8 , the license is $270.00 for a resident and $1,000.00 for a nonresident. You are allowed two gators so that makes the Gator Balls way to expensive for me. The bad news is that one Lake I fish in, Lake Jesup , has, at the states last count 1,313 gators in it.

Think I will stay with the crawdads , no limit or season or license, and just fish but gator is good no matter how it is cooked , I like the gator nuggets, deep fried.

Chuck.

A

Anonymous

Friend Ole Sparkey,

It aint but one way ta cook mud bugs, but I aint gwine ta tell ya cuz ya'll kin git it straight frum a cajun. Its so many Louisiana folks on here, some of 'em gotta be part cajun. :wink:

regards,

bearridge

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
If I can't do it Cajun style then I will just follow my roots and do it the TEXAS way. :D

I am sure any style would work and taste darn gooooood. Mudpuppy chili..... Yea Haw .......Ya All.
Sorry got chili on the brain , rat now , doing a big batch fer supper tonight and it is stinking the house up something good.

Hit aint that big of a batch .... only had to get one neighbor to help me move the pot to the front two burners so it can simmer fer a couple of hours.
Not sure what the wife will have when she gets home from work if pups and I can't hold off that long..... sure hope she does not poke around to long getting home , fer her sake an her supper.
Chuck.

You know we have those crawdads of yours up here in the far north as well. Up until I was about 13 years old we lived near a little creek, and one summer I got the idea to build a trap and catch some to eat (I had already develped a love for sea food and figured that they tasted mighty close to lobster :roll:) So, I spent at leats two weeks planning and building a couple of traps, and then testing different foods in the traps to use as baite. Adventualy, as things do when you are young, it got old and I just stoped checking the traps and such. As I remember I never had any luck with the traps, and I remember the design I made for them. It occurs to me that in my childhood foolishness I had decided that the crayfish, or cradads if you will, would find the food in my trap and just stay there. I had nothing to keep them there, the traps were just a soup cans with some holes in the bottom and they were tied to a tree that went across the stream by some little peices of string! :oops: So, all in all I have never tasted the lucious taste of a plate of boiled craws. So, what I really wanna know is, do they taste like little lobsters? :wink:

draino

Jan 27, 2004
St. Clair Shores, MI.
Ya Know that Bubba said that, theres about a million ways to cook crayfish.Theres crayfish soup, crayfish chilli,crayfish gumbo,crayfish ethpohey :lol: ,crayfish salad,crayfish chowder,crayfish with okra,crayfish bisque,crayfish spread,crayfish ball, crayfish puffs, crayfish quesadilla,crafish balls,crayfish roll,crayfishpatties crayfish mold,crayfish taco,crayfish n mushrooms :lol: :lol: :lol: Funny thing I feel like going and cleaning the bathroom with a toothbrush buot now. Draino

Gump school of cookin

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Best way to describe the taste of them is a cross between a shrimp and a lobster and there is not a lot of meat on them and you do need a good plate full to make you happy, no ... Jack....they do not taste like chicken, but everything else does.
Figured I would answer Jack before he had a chance to ask. :lol:
Chuck.

A

Anonymous

Friend draino,

Yer rite. Ya kin eat crawfish with a heap a stuff. I like etouffee 'n Ole Hank Williams liked crawfish pie, but the way I see it first place goes ta boilin' with a good Zatarain dustin'. [We use bout 2 quarts on a hunerd pounds.]

Since it aint no coonass come forward, I reckon I'll have ta do.

Git a hunerd pounds....live of course. Wash 'em with water in some tubs a few times. Buy some corn, sausage, mushrooms 'n little taters ta go with 'em. When the water gits ta rollin', chunk 'em in. When the water gits ta rollin' agin, drain 'em, 'n toss 'em in the bottom of a 50 gallon cooler. (Git two.) We cook with homemade gas cookers, one with a jet frum a ole school boiler. It'll boil water purty fast, but ya gotta stand back a ways.

Next ya kin throw in a few mushrooms (if yer sausage is already cooked ya kin throw some in now too) 'n then dust 'em all down with Zatarains. Shut that cooler top 'n cook some more. Taters 'n corn boilin' on anuther gas burner.

Keep cookin', layerin', dustin'. When the corn 'n taters iz cooked....layer 'em in with the rest. Keep the cooler closed az best ya kin so they kin finish cookin'.

Finally, put the last layer of crawfish in the cooler. The first batch dont need ta cook az long az the last batch. With good help ya kin git all this done purty dang fast....with sorry help, I reckon yer crawdads will likely taste like rubber.

Next go inside 'n git a big plastic sheet ta put over the table. Spread newspapers on top a that. Git some big trays 'n some pans with handles (ta scoop crawdads, corn, sausage, mushrooms and taters outta the coolers).

That oughta do it. Its a trick ta eatin' crawdads, but it aint no better way ta learn than settin' down at the table with a beer thats got a thin sheet a ice on the top.

After ya caint eat no more, throw some bags of ice in the coolers. Next day go run some hoop nets out on the Big Ditch. Be sho ta take a few sacks a crawdads along with ya. Its makes a mitey fine snack out on the river. Watch out fer the corn!

Course, if ya run outta cold beer, I reckon ya better stop off at Clyde's Bait & Pawn fer some more on yer way outta town.

regards,

bearridge

P.S. If ya kin git yer crawfish frum down near the Achafalaya, they will be fittin'.

A

Anonymous

dang clock....Swampy if ya dont quit messin' with the universe, I'm gwine ta pull fer the Army with oldyaker next game. :?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
draino

There you go .... Straight from ole Bear and he has wrapped his lips around a lot of the crawdads. Makes it sound rat good too.... and it is.

The trouble of it is ....that....... you need to understand Bears Recipe for the crawdads (mudpuppies) is for only 4 hungry Cajuns or 20 normal folks. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Me .. I am a dainty (light) eater and don't require as much.... :roll: Specially if ya got some fried Catfish or catfish chowder as a side dish , got to have a side dish.... the law of digestion requires it ......then ........LOOK OUT. :eek:
Chuck.

A

Anonymous

Friend & High Sheriff,

It aint me...its Lance. When he gits hiz mind on a crawdad eatin', he expects 5-6 helpers 'n hiz whole family 'n some friends. I reckon he figgers on 15 serious crawdad eatin' folk. [So far only one of the little pardners (nobody kin count 'em all) haz joined up fer the crawdad eatin'.....the rest all eat fat burgers 'n fries.]

When he gits back frum the Ole Soldier hospital down ta Jackson this afternoon, he will likely be orderin' crawdads. I figger he aint gwine ta help much with the cookin' on account of hiz fancy stitchin'. Aint no tellin' how long till he kin lift anythin'.....cept a Bud lite. :wink:

regards,

bearridge

P.S. Lance sez hiz folks run outta a heap a stuff when he wuz a little pardner over ta East Florence, so now that he got hiz own mechanic shop, he dont ever plan ta run out a crawdads, taters, mushrooms, corn, sausage 'er Budweiser. So far I aint never seen him run outta nuthin'.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
My last post has me thinking about the cat's and has me wanting a bunch. NO .. not the big ones the small finger cats that are about 5 to 6 inches when cleaned out and ready to swim in the frying pan. They are just like candy but a whole lot better and more fun to get but a sucker to clean the old way. There is a better way. :D

I use a fly rod and a small hook with a piece of worm on it to get them. There is a good battle but they end up in my cooler and later in the frying pan.

When you locate a batch of them then just thread the worm over the hook and using about 6 to 8 feet of leader let it go to the bottom and then watch your (floating) fly line, when it starts to move ya got one.

You can use a bobber if so inclined but that takes a lot of the fun out of the fishing for them, anyway for me.

When you get a batch then you need to clean them and it is easy when you get this down. Have to do it a couple of times to work it out.

1. Take the Cat and holding your thumb in its mouth start at the back of the dorsal fin and make a cut bringing your knife to the front even with the gills.

2. Loosen the skin on the back with a knife cut along both sides of the dorsal fin and all of the way to the tail

3. Cut the backbone behind the head, now hold the head with one hand and pull back with your other hand. The edible part will part from what you do not want.

A no mess way to clean one of them and just have the good stuff for supper.

The same thing can be done for pan fish. But it is reversed to a degree.

1. Cut through the backbone right behind the head. Next slit the skin on both sides of the dorsal fin all the way to the tail of the fish. DO NOT cut the dorsal fin. You will se why in a sec.

Then peel the skin back in a triangle from the start or head of all of the cuts.

2. Bend the head down with one hand and with the other hand place the fingers under the backbone and lift up. Everything will separate and you will just have the meat and bones.

3. For pan fish then make a deeper cut along the backbone and dorsal fin then when the fish is cooked the meat will fall off the bones when you pull on the dorsal fin. It works for me. :D

Chuck.