A New Marsh Pirogue | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

A New Marsh Pirogue

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Don't I see some ribs on the bottom? Or were they just there during construction? (or maybe the transverse pieces on the bottom aren't called ribs?)

Have you ever thought about using a tropical marine ply instead of fir? The money difference shouldn't be that awful much, considering the amount of skilled work involved, and I've always read that the tropical stuff is lighter and less prone to checking.

George

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
have bottom ribs to prevent oil canning, no side ribs

would like to try okume or something similar but can't get it around here unless we buy a pallet or pay freight to ship a couple of sheets. Either way is pretty expensive and starts getting competitive with planks

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
seedtick said:
would like to try okume or something similar but can't get it around here unless we buy a pallet or pay freight to ship a couple of sheets. Either way is pretty expensive and starts getting competitive with planks

Yeah, I guess that is about what we deal with everywhere. It's why my boats are BC pine and luan... in Atlanta, you'd have to go on a major hunt just to get marine fir.

George

islandpiper

Just for the record, that beautiful plywood Marsh Pirogue will be going to a different owner when it is well and truly complete. A number of issues in my own meagre existence preclude my planned ownership of that fine vessel. I appreciate the craftsmanship and care that both Keith and Seedtick invested in the boat. I'm sure whoever ends up with it will be a happy person. Thanks again!! piper