A pair of Totos | SouthernPaddler.com

A pair of Totos

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Like your new web site :D

How about a picture of what the boat will look like or a reasonable facsimile of it for an idea in case you are going to do some modifications to it. This way we would have an idea of the build and how it is going as you keep us informed.

Who knows there might be a lot of folks out there wanting to do the same or thinking about it , Share the knowledge and wealth or your experience in this project. :D Or better yet ... for this uninformed person what is a Toto Canoe and I bet I am not the only one that would ask that question.

Chuck.

kc4zvw

Oct 26, 2003
Chuluota, Florida
www.billsbrough.org
oldsparkey said:
Like your new web site :D

How about a picture of what the boat will look like or a reasonable facsimile of it for an idea in case you are going to do some modifications to it. This way we would have an idea of the build and how it is going as you keep us informed.

Who knows there might be a lot of folks out there wanting to do the same or thinking about it , Share the knowledge and wealth or your experience in this project. :D Or better yet ... for this uninformed person what is a Toto Canoe and I bet I am not the only one that would ask that question.

Chuck.

Here are some samples from other builders:

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/toto/index.htm

regards,

David

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
amanda.jpg

More on the link David posted in his post above this one.

Chuck.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
4.5 sounds fast to me too.

Perfectly nice totos. Not a thing wrong with them that I can see.

But then I ain't known for being picky about totos. Or very skillful with a paddle, either.

George

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
gbinga said:
...But then I ain't known for being picky about totos. Or very skillful with a paddle, either.
George, you'd likely get more practice, and thus skill, if you'd keep the paddle away form the totos. Most toto bearing-type people don't appreciate such lack of finesse.

aub77

Nov 15, 2003
Birmingham, Alabama
Hey, David,

I built a Toto several years ago. Fun boat. I use it mostly for fishing in small lakes close to home. Actually, I am thinking about converting it into a "nesting" canoe. About a foot in front of the stearn bulkhead is the spot you want to sit in it so I am thinking of cutting the boat in two at that point and installing a bulkhead in the then open sections of both boat pieces. The rear section should fit in the front section if I turn it around to save space in a garage. I need to do some measuring. Would make it easy to carry in the back of my pickup and I could carry each piece down to the lake individually with each piece weighing maybe 35 pounds or so. Bolt it together when I am at the water's edge.

There is a small lake within about 3 blocks from me but it has no access except a foot path and then over a foot bridge with steel/concreate posts at the entry points that are close enough to the bridge that I can hardly make the turn around the posts onto the very narrow bridge with the full length of the canoe. Just a thought right now.

http://community.webshots.com/user/aub77 --> Toto and Tot2 folders.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/pho ... 7176HxnsFE

terryg

May 7, 2007
Evans, Ga
Nothing wrong with a Toto. Good first build, can be cheaply built, easily customized. Not the fastest thing in the world (4.5mph is stretching it I think) but with the rocker makes a good river boat.

I have used mine in the Savannah River, Big Lakes, Jacksonville inland waterways, Hilton Head, SC inland waterways, its a good fishing platform. I had to add a deck to help with weather cocking and I love my big cockpit (getting old, hard to sit down in my son's plastic kayak!).

I recently added a transom to mine and set up a electric motor on her (forgive me!).

http://picasaweb.google.com/togarrett/Kayak#

(Aub, I remember checking yours out when I was building mine.)

IMG_0148.JPG