1. The forums software has been upgraded and we are still sorting out its quirks.
    Please relay any problems you encounter. Thanks for your patience!
    Dismiss Notice

A small Louisiana boat show organizing

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by rstouff, Jan 24, 2010.

1. rstouff

rstouff New Member

Hello folks.
    I'm helping organize a small wooden boat show in Franklin, La. It'll be April 17 on scenic Bayou Teche as part of our seventh Bayou Teche Bear and Birding Festival. There's no entry fee, no prizes and no hassle! Just a buncha wooden boat owners and fanatics gathering to shoot the breeze and tell other festival participants about our boats. The festival is well-attended, for just a small town thing, and growing every year. It's held to promote and support the Bayou Teche National Wildlife Refuge, home of the Louisiana Black Bear in our area. We have a good section of bulkhead side waterfront reserved, and adjacent park on dry land. All wooden boats welcome. If anyone's interested, give me a holler at rstouff(at)teche.net. I need to know how many boats are coming, and preference for water or dry land showing, by April 1.
    Thanks,
    RS

2. Jimmy W

Jimmy W Well-Known Member

Welcome, Roger

Jimmy

3. seedtick

seedtick Well-Known Member

Welcome to the fun forum Roger,

How about some pics of the rowing skiff you talked about on the "other" forum

4. oldsparkey

oldsparkey Well-Known Member

We have a good amount of folks there in your area , ( Southeast Louisiana ) and they do like wood boats.

Chuck.

5. Kayak Jack

Kayak Jack Well-Known Member

That's the bloody truth.

6. rstouff

rstouff New Member

Hey kind folks,
    One of the rare rewards of this job as a small town newspaper in south Louisiana is every now and then I actually run across a story I care about. Remarkably, I've found TWO just this month.
    These are two old gentlemen in my area who are continuing the rapidly dying craft of Louisiana boat building. The first, Mr. Elwood Marcotte, recently finished this bateau for a collector who intends to show it around the country in boat shows. It'll be powered by a Lockwood Ash. It's cypress all through except for a plywood bottom. He said these were common until the 1950s or so.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The next is being built by Mr. Courvillier, a cypress rowing skiff, no plywood. He's building this one with and for his son:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's the boat he used to get the lines
    [​IMG]
    Hope ya'll enjoy this little peek into Louisiana boat building as much as I did!
    Best regards from the Rez,
    Roger Stouff

7. jdupre'

jdupre' Well-Known Member

Welcome, Roger. The boat show sounds interesting. How's the fly fishing down your way? Not great around here.

Joey

8. Jimmy W

Roger, keep us informed about the skiff that you are starting on also.
    Jimmy

9. seedtick

Roger,
    What does the joug or rowing station look like on that rowing skiff?

Is it a permanent fixture or is it removeable?

10. beekeeper

beekeeper Well-Known Member

Roger
    Thanks for the pictures and notice about the boat show. Very nice looking boats. Please post more if you can.

beekeeper

11. rstouff

rstouff New Member

Not sure...I think permanent. I didn't get to see the boat after these were taken, when it was all finished. It may be at the boat show.
    Thanks, all!

12. jdupre'

jdupre' Well-Known Member

Don't see any "ghost" marks on the original- worn spots, holes in the gunnels or paint edges- something to indicate that something was there. Might have been a removable joug.

Joey

13. beekeeper

Keith or seedtick any pictures or a report for us? Did anybody else go?

beekeeper

14. Jimmy W

15. seedtick

Roger's article and link to the other boat forum covers it all

They treated friend Keith and I like rock stars - drinks and food ALL day long, lots of interest in boat building, really fine folks

Hope some of you can make it next year

16. graybeard

graybeard Well-Known Member

Congratulations on a fine weekend, Roger. I read the blog posting also. It reminded me of this:

Good Luck!

17. KatyJhonson99

KatyJhonson99 New Member

it has been an year! i hope that was a success! :wink: hey! are you planning another alike show this year 2011!
    I am all ready and packed up! Me and my friend Mike has recently completed our boat creation! want to sow up to general public!
    I am feeling heat! do let us know how can we participate???

18. seedtick

19. beekeeper

20. beekeeper