A small Louisiana boat show organizing | SouthernPaddler.com

A small Louisiana boat show organizing

rstouff

Jan 24, 2010
Hello folks.
I'm helping organize a small wooden boat show in Franklin, La. It'll be April 17 on scenic Bayou Teche as part of our seventh Bayou Teche Bear and Birding Festival. There's no entry fee, no prizes and no hassle! Just a buncha wooden boat owners and fanatics gathering to shoot the breeze and tell other festival participants about our boats. The festival is well-attended, for just a small town thing, and growing every year. It's held to promote and support the Bayou Teche National Wildlife Refuge, home of the Louisiana Black Bear in our area. We have a good section of bulkhead side waterfront reserved, and adjacent park on dry land. All wooden boats welcome. If anyone's interested, give me a holler at rstouff(at)teche.net. I need to know how many boats are coming, and preference for water or dry land showing, by April 1.
Thanks,
RS

rstouff

Jan 24, 2010
Hey kind folks,
One of the rare rewards of this job as a small town newspaper in south Louisiana is every now and then I actually run across a story I care about. Remarkably, I've found TWO just this month.
These are two old gentlemen in my area who are continuing the rapidly dying craft of Louisiana boat building. The first, Mr. Elwood Marcotte, recently finished this bateau for a collector who intends to show it around the country in boat shows. It'll be powered by a Lockwood Ash. It's cypress all through except for a plywood bottom. He said these were common until the 1950s or so.
marcotte1.jpg

marcotte2.jpg

The next is being built by Mr. Courvillier, a cypress rowing skiff, no plywood. He's building this one with and for his son:
couvillierboat1.jpg

couvillierboat2.jpg

couvillierboat3.jpg

Here's the boat he used to get the lines
oldskiff.jpg

Hope ya'll enjoy this little peek into Louisiana boat building as much as I did!
Best regards from the Rez,
Roger Stouff

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Roger
Thanks for the pictures and notice about the boat show. Very nice looking boats. Please post more if you can.

beekeeper

rstouff

Jan 24, 2010
seedtick said:
Roger,
What does the joug or rowing station look like on that rowing skiff?

Is it a permanent fixture or is it removeable?
Not sure...I think permanent. I didn't get to see the boat after these were taken, when it was all finished. It may be at the boat show.
Thanks, all!

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Don't see any "ghost" marks on the original- worn spots, holes in the gunnels or paint edges- something to indicate that something was there. Might have been a removable joug.

Joey

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Roger's article and link to the other boat forum covers it all

They treated friend Keith and I like rock stars - drinks and food ALL day long, lots of interest in boat building, really fine folks

Hope some of you can make it next year

KatyJhonson99

Jan 28, 2011
it has been an year! i hope that was a success! :wink: hey! are you planning another alike show this year 2011!
I am all ready and packed up! Me and my friend Mike has recently completed our boat creation! want to sow up to general public!
I am feeling heat! do let us know how can we participate???