A small Louisiana boat show organizing | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

A small Louisiana boat show organizing

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Andy it was a long drive for us but worth it. We had to be at a grandkids' function so we had to leave early Sunday. If you plan to attend Saturday has the most activity.

My second time to go and I really enjoyed the event. Not much better than talking boats for a couple of days. Would love to see you there.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Old paddles. Not sure if there is a common design that could be classified as "Cajun" paddles, but these two seem typical of others I have seen.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Interesting. The Wooden Canoe Associaionn meets in Cedarvill Mi, on the shores of Lake Huron. Counter to claims by the two, young fellow's that originally goaded this bulletin board into business - wooden boats are alive and well. The ones that I built floated well.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Wooden boats do float and you might say they are alive and well, but I'm not so sure about the building of wooden boats. Judging by forum activity here and other sites seems to me a loss of interest or participation. I hope I'm wrong.
I was not here for the beginning. How about a history lesson.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Fifteen or twenty yesrs ago, there was a netsite about paddling. Chuck, another fellow, and I were on it, along with many others. We were responding with comments of experiences. Turned out the site was run by a couple of young fellows from Grand Rapids, Michigan, not far from me.

They employed a pair of writers, a man and a woman, who wrote, among other subjects, about materials used to build canoes and kayaks. Their list of materials did not include wood. We responded that, indeed, wood was used, and still is used to build boats. The pair grew vehement and snitty. The young owners asked us to respond,. When we wrote back with factual experiences and knowledge, the refuting pair grew more vehement, questioning our knowledge and intelligence. The young owners requested us to rewrite; we djd again and it was rejected.

Along about that time the other fellow who had been collaborating with Chuck and me dropped out. Chuck started up the Southern Paddler, and I kept on paddling and writing. I'm not sure that the other netsite is still in existence todsy. Chuck might know? But, I do know that wooden boats are still in existence.

The navy has iron ships. We have wooden boats, and iron men.

Gamecock

Jul 17, 2012
Fifteen or twenty yesrs ago, there was a netsite about paddling. Chuck, another fellow, and I were on it, along with many others. We were responding with comments of experiences. Turned out the site was run by a couple of young fellows from Grand Rapids, Michigan, not far from me.

They employed a pair of writers, a man and a woman, who wrote, among other subjects, about materials used to build canoes and kayaks. Their list of materials did not include wood. We responded that, indeed, wood was used, and still is used to build boats. The pair grew vehement and snitty. The young owners asked us to respond,. When we wrote back with factual experiences and knowledge, the refuting pair grew more vehement, questioning our knowledge and intelligence. The young owners requested us to rewrite; we djd again and it was rejected.

Along about that time the other fellow who had been collaborating with Chuck and me dropped out. Chuck started up the Southern Paddler, and I kept on paddling and writing. I'm not sure that the other netsite is still in existence todsy. Chuck might know? But, I do know that wooden boats are still in existence.

The navy has iron ships. We have wooden boats, and iron men.
Thanks for the history, I'm glad this site happened. Dave.

Gamecock

Jul 17, 2012
Wooden boats do float and you might say they are alive and well, but I'm not so sure about the building of wooden boats. Judging by forum activity here and other sites seems to me a loss of interest or participation. I hope I'm wrong.
I was not here for the beginning. How about a history lesson.
Hey Bee, I'm still working on my pirouge, every whip stich that is, hope to be done before spring. Dave.