A Stripper for oldsparkey ... pirogue that is... | SouthernPaddler.com

A Stripper for oldsparkey ... pirogue that is...

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
A stripper for me.. :D .... Pirogue that is :roll: made from redwood , cypress and some pine..........

Length...... 16 feet 1 inch
Beam ....... 31 inches
Weight....... 40 pounds
Wood......... California Red Wood for the boat , 3/4 inch by 1/4 inch strips.
Bow, Stern and Ribs ..... Cypress (Uncle Johns pirogue kit) http://www.unclejohns.com/
Rails, inside and outside .... Pine lattice strips with red wood spacers.
Glass.... 3.25 tight woven, inside and outside with numerous coats of epoxy.
The seat .... Cypress and it is a removable, folding boat seat that can be used as a camp chair. Designed by myself and
Uncle John has the plans for it. http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/seat/default.htm

The dark side .................
pirogue%20040.jpg

The light side ...............
pirogue%20041.jpg

The center...............
pirogue%20043.jpg

Chuck...

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I got a chance to paddle (Christen) her on the Edisto River in South Carolina with some good friends and great camping chow :D and she is a pleasure to paddle, turns easily and paddles effortsley.

After I got home the outside was sanded and then varnished, I did not want to finish off the outside because I knew she would get some scratches on he so why do the work twice, besides this let the epoxy on the outside cure for a longer amount of time. 30 days is ideal.

Sanded down the outside (got rid of the rough spots) and put a coat of varnish (Captains Z-Spar) on her and she is slicker then a baby's rear. NO ... Against my better judgment and scared my friends would hurt me :lol: I did not graphite the bottom like I wanted to, just varnished it to keep some peace and harmony here on the forum and me healthy when camping and paddling with them. :roll:

The trip is listed in the trips section .. both my outlook on the trip and a detailed report by Swampy , doubles your reading pleasure that way and YES ... Swampy does know how to boil water and even how to put out fires. :wink:

A wood boat does draw a lot of attention... No matter where I stopped someone was looking at her and asking questions , even guy's going down the interstate would slow down when passing me and then pull up and give me the thumbs up sign.

In camp, two guy's who had two racing canoes at 17 feet made from carbon fiber and weighing 28 pounds each which cost from 3 to 4 thousands dollars , each, had to come over and spend some time asking questions along with shooting the breeze while looking at my pore OLE wood boat which I might have $300.00 in .....if that much. Paddlers do like the looks of wood boats and they are a great way to meet people.

Never had that happen when dragging a plastic boat along for a paddling trip or when stopped at a rest area or restaurant. :roll:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have taken the liberty to remove some posts on this and then add more pictures since I have had several folks ask me how I did this back in March of 2006.........

How it was done...........
The side panels............
pirogue%20001.jpg

pirogue%20005.jpg

pirogue%20008.jpg

pirogue%20011.jpg

The bottom...........
pirogue%20016.jpg

pirogue%20027.jpg

pirogue%20032.jpg

Chuck.

Steve

Sitting here, checking out the pics. . . Susie looked over and went all "ga-ga". . . and informed me when I start on HER boat it had better look like that. . . :lol: . . .She said to tell your redwood pirouge is "absolutely gorgeous". . . :lol:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Before you build one like that for her, Steve, you'd better find out how much stagnant, backwater swamp water you have in Idaho. The technique is good looking, but the boat design is specialized for waters different than you have there, I think.

Steve

Kayak Jack said:
Before you build one like that for her, Steve, you'd better find out how much stagnant, backwater swamp water you have in Idaho. The technique is good looking, but the boat design is specialized for waters different than you have there, I think.

Jack, wouldn't need no stagnant backwater for a pirouge. . . but I have an idea for her boat. . . well, actually it''s her idea. . . well, actually, Mick's idea (he just don't know it. . . :lol: ) She saw that one, it was another one of her "ga-ga" moments :lol: :lol: . . .

Once I get a few things taken care of, business-wise, I oughta be able to get something going. . .