A traditional Australian Rowing Skiff | SouthernPaddler.com

A traditional Australian Rowing Skiff

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

Been a bit quiet here lately but that is hopefully about to change. As some might know, I have been working on a prototype, smallish, sea Kayak of Matt's design and I think she is going to be a winner in any company. A superb, low volume boat that will be very suited to day and overnight trips but also very suited for the smaller paddler. As build progresses, I will share some images here but for now, she is a challenging build :D and I haven't had time to get much done in the last couple of months.

I have been wanting a very good, seaworthy, rowing skiff for some time and have even bought a few plans from various designers on the web but really none of them were quite what I wanted.

Someone from another forum sent me a link to this bloke,

http://www.baysidewoodenboats.com.au/

and I fell in love with his "Flint" design. After several attempts to buy the plans from his website, in desperation I rang the number listed on the site and had a long and fruitful conversation with the lovely Mrs Lillistone. It turns out they live only about 3.5 hours from me and I never even knew they existed.

Yesterday, I recieved a phone call at home from the Man himself. What a bloody nice bloke. Passionate about his designs and so very helpful. I explained to him what I was hoping to achieve with his boat and he has very kindly made himself available to bounce ideas off as the build progresses. Just like an Aussie version of Matt. He has invited me down to his place to visit and to see his designs in the flesh and I plan to do this very soon.

Long story short, the plans are now paid for and are on their way and I hope to make a start on this boat as soon as I finish Matts lovely kayak. Will start a build loge here somewhere in the coming months. if anybody is interested.

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Just for a change Mick I reckon you should do this one differently. How about you post the piccies of the finished "little sea kayak" NOW! and leave the build log till next week :)
Regards John.

Coal

Sep 22, 2009
Joliet, IL
Mick, you have an eye for beauty. I've looked at the Flint skiff before. The plans are available at Ducksworkmagazine.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks guys,

A teaser :p

001-2.jpg