Accidental Chicken............ | SouthernPaddler.com

Accidental Chicken............

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The food section of the paper had this in there , I posted it here for saving and plan on trying it in the near future.

Chuck
*********************************************************************************************************************************************
Accidental Chicken............

Prep: 5 minutes , Marinate : 15 minutes Cook: 20 minutes Makes: 2 servings.

Ingredients can be doubled depending on the number of servings. Add one or more tablespoons of honey if you like a sweater sauce. Serve with a steamed green Vegetable and / or steamed rice.

2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 Tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
2 Tablespoons of honey
4 boneless , skinless chicken thighs or 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves.

Mix oil , vinegar ,tamari sauce and honey together in a bowl. Add the chicken: allow to marinate at lease 5 minutes. ( 15 minutes is better )
Heat a skillet over medium heat , add the chicken and all the marinade at once.
Cover and simmer 8 minutes per side.
Serve with the side dishes you like. If using steamed rice use the marinade as a sauce over the rice.

Tips.......
She ( the author of this recipe) has prepped this in the morning before work and let the chicken sit refrigerated in the sauce all day. Other times she let it soak just a few minutes.
She usually cooks a rice side dish while the chicken simmers.The honey and the balsamic in the marinade create a stick paste that she likes to blend with the rice.

JEM

I tried this. It was pretty good.

I'd say that cooking on med, at least on my stove, is a little much. Low or Low-Med. Chicken got done faster than I was ready for.

But the sauce was a big hit. I might add some mango or orange jelly (marmalade) to the mix.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
This sounds good. Marinating overnight and the next day would produce a lot more flavor. (in a Ziploc bag in a large bowl - turned a couple of times.) Marinating meat for 5 minutes is like running past a pot of hot water with a chicken and calling it chicken soup.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
After a day out in the woods checking campsites out I fixed this tonight and it is darn good. The wife and I decided that we will include it in a lot of meals.
Well she decided that we will but I still have to do the cooking , like always. :roll:

I picked up a new , stainless steel , skillet for cooking this , one with a glass lid on it so I can see what is going on in there as it cooks. Talk about Sticker Shock :shock: If you haven't been in a store that handles cooking equipment you are in for a rude awaking when you go there. I found one pan I really liked ....NO WAY $119.00 for a single pan. I settled on a different stainless steel one for $39.00 and that was with the glass lid , included.

Before you say anything........ I found some other single skillets at the same price as mine and if you wanted a lid for it , an additional $39.00 for just the lid. Needless to say they were rejected as soon as I saw the price tag on them.

Medium heat was way to high , a really low setting does nice and I cooked each side 10 minutes not the 8 as recommended. Plus the chicken marinated for about 7 hours before it was cooked.

Chuck........
PS. I managed to see one deer , one coyote and three turkeys while scouting the camping areas. :D