Alafia River, South Fork 2-07-04 (A very bad situation) | SouthernPaddler.com

Alafia River, South Fork 2-07-04 (A very bad situation)

Pirogue

A few weeks back, the Tampa Tribune ran an article about the Alafia River State Park. In it, the author, Frank Sargent mentioned an easy launch for the South prong of the Alafia River. Being that I enjoy exploring new areas I went out to check it out.

I arrived on a Sunday and paddled up stream into the marsh. It was a beautiful paddle and I looked forward to one day continuing my journey downstream. This I planned to do in a couple of weeks.

Saturday, Feb 7, 2004. My paddling partner Kevin and I launch at 12 noon in my home built 15-½ foot canoe. The current is moving fairly swift, the sun was bright and we were protected from the breeze by the trees.

Within 200 yards, we run into our first obstacle. A cabbage palm that had fallen and crossed the river. Fortunately, there was just enough water to float us over it. After that we arrived at our first portage. Little did we know that this would be a sign of things to come on the rest of our trip?

The portage was about 4 rods. A rod is defined as the approximate length of a canoe used by the Voyageurs of past (16 1/2ft). We carried the canoe thru some muddy ground then thru a little poison ivy filled island. After looking around for a bit, we continued downstream.

Within the next hour, we had 5 more portages. All from 1 rod to approximately 30 rods. These portages were required due to the fallen oak and cabbage palms. The river would meander, and at the bends, we were sure to find a tangled mess of tree trunks, branches, and other vegetation. This paddle was to be more difficult than we had expected.

Our plan was to leave Kevin's truck at the Alderman's Ford canoe launch in order to ferry us back down to my truck located at the Thatcher Rd put in. Being the parks closed at 6 pm we had 6 hours for our journey. Or so we thought.

Back on the river, we would run into the same scenario over again. The few straight runs were uneventful and nice. The bends in the river would almost always be clogged with trees. I had started keeping a log of or portages on a little waterproof notepad. But after a while, the novelty wore off and we were concerned about what was ahead.

Now a couple of hours into the trip, I am silently getting concerned. I find I am constantly looking at my watch. We have no clue as to how far we have traveled, do not have any landmarks, and have not passed the one landmark we have identified (Lithia-Pinecrest road). We still paddle downstream, but the trip is becoming more difficult, and it is getting later.

The river is opening a bit, and we are starting to get into some pastureland. Across the river in front is a fence and cable. Illegal yes, but it still exists. We back up, turn on the speed and are able to paddle right over the obstruction. Now we have a curve ball thrown at us. How many more will there be and will we be able to get past them. We are committed to continuing downstream. Ahead is another fence. This time, we have to portage around on dry land.

As a lot of people know, this can be controversial. The law says the People own all land up to the mean high water mark as determined by the Army Corps of Engineers. Ranchers typically have a differing point of view. It is not a conversation I care to have with a ranch hand in the middle of no where, so we carry the canoe around and paddle away as quick as possible.

Aside from the fences, this part of our trip is relatively clean. We are still paddling thru the pastureland and even pass under a small concrete bridge. Just past the bridge, on the left we see a tent and some balloons. It looks like some one is throwing a birthday party. I am feeling a little bit nervous and all eyes are on us while we pass. One gentleman yells out Are you guys paddling back upstream?Â

A

Anonymous

Friend Pirogue,

Glad ya'll are okay.

Bein' on the water after dark aint no fun. It warnt no fun when I done it the second time either. Same stretch of river. First time I wuz with some fellas in anuther canoe. They had a flashlite, but toward the end I couldnt keep up. Second time I wuz alone without any lite.

Glad there aint no strainers on the Mississippi (cept fer along the banks).

That time I wuz alone, I missed the dang take out. I caint recall many times in my life when I felt so down 'n out. Worst part wuz knowin' I had made some folks back home really worried. [This stretch drowns a fella 'er two near bout ever year.....lately some lock 'n dam buildin' fellas.]

Hypothermal iz real scairy too. When ya got a ways ta go 'n ya gotta paddle good, but yer arms 'n legs 'n hands wont work together, the joy kinda goes outta paddlin'. I hate ta even think about two fellas in a canoe gittin' real cold, tryin' ta think straight 'n paddlin' together.

We both made the same primary mistake.....poor plannin' by misjudgin' the time on the water. Amazin' how quick a paddle kin go frum joy ta sorrow. I'm sho glad ya'll iz safe.

regards,

bearridge

Oldtimer

Jan 21, 2004
Mis'sipy Delta--Temporarily
Pirogue,

Thank you a lot for that report. You're an honest man and a lot of fellows would have written that trip off and kept silent. Seems you're not short on integrity, knowin' where the buck stops. That report pointed out to my wife the reason I am putting together, for the second time in my life, some fairly expensive equipment in a small day pack--my "survival bag". I've always had one. Never had cause to use it but I'm a believer and the wife is, too......now that she read your report.

You're not alone in oversights. In my first year of backpacking we got caught at 13,000 feet in the worst blizzard in the Southwest in one hundred years. Herds of cattle were killed in the valleys. We had no mountain or heavy mountain weather experience. The only thing that saved us was good equipment and keeping calm. Howling winds, bone-breaking temperatures, and snow so thick you felt like you couldn't breathe--and it was difficult if you faced the wind. I took my light mountain parka off to set up the tent and it froze harder than a sheet of plywood before I finished. When I got my back-country permit the morning we took off, nobody mentioned the coming storm. I never checked the weather myself and didn't ask at the ranger station. The Lonesome Gods of the mountain looked kindly upon us.

Thanks again for that honest report and, in one of the favorite phrases of Louis L'Amour, "You'd do to ride th' river with." We learn from our experiences and, "if you ain't screwin' up, you ain't learnin'". Successes don't teach near as much as failures and trials by fire. Next time you go out, tip your head to the River Spirits.

Oldtimer

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Pirogue

Thanks for that honest report on your trip, I will bet there have been more folks in that situation then they will ever tell.

I like to take a small backpack with me on rivers I am not sure of (which are all rivers except the Econ , cause the house is a short walk from it) with the 10 essentials items for backpacking in it.

Extra clothing, Extra food, Extra water , knife, lighter, matches (waterproof) 1st aid kit, Flashlight, space blanket , candle lantern, whistle, sun block, compass, For down here Bug dope and sunglasses and a roll of TP.
In a small backpack or pack they don't take up much space and sure are nice if needed.
Chuck.

Pirogue

Thanks everybody for their concern. I wrote this and the Webmaster of another board posted it as an article. I wanted to let people know what taking a situation for granted can do to you.

The post does not adequetly reflect how we actualy felt on the paddle. I could have added many more details but couldn't figure out how to put them down.

Like I said, I am mad and embarassed. There was no reason for this to happen. You can bet, I will take steps to make sure it does not happen again.

Jack, you said I have guts and balls. With those, I guess I do not have the brain. Or at least didn't at the time. My wife says I am stubborn. It's true. But, that can be a down fall.

I guess it would be fine, as long as the precautions are in place.

I learned a lot.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
For any person to be a success at whatever they do - from bank president to bank robber - the first two essential ingredients are intelligence and tenacity. After that, values and judgement begin to form us. Values, we learn as young people from our folks, stories, teachers, and movies. Judgement, we learn from experience. We get experience by not having enough judgement to keep us from getting experience.

It's all a long process called growing up. And one day, not far into the future, I intend to get started on that process.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Pirogue, first I wanna say we're overly glad all turned out safe... perhaps not sound... but safe.
I bet there are and will be some who's very life will be saved from your article here.
I invest in all the debriefing here and would like to add one more thought that came to my mind as I read .... it was the experince of that paddle-drag that put me in mind of earlier paddlers and what they experinced.
The paddlers of yesterday and their reports offen reflect what we, nowaday, can experince ourselves out in the "boonies".
A board like this one is , can help equip the paddler ( notice I didn't say just the beginner?).
I for one need my "bell" rung to wake up out of a trip dream and get real!
Thanks again Pirogue, yer a man among men.

swampy

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Guy's

Put together a small pack with some goodies in it and throw it in your boat when paddling, then if things go sour you will be able to spent the night or have something with you to help in this type of situation.

After all we do want to see you here on the forum and in good shape....OK , so much for being in good shape .. :roll: .....just here with us. :D

Remember we/you are the ones that told John Depa what he should of had with him when he was paddling in Canada and he could not locate his camp that one night ... he did find it later but you need a emergency survival bag , even down here.
You know what I take , since I have already posted it.
Chuck.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
We ( the forum here) discused this emergency pack back where John Depa's Quetico report told of his out late away from camp in the dark. There is a basic list and there are "extras" for the individual. Keep it lite and keep it full!!
A basic belt pack will carry those goods that will insure against life threatning encounters.
Pirogue did one good thing... he carried his cell phone. At least he could report anything if a dangerous perdicument occured. Like the rest of us , I think, he continued onward, thinking his plight was nealy over... but hypothermia had taken it's tole... That is the big leason in his post. We paddlers are a hardheaded lot. We want, nay, demand to finish what we started out to do come hell or high water. We've got to get smarter, and drop some of that pride overboard. We now call that being safer on the water. ( or on a mountain top in a blizzard).
Experince teaches.... and it don't have to be our own. Then we can all laugh about it down the road.
I can just immagine the next trip Kevin and Pirogue plan.... :wink:
( and me too!) :lol:
swampy

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
OK Guy's

From the what it is worth department ..... As a Law Enforcement Person who for to many years went out and located folks having problems on the water I would like to tell you this.

The persons that I had to rescue, the smart ones had some emergency gear with them and were in good shape when I located them, the others who didn't were bug bitten and not in that good of shape and a few were non responsive (Dead). They did not object or add anything to my report when everything was over with.

If you are going to go on any water then take something with you to help you if there is a problem.

Pirogue did have the foresight to call his wife and let her know everything was OK and that stopped any rescue or search for them. Darn I wish a lot of folks would have done that then I could have been home in my nice warm bed and not out looking for them in the cold.

Take the necessary items for an unexpected night out on a river bank and if you do not have to use it then it will not spoil and can be taken on the next trip.
BUT TAKE IT WITH YOU , it does not do you any good at home. When you start to think you are having troubles ....STOP...Have a small fire and warm up then think about what is going on. Have a meal, talk about it. Spend the night if necessary or finish the trip in the moon light or the next day in the day light. DON'T keep pushing yourself. Your cell phone will let everyone know you are OK so what is the big push, if you are prepared for the emergency.

My list of the 10 items needed will take you thru the night, not in a lot of comfort but in some. MRE'S (Meals rejected by everyone) are nice, they have everything for a complete meal and are bomb proof.
So you are late getting home ... You are alive and to me that is what counts.
The wife can't cuss you out if the other happens........So don't do that to her .....after all you can always tell her .... Honey it was such a nice area we just decided to spend the night ... When do you want to go there. :wink:

Now that I have said my piece I want to leave you with this thought........... Remember the U.S.S.Minnow the Skipper & Gillian ......It started out as only a three hour tour. :D
Chuck.

Oldtimer

Jan 21, 2004
When you start to think you are having troubles ....STOP...Have a small fire and warm up then think about what is going on. Have a meal, talk about it. Spend the night if necessary or finish the trip in the moon light or the next day in the day light. DON'T keep pushing yourself.

That, to me, is one of THE most important items. Your body really does not like adrenalin and, although you may be in denial, parts of your brain still know the situation. A long run on adrenalin/stress will tire you out physically and mentally--make ya plumb stoopid. The above is particularly true for those of us who venture into colder climes. Hypothermia is as bad or worse in the initial stages as adrenalin. ACCEPTANCE, a little shelter, a warm fire, maybe a little tea or coffee, some instant soup and you'll start to relax a tad and THINK. Ma Nature is mighty big and can be plumb mean and ornery when bucked--best you don't try to bull it out and beat her......you'll lose.

In addition to what Chuck carries, I include an old Optimus 99 stove which has its own pot and pot handle, a Sierra cup, utility tool, instant beverages and soups, and a light-weight tarp. Naturally water is a given. I also carry primitive fire tools, including tinder, and primitive fishing gear. Lots of other things can go along to make life better according to your preferences. I carried all that crap on my back over terrain that makes me hurt to think about these days. All we're concerned about for the most part is paddlin' and that weight ain't no hill fer a climber in a boat and it all fits into a little day pack.

I'd really like to hear what other types of gear some of you carry since I'm havin' to rebuild my survival pack--anybody ever use one a them water filtratin' gadgets? Th' boat I ain't built yet ain't full but I guess I could try to sink that Blue Hole ol' Bearridge is gonna let me use......ya ain't listenin', are ya Bear... ol' buddy, ol' pal?...jes' funnin'. :oops: :D

Oldtimer

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
There is two different "emergency" packs that i may carry.
Let's start with one that stays packed all the time .
1) A belt pack with four diff compartments. This is used to carry "local" nesseseties. Like when the kids want to paddle to one of the local islands in the rivers here, or fishing, or a day paddle locally.
This pack has two emergency foil space blanket packs. These make great shelters, can collect rain water, reflecting properties for signals if need be.
A candle lantern with an extra candle.
A large ( compared to the military) can opener.
Sun screen and DEET.
Small sleeve of duct tape.
A Gerber knife/tool.
Extra pair of reading glasses.
An extra compass. ( Lensatic)
A flashlite and two extra batteries.
A whistle.
A small sewing kit.
Two fish hooks with about 25 foot of line ( 25 lb + test)
This pack is on me. I also always carry a lighter, and a pocket knife. A compass around my neck or secured to my life vest.
2) For the longer trips I carry the small belt pack and I load gear that I feel I'd need in case of over night stays. Here I place foods ( small stuff) in several packs. Dry tender ( dryer lint, and small liter knots if I have them). A day pack carries camera, GPS, cell phone another flash lite and several of those "glow sticks", Several snacks that may include cheese and crackers, rasins, several pieces of candy.
The canoe always has some container of fresh water, 100 feet of rope divided for the stems, two (min) paddles for solo and then if tandem, I carry a third paddle, lots of bungee chords, and a machette. These are a "must" then I may have something extra that I need for that particular paddle. Usually a drink and sometimes a small ice chest with a bag of ice in it. ( more for local paddles than a long term trip)
Then there is the knowledge of the geographic information on the river and along the river. For instance, the St. Mary's run last December, I saw that roads ran along side the river for the durration or length of the trip. You need to know what exits you have along the trip. This gets more complicated the longer the trip and the less I know about a river/lake.
I believe I carry more than I need to but I spread out gear in the event I happen to lose a pack to the river/lake.
This is a part of my gear, but life sustaining gear in the event weather, circumstances, or human error comes into play.
Oh! For local trips I carry extra snacks for the group ( usally two canoes involved) so I won't be the only one eating... :)
I have had several occations to break into the belt pack for shelter in a sudden summer rain storm, and another time for fire tender on a sandy island in the river to heat up a can of soup when river obsticles delayed take out.
There is gear that I haven't mentioned that goes into a lengthy paddle that is planned for that particular trip/river/camp, but the extra is there in the event that I or someone with me meets an event that could cause safety or phicical harm.
Think fire, shelter, food and knowing where you are ( location) as the basic needs out there. And oh yea, tell someone about your trip!
Here in NC I carry a .22 revolver with snake shot and some lead heads , this is for snakes who won't take no for a challenge. ( I have a concealment permit) If I do carry the pistol everyone in the group are told about it.
Stay safe and healthy out there.
Oldtimer: I am now looking for a hand held water purifier for back woods travel.
swampy

Oldtimer

Jan 21, 2004
Water Purification

Swampy,

I'm sending the URL below but it's the point at which I got started. It was here that I realized that water filtration and purification technology had evolved to a possibly worthwhile consideration. I don't know anymore about these things than is on that page but some of these units sound a helluva lot better than the nasty tablets of yesteryear. I kinda favor the General Ecology "First Need Deluxe" toward the bottom of the page. It's the only one "EPA certified" but I'm not sure that means anything other than the company belongs to the brother in law of somebody in the EPA. Their overall track record really doesn't inspire any confidence in me.

http://www.backcountry-equipment.com/hydration/filters.html

Whatcha think? About th' product(s), not the EPA. I'm afraid this expense is not in the immediate future for me but I'm still going to learn about them.

Oldtimer

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
You are better off with a purifier then a filter. The purifier takes all of the bad stuff out of the water.

A filter simply strains the water through pores, and effectiveness depends on the size of the pores. A purifier is an enhanced filter that uses a chemical treatment to neutralize viruses and reduce contaminates like pesticides, herbicides and heavy metals.

This is why I like and use the purifier. I use a PUR Explorer. Today they are owned by Katadyn who purchased Pur.
Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Chuckie's right. And, when it comes to drinking water and all the miseries it can bring a body, it's better to err in the direction of cleaning it up too much rather than not enough. Tain't fun to come out of the out back when you're jet propelled on both ends.

It's only critical.

A

Anonymous

Friend Kayak Jack,

If I git ta tellin' all the dumb stuff I done on the water 'er on a campin' trip, I reckon I'd use up all the room here. I got one tale that mite not save nobodys life, but mite turn a bad time inta a good time.

Once upon a time me 'n a buddy took our daughters 'n anuther little girl fer some late season (low water level) whitewater paddlin' over ta the Piney River in west Arkansas. It wuz a fun day 'n my daughter 'n her friend (ages 10-12?) paddled a Blue Hole OCA all 12 miles, cept fer "The Mother" which wuz too hard fer 'em. It iz a easy spot ta git out 'n walk round. [They didnt weigh much more'n a hunerd together so it wuz mitey hard fer them ta turn it over.]

Anyway, I got ta lollygagin' round, mind wanderin', figgerin' I wuz so good that it warnt no need ta pay much attention. I wuz gittin' sideways 'n droppin' over some very small ledges.....jest like Ole Steve Mizerak shootin' trick shots.

All of a sudden a river god turnt me bottom upwards. It warnt but 12" deep 'n the water warnt movin' fast, but I fell upstream 'n hit my back agin the ledge. It hurt considerable, but I held onta my paddle 'n self rescued.

Rest of the paddle (mebbe 2-3 miles) warnt no fun at all fer me. By the time I got out at Longpool, I wuz bent over like a ole man with a bad back.

My buddy had some powerful muscle looseners a doctor give him. [It wuz even more powerful than a BC Powder.] I got a cold beer 'n washed some down. It warnt long til I felt a heap better. Next day I wuz okay fer the long drive home.

If ya hurt ya back like that on a 30 day trip 'n ya dont have no dope, ya likely wont have much fun. I dont know a injun cure fer a hurt back. I figger its a poltice that smells somethin' awful, but some pills iz a heap better.......even if ya have ta trade the cow fer 'em.

regards,

bearridge

P.S. Them little gals did turn that OCA over on one of the purty decent rapids. I tole 'em jest ta line up rite, keep the paddles in the water 'n dont grab the gunnels. I went first 'n pulled out behind a rock so I kin yell at 'em if I had ta. It wuz some scairt little gals comin' thru, but they done what I tole 'em. Jest before they got ta the bottom they went ta smilin' 'n started twirlin' their paddles in the air. [My daughter seen a heap a show offs do that over ta the Nantahala.]

Same river god turnt 'em over too.

We all learnt some that day.

#1 river gods dont care fer a show off
#2 take some powerful dope along in case they put a whuppin' on ya

A

Anonymous

Swampy said:
Whacha reckeemend fer the nawthern trip? BC?

Friend Swampy,

I practice sayin' "Worcestershire sauce" & "you guys". I tote some moon pies, Royal Crown cola, hats with tractor 'er auto parts names 'n porcupine eggs (cuckaburs) fer tradin'. :wink:

I dont take no BC powder up that way cuz I dont want the police ta figger its nose candy when I snort a packet.

regards,

bearridge
bodine school, multiculture award