Alafia River, South Fork 2-07-04 (A very bad situation) | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Alafia River, South Fork 2-07-04 (A very bad situation)

A

Anonymous

Swampy said:
don't fergit to tote th sugar fer their tea! They won't add hit to th' glass fer ya!

Friend Swampy,

Dont that belong down under Tall Tales & BS? :wink:

regards,

bearridge

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Where am I now? Where do I want to be? How do I get there?

Let me take a different approach on this. Many of us have suggested a daypack/ emergency overnight pack, and have included items to help a paddler “endureâ€Â

Oldtimer

Jan 21, 2004
Mis'sipy Delta--Temporarily
Murphy's Law

Jack,

I agree with almost everything you say. I cannot imagine going into any area that I'm not thoroughly familiar with without a map and compass. It's a thing of mineâ€â€

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I have the predecessor to the Mc-2G Navigator. It is manually for declination. Does the "Global Needle" do that automatically? If so, that's an expensive gizmo to save 30 seconds of effort. Maybe I'm wrong?

Mine has he inclinometer too. I understand it, but never found a practical use for it.

The 1 degree accuracy is intuitively appealing, but - in field conditions the 2 degree accuracy was more than I've ever been able to hold or walk to anyway.

Oldtimer

Jan 21, 2004
Mis'sipy Delta--Temporarily
Global Navigator

Jack,

The 'global' aspect of this compass is not automatic declination correction but compensation for dips in the magnetic field. We don't need to worry about that in North America but in other parts of the world it seems to be problematic. There are two reasons for me to consider this compass. One the "dip compensation" is actually a magnet enclosed in the capsule to keep the needle from dipping and hitting the capsule and presenting inaccurate readings. In my normal use it would compensate for not having the compass level and throwing off the reading since the magnet keeps the needle parallel within the capsule. This magnet however, does not slow the responsiveness or swing of the needle. The second reason is that, where I would buy it, this top of the line model only costs $6 more than the model below it that doesn't have the compensation. In for a dollar what's another dime to go full boat?

Right. 1-degree of extra accuracy ain't much on the Eclipse but that's not the major difference in the two compasses. Besides, with all the error that gets introduced into compass naviagaion, why not have your equipment as accurate as it comes if you're paying good money to start with? Anyway, I'm a gadget nut who drools over precision equipment. That's not to be mistaken for drooling over eyewash. :wink:

Oldtimer

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Ya'll are touching bases with great remarks on outdoor traveling.
Knowledge and a "cool" head are indeed number one items to have .
For canoests, strainers and winds are the main villians in canoe traveling.
There are others, but these are pointed to as the two main accidental drowning reasons on rivers and lartge lakes.
Navigation, location and competence in paddle strokes, can save the day.
Rain will cause heavy trouble especially with lightning. Fog is another fact of life in spring and fall on large northern lakes. Those that have experinced that fog can tell others how thick andcomplete it becomes in just minutes.
Close yer eyes here Chuck.... Cliff Jacobson's " Expedition Canoeing" gives a great amount of information on this and other dangers out on the waters.
I have a GPS and to tell the truth, I am not that well versed with it. A Megellian that can enter the path that I travel ( showed a path into a section of woods from the road to a sight that I had marked a week earlier for turkey hunting) with extreme accuracy. It collects waypoints and can switch from nautical to land measurements. It has other functions but I have yet to work them. I'll be more knowledgable this fall with it.
A manual compass is always a must have/carry instument. They don't need batteries....
A topo map is a must have item on a trip. Even if you are not the "flight engineer" of the group, everyone must be "aboard" as to where they are on un-known and wild areas.
There are plenty of other items needed but these are some of the NEEDS of the trip.
Creature Comforts come after survival gear always.
Perhaps a true self evauluation should be the first item to address before heading out. Know your skills and limits first... plan accordingly.
swampy

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Where am I now? Where do I want to be? How do I get there

Navigating: I repeat the three critical questions above, because they define navigating. If you can answer these three questions, you are navigating. I find it’s best to re-answer them once in a while. Actually, I think we should do it about every 2-3 miles. How many times have you heard someone say, “I don’t know where I am within two miles!â€Â

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Man, I am glad that I paddle by myself ..... since I have NEVER been LOST. :wink:

I always knew where I was ......... it is just that the rest of the world got turned around and goofed up, more then one time. :lol: :lol:

By the way ........ when did the sun start setting in the East?
Chuck.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
a three beer drunk:
1) drink one
2) spill one
3) leave one

then there is the one that always has a cigarete butt in it...... :cry:

but i have noted that tea and coffee gets rid of all that.

swmapy

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Day Pack

Back on the day pack. If the WX is cool, I'd add my light fleece cap or wool watch cap for sleeping in at night.

And, of course, if John Depa is with me, a mesh anchor bag and a case of Black Lable beer.

A

Anonymous

Friend Kayak Jack,

I caint add nuthin' based on long time campin'/paddlin' away frum my pickup, but like I tole ya'll up above, I done a few dumb things paddlin' but made it thru. I'd add some wool gloves ta that pack.....smart wool aint that smart, but it sho feels good. Head, hands 'n feet gotta stay warm. I been in some mitey cold water on a mitey cold day in some mitey wet wool socks without hurtin' too bad....so a pair a them would be nice too.

Ole hypothermal kin ruin a trip mitey fast. I been pushin' my limit in cold weather paddlin'. Them wetsuits likely look okay on Mister Bon Jovi, but az ya kin see in them pichurs I put up on my webshot spot, they dont show me in my best lite. :mrgreen:

Reckon stayin' warm iz #2 behind drinkin' water, but runnin' out of either can kill ya. I reckon keepin' the water under the boat iz high up on my list, but it aint nothin' ya put in a bag fer that. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

regards,

bearridge
sideways bound school

It ain’t what ya don’t know that hurts ya. What really puts a hurtin’
on ya is what ya knows for sure, that just ain't so. -- Uncle Remus

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
I have used wader socks for times when rain'river wants to invade the boat/canoe. They are warm, and dry. Then tennis shoes suffice over them. These socks are about $12-15 a pair. Worth a thousand when needed.

swampy

A

Anonymous

Swampy said:
I have used wader socks

Friend Swampy,

I got some frum Mister Walton's Store, but they take up more room than wool socks. After a dunkin', I'd like ta git off the water 'n have some dry wool....jest fer comfort. I figger neophrene iz warmer'n wool. Its been trips when I pulled the neophrene rite over the wool socks. Ever paddled 'n had snowflakes land on ya? :?

I reckon a big black garbage bag mite come in handy 'n it wont take up a heap a room in a survivin' bag. Cheaper'n a space blanket 'n ya kin do more stuff with it. [Me'n you 'n Kahuna better take two.] :wink:

regards,

bearridge

P.S. I guess ya oughta have both socks. One time I cut a hole fer my head 'n one fer each arm in a black garbage bag. Kept the rain off 'n body heat in. Didnt look like no high dollar outfit tho. :mrgreen:

Lord, the money we do spend on Guviment 'n it’s not one bit better'n the guviment we got fer one-third the money twenty years ago. Will Rogers

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Bro Bar, the kind of wader socks I haz regular size. And compared to mah wool socks they lays up thinner.
I haz paddled in sleet, and cold, and cold rain... hence th' wader socks.
Woolies cost th same.
The garbage bag is good if yer not gonna move abouts or swing yer arm paddlin... fer that ya need a cheap plastic suit. I perfer the cheap suit cause at $7-9 and a little care they last a year. But not in heavy wear.
Bags cover a multitude of sins outback.

swampy

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Wader Socks

Are you guys talking about neoprene socks? Or Gore Tex? I have some neoprene socks, but don't care for the wetness if I can get away from it.

A hunting buddy of mine really likes his gore Tex socks, puts them over some polyester sock liners, and covers with either another pair of polyester sock liners or wool, according to temperature.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Jack, I'll be darned if I know. I don't think them Goretex. But neither do I believe youd want to put anything over them either. The wader socks are found where waders are sold. They are a foam sock. Standard heigth. They fit snug and keep my toes warm in the cooler waters.
If shoes get wet and can't dry out before you need them, the socks work great in that situation. Last time I used them under my snake boots which are water proof.
swampy
they may have "bubber" under them :wink:

Pirogue

I was trying like hell to find a link to a local news service on the story, but here goes.

It looks like a grandfather and his 2 grandkids were stuck out on the Alafia river west of the Alderman's Ford park. Evidently they were found by the Sheriffs helicopter around 10:30pm.

PPPPPP

Pre Planning Prevents Pi## Poor Performance