anchor trolleys | SouthernPaddler.com

anchor trolleys

Tor

I intend to have the option to use an anchor on the south wind I'm building.

I am thinking that I'll put a stainless hoop at each end and run a line in a loop between them. I'd really like to use pulleys at each end but can't find anything small enough.

Which side and what's the recommended diameter of line I should consider 4mm/6mm?

I've never used a yak for serious fishing so I really have no idea, I've just read a lot... :D

Tor

Manjimike

Jun 18, 2007
Manjimup, West Australia
Yes I can lock it so I can sit at any angle to the wind and current.
With the middle carabiner I can unclip from the other end of the rope and pull it all forward and tow the kayak over shallow bits or tie off to a tree.
Pulleys are expensive and not required.

Cheers Mike

Manjimike

Jun 18, 2007
Manjimup, West Australia
Those two clam cleats are opposing each other, so depending on whether anchor is fore or aft as to which one you choose for the anchor, then the other one is used for the trolley line.

Cheers Mike

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Mike,

Looks like the carabiner rides back and forth on the trolley, and can be positioned anywhere for' and aft. You'd string the anchor line through the carbiner, so that the anchor ends up positioned wherever you put the carabiner. You can even change that location with the anchor deployed, if you need to. And the bitter end of the anchor line gets secured to the boat at a cam cleat so as to set the scope (length) of the anchor line.

The fourth picture of the five shows the carabiner clipped to an eye, which is confusing... I'm guessing that it is clipped there simply because the boat isn't in use and you didn't want the 'biner flopping around...? And the third picture shows a carabiner that doesn't move at all - it's simply being used as a pulley. Have I got this figured out, or should I go have another touch of bourbon?

George

Manjimike

Jun 18, 2007
Manjimup, West Australia
gbinga said:
And the third picture shows a carabiner that doesn't move at all - it's simply being used as a pulley. Have I got this figured out, or should I go have another touch of bourbon?

George
Hi George,
Yep youhave it all right but don't let me stop you having another bourbon :)
The rear caribiner is hooked onto a couple of loops of bungy cord.
I also used a carabiner here so that if I want I can remove the rope fom here and the opening of the other carabiner and pull the rope forward to use as a tow rope.
That link explains it well

Cheers Mike

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
gbinga said:
Here's a link that does a pretty good job of describing the system.

http://coloradokayakfishing.com/articles/anchor.html

They mention that you should be careful about anchoring sideways in any sort of current or strong waves, which sounds like good advice!!

I think I'll set up something like this on my boat. I like it.

GBinGA

Thanks for the link...it's all very clear now.

Tor

savannahkelly said:
I have also just added anchor trolleys to my boat. Check my build thread
http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5899&start=45 to see how my install looks.

I like that thanks.

Also I've read somewhere to be careful not to secure the anchor rope too firmly to the kayak but to use some sort of quick release system/knot, apparently yaks don't bob on the surface if they're stuck to the bottom of the sea.

Has anyone tried using a length (say 6 feet) of heavy chain as an anchor, I would imagine it could be set to give a slow drift?

Tor

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Tor said:
Has anyone tried using a length (say 6 feet) of heavy chain as an anchor, I would imagine it could be set to give a slow drift?

Done it with a jonboat before. It worked OK. Have not tried it with a pirogue or a 'yak.

GBinGA

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
I got my anchor trolley on tonight. I was going to add a couple of clam cleats facing different directions to keep the trolley in position but I'm not sure I'm going to need to yet. I'm going to try it out first then add the cleats if needed. It looks good and should definitely function as intended. Thanks for the information that everyone provided in this thread.

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
Manjimike said:
Greg, the main reason I put the 2 on, was so that I can lock the anchor in place whether is fore or aft

Cheers mike

I figured that out today when I tried it out. I'll be putting the 2nd clam cleat for the anchor line tomorrow. Today was a little windy so it was a perfect test day and it worked perfectly. I love it.