AndrewP's Stealth Yakoo | SouthernPaddler.com

AndrewP's Stealth Yakoo

andrewp

Aug 27, 2003
Orlando, FL
Chuck asked, and I'll try to show some of the pictures of what I am building. This is a work-in-progress, so check back as I add new photos.

I'm working off of a variation of Richard Frye's Yakoo (Kayak/Canoe), called the Stealth Yakoo. The basic form is a pirogue that is 12" high at the bow, sloping to 8" or so at the stern, and is 16' long from tip to tip, and 27" across at the widest point. It will be eventually decked so that it will be a either a decked canoe or a more opened kayak. I do not plan any Eskimo rolls with this boat!!!!

First, here is a picture of Richard Frye in a Yakoo Stealth, in cameo colors ... http://community.webshots.com/photo/958 ... 9142WbYcJN

To start with, you use the plans for the Cheap Canoe that you can get from Bateau boats. Cut out the sides and braces to spread the middle, and then stitch stems together -- like this: http://community.webshots.com/photo/958 ... 0964NKULQr

Add the bottom on and stitch, and you get this:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/958 ... 0652OBJJfY

I'll add some more photos later as I tape the seams and start to epoxy ...

andrewp

Aug 27, 2003
Orlando, FL
Swampy: Yes, I do plan on hatches for the decks, and I've been giving the whole deck/hatch plan a lot of thought .......

My first inclination was to go with a "U" or "V" shaped crown. I have even cut the "V" braces (U -shaped would be prettier, but much more work for me). I would just have a "V" shaped hatch. However, a "V" deck might force me to carry the boat bottom-side down, leaving the cockpit open to fill up with rain on a drive.

I am also considering just making the deck flat. That would simplify carrying on the rack (bottomside up). Also less wind resistance (not sure how big a difference), but water would not shed off the deck easitly -- would need some type of coaming.

The hatch .... I think I'm going to try and keep it simple -- it will not need to be flush with the deck, although I want to make it as waterproof as I can. Not sure about it's design .....

I'll post the hatch-making question on the other forum for seroius boatbuilding questions ....

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
That's ambitous Andy!
I'm leaning heavily on using nylon to cover an open deck. This will allow to place boat upside down for truck rack and I can adjust the load heigth in each situation. I had a pattern some 15 years ago... don't know where it's at but remember that stainless snaps were glued(?) or screwed (?) into the gunnels. This will create a cockpit where I can drain the floor with a sponge/plastic bottle set up. It is the hole for the mast that I am pondering.....
swampy

aub77

Nov 15, 2003
Birmingham, Alabama
Swampy,

In case you are interested: I did see some screw on stainless steel snaps at Academy Sports recently. On the same aisle as paddles, deck plates, and other fasteners such as stainless steel screws. Seems like they were about 3.50 for a six-pack. Or was that beer.....???

andrewp

Aug 27, 2003
Orlando, FL
Update: It has taken me quite some time to keep this project going, due to many other constraints on my time. However, I have spent some time recently and want to let you know what's happened.

The last picture shows the boat with the bottom installed. All joints have been epoxyed filled and taped (inside and outside). All sides and bottom have been covered with epoxy.

I have decided and I'm now installing the decking system on the boat. I opted for a flat deck, because of simplicity.

I used 2" long 1" square blocks and attached them to the inside gunnell at 12" intervals along the sides. I then ran cross-bracing frames that attached the blocks (making a 2" rectangular brace). I left one brace out so that I could have a larger area in case I want to cut in a large hatch.

The top deck is 1/8" doorskin luan ply. It's mainly there to keep water out -- I didn't try to make the deck so solid that someone could sit on it. I wanted to try and keep things light.

Right now, I do not have a bulkhead sealing up the covered area. In fact, I may opt to not have any bulkhead at all, but just a small wooden raised seam. I think I might cut a piece of canvas, and then velcro the canvas sides so they could attach to the seam, to help create a "splash barrier". Just an idea ....

Pictures to come here later this week ........

andrewp

Aug 27, 2003
Orlando, FL
OK, new photos and updates ....

I am covering the first and last 6' of my Stealth Yakoo with 1/8" doorskin paneling. I think I will also create a 4" side panel to run in the middle.

The decking sites flat on the gunnells, braced underneath by small 3" blocks of pine spaced every 12". Small bulkhead braces run across the boat from block to block. This makes a very nice "grid" on whick to epoxy the deck and give it rigidity.

A section of the braces was left open to form a 2' wide area in which I can later come in and cut in a hatch.

Well, here are some updated photos. You can see the front deck in place and starting to get a top coat of epoxy. You can see the bracing for the stern section of decking. The center brace will be removed shortly ...

Since this picture, I have attached the aft deck and it is now drying in the garage ......

http://community.webshots.com/photo/958 ... 8664wOSBDg

Here is a side view with my "clinker-style" pirogue in the picture as well ...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/958 ... 8871GZGMpV

More pictures later .......

A

Anonymous

Andy,

Just thought I would check in and see how things are going with the Yakoo. I have contemplated the Yakoo Angler and just so happen to have three sheets of 1/8" in the building. Must do something with it!! I don't really think that I would try to slope the deck but I may try and put some camber (hope thats the right word) on it. I just wonder how the stability would be with the bottom only being about 23".

Rex

gpratt

Jan 29, 2004
St. Cloud, FL
Looking Good!

I would like to come over to talk with you and see your boats some weekend. Would also like to go talk to Chuck and see his stuff. I saw a post that you said you'd like to go over to Chuck's place also. Maybe we could work something out and go together sometime if it's alright with Chuck. PM me for phone #s so we can talk about it if you are interested.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I am always ready to talk shop , just have to get Andrew in gear. Actually you could hit both places since his place is on the way to mine.

In a week or so the Swamp Girl will be done ..or should be done....I hope
Then you could test paddle it , and if andrew came with you then we could get two opions about it. :D

Make sure you have your rain gear .... for some reason it always rains when I get a boat near any form of water. :lol: :lol:
Chuck.