Another first time builder... | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Another first time builder...

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Get two pieces of wood and some waxed paper.

Flatten out the damaged area as best you can. Then put some thickned epoxy on both sides ,waxed paper over it and clamp with the two boards.

Once it sets up it will be just as strong or stronger than it was and after you glass the boat all you will see is an area that is darker than the rest of the boat.

P.S. Remember , it has been said ' the wood is just the filling. The glass and epoxy are what makes the boat " :lol: :roll: :wink: :mrgreen:

Running for cover here boss.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
a Bald Cypress said:
P.S. Remember , it has been said ' the wood is just the filling. The glass and epoxy are what makes the boat " :lol: :roll: :wink: :mrgreen:

Running for cover here boss.

Pant , Puff ..... Puff ... pant..... puff ... puff .... gasp .... choke..... Dang , he can run fast for a Lous e anna Geezer. :roll:

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
The family and the yard protested enough in the last two weeks that I figured I better spend some time with them. This week too, but I did manage to put in a little work today. Glued up one rail today:

It doesn't matter how many times you dry fit it, or how many clamps you have, 14.5 feet of wet glue makes you nervous :oops: :| :shock:

The pine boards are there to help maintain a fair curve. I've found, in the past two weeks, that the sides have begun to sag under the weight and bow out on the bottom.

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Update, sort of.

I finally have the rails glued on. But now, it seems, the sides are bowed a little, from sitting with no support on the bottom. I turned it over tonight to see if the heavier top would "pull" it back into shape. Here's a pic:

If you follow the curve of the bottom (on the left side), you can see the bow (compared to the right side). It did relax somewhat after I flipped it.

I'm not too worried about it right now. I'm sure I can coax it into shape somehow.

Won't be working on it this weekend. Mother-in-law's in the hospital in Shreveport, so we're hitting the road tomorrow morning.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Dang Russell,

Shreveport 'n Mena, Arkansaw got hit purty dang hard last nite. Big storms lookin' fer the Master of Flow Bizness. US 90 closed after it found him hidin' out down in Chuculota. I hope it missed the hospital. Miz Bear 'n me got up when the sireens went ta wailin' round midnite. I wondered if Darrell wuz layin' out in hiz tarp.....then I realized where I wuz. It wuz the sireens that tipped me off that the High Sheriff wuz not layin' inside a burrito/tent a few yards off.

regards
bearridge

[D]emocracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security, or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths.  James Madison

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
rpecot said:
Update, sort of.

I finally have the rails glued on. But now, it seems, the sides are bowed a little, from sitting with no support on the bottom. I turned it over tonight to see if the heavier top would "pull" it back into shape. If you follow the curve of the bottom (on the left side), you can see the bow (compared to the right side). It did relax somewhat after I flipped it.

I flipped mine yesterday and while there is no significant bowing, there is a little waviness. I'm not sure that I can really get rid of it. I doubt it will be noticeable but I still don't like it.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
If it is really bugging you, here is an idea.

Get a couple of scraps of wood long enough to run from stem to stem near the bottom. Like rub rails, but down near the bottom edge. You don't have to attach them - just tack them to the boat where each rib is and then clamp them to each other at each end. What this amounts to is a temporary exterior chine. Like what you see on some of the pics Seedtick has posted, except it isn't going to be part of the boat, it's just temporary.

This will establish a fair curve on the outside of the hull. Any part of the side panel that was curving too far outward will be pushed back in where it belongs.

If you find some parts of the side panel that are curving INWARD, cut sticks of wood to jam in place to push the side panels out against your temporary chine. Probably won't have to tack them - just friction to hold them in place. Now your hull is perfectly fair.

You just have to watch out not to end up with any of these items glued in place when you glue the bottom on.

George

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
gbinga said:
Get a couple of scraps of wood long enough to run from stem to stem near the bottom. Like rub rails, but down near the bottom edge. You don't have to attach them - just tack them to the boat where each rib is and then clamp them to each other at each end. What this amounts to is a temporary exterior chine. Like what you see on some of the pics Seedtick has posted, except it isn't going to be part of the boat, it's just temporary.
George, I guess great minds think alike. :D This is exactly what I had in mind. I've got one of my original rails still intact and a couple pieces I will fasten together to make it long enough. Just haven't figured in my mind how exactly I would fasten them at the stems. I'm thinking it will be a "just do it" type of solution.

And now that I've had the boat upside down, resting on the center rail, the bow is much less pronounced.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
rpecot said:
Just haven't figured in my mind how exactly I would fasten them at the stems. I'm thinking it will be a "just do it" type of solution.

I put screws in the ends of the pieces so that a C clamp would have something to grab onto and not go squirting off into space from trying to put it on to an angled surface. I think I used a couple of "dammit tools" before the process was over. :D

George

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Been out a few days, but I managed to get in a little work today. Got my bottom panel scarfed and glued up today. Hopefully I can close up that big hole in the bottom next week 8)

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
I don't want to embarrass Keith and seedtick, so no pictures this time. :roll: (yeah, right, the batteries in my camera are dead :lol: )

Scarf joint on the bottom panel looks good. :eek: I rough cut the bottom out tonight. Really starting to look like a boat now. Slow progress...

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
I finally glued down the bottom panel today. It's still in clamps, so the jury's out on how well it went. And I thought gluing on the rub rails was nerve wracking. :roll:

Notice my work bench? That's the strongback for the Bear Mountain Prospector. That's next. (Don't tell my wife) :wink:

I went and bought the pumps for the West System epoxy. With the 206 hardener, 406 colloidal silica, and some wood flour from the sander, I made up a one-pump test batch, just to play around really. Here's my test piece, with a little scraping, but before sanding:

I used a plastic (picnic) knife to make the fillet. It's all I could find at the time. :roll:
Here it is, sanded and cleaned off with some mineral spirits:

I was happy with the tint the wood flour gave it. It's very pale in my little bucket. Darkened up nicely in the epoxy.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Unless my eyes are deceiving me that GLUE you used on the bottom looks like the normal run of the mill , everyday , as advertised , ( water solvable , even if they say it isn't ) GLUE. :evil: If it is I sure hope you plan on using some epoxy and then fiber glassing the whole dang thing. Unless you just like repeating steps when making a boat. :wink:

Don't know about the rest of the folks on here but when I say glue , it is epoxy and nothing else , so far none of my boats have had me swimming or hiking out because they came apart , or even when I was making them. :roll:

HINT........ When doing the fillets , use an old charge card to form the fillet after it is in place , it does a wonderful job of making it uniform in shape. No charge cards to us then a plastic spoon ...it will do the trick and save you a ton of sanding , unless you love to sand things.

Chuck.

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
oldsparkey said:
Unless my eyes are deceiving me that GLUE you used on the bottom looks like the normal run of the mill , everyday , as advertised , ( water solvable , even if they say it isn't ) GLUE. :evil: If it is I sure hope you plan on using some epoxy and then fiber glassing the whole dang thing. Unless you just like repeating steps when making a boat. :wink:
Chuck - as usual, I hit the "submit" button a little too quick. I wanted to mention my next steps, and some rationale behind them.

First off, yes, it's glue-glue. Titebond III. It says it's water proof. I'll never find out for sure (on this project, at least), cause the whole darn thing is getting fiberglassed and epoxied. Having little to no experience with epoxy, I decided to use Titebond to put the boat together. And I must say, I have been impressed with it's strength so far.

But now comes the bottom panel. I have my doubts about a 5mm wide end grain glue-up on the side panels to the bottom. So the plan is, glue up with Titebond. Once the glue is set, take off the clamps, then very gently flip the boat and dive into the epoxy and fillet the bottom to the sides. After the epoxy sets, flip it again and trim the bottom. Then I'll be ready for epoxy and glass.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Titebond......

Yep know it quite well , used it to hold the red wood strips together on the stripper pirogue I made ... That was when the panels were on the work bench , then some epoxy along the seams , before they managed to get into shape for the sides and bottom then it was some epoxy on them. When the whole thing was together , glass inside and out with about 4 saturating coats of epoxy.

That Red Wood ( Not Cedar , California Red Wood ) sure soaked up the epoxy. That is one well saturated pirogue plus the wood is moisture proof just like Cedar with all of the natural oil in it which is poison to the bugs. I really don't think a bug will get threw that epoxy , fiberglass but if they do , it will be one sick bug and the boat still will not leak or absorb any water.

The 1st stripper Pirogue made. :D
pirogue%20040.jpg

Chuck.
rpecot ... The next get together when you do the crawdads with the corn on the cob with the new taters ..... Plus the sausage remind me to have some of the sausage and not to look at that mountain of crawdads and all the rest. Old farts miss some good stuff at times. :lol:

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
That's a pretty boat Chuck! :D

I took a couple more baby steps today. Took off the clamps and flipped it. Hey, it looks like a boat now! 8)

Made up a small batch of epoxy and silica and filleted one end of the pirogue. So now I have one data point on mixing epoxy - three pumps is enough to fillet one end section. :D I didn't add any wood flour, as the inside will get painted. I bought some plastic spreaders from HD and they have a nice rounded edge which I used to make the fillet.

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Kayak Jack said:
That's a neat looking shop, Russ. In fact - TOO neat. Drop and gimme 10, maggot!
Notice how my pictures are zoomed in? The subject fills the frame? When I get home this evening I'll post a wide angle shot. :shock: Ask my wife, I've never been accused of being neat. :lol: :lol: