Another first time builder... | Page 5 | SouthernPaddler.com

Another first time builder...

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Each new step seems to be more stressful than the last. Today's step: wetting out the fiberglass.

All in all, it went well. As with the other tasks, my technique seemed to improve as I progressed. I'm still waiting for the epoxy to cure a little more before I pull the tape. One lesson I learned today: it is better to cut the fiberglass cloth short rather than long.

And now, the required pictures:

and a close up:

Looks like there's a chance I'll be done before the next rendezvous. :lol:

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Steve said:
Russ, are you planning to graphite the bottom or leave the EKG where it can be seen?
Epoxy, then varnish. I put the "pretty" face of the plywood on the outside. I'll paint the inside.

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
I probably should have taped off my rub rails like you did but not turned out good...all the excess epoxy I brushed down filled in any spaces that were between the rub rails and the boat. Also, after all the coats of epoxy I sort of have a mini fillet between the rub rail and the boat. How did the sides go? The sides were a little more difficult to me to get right. Looking awesome btw!

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
bluegrasslover said:
How did the sides go? The sides were a little more difficult to me to get right.
The sides were definitely a challenge. It became apparent early on the importance of wetting out the entire top first, working to the edges, then evenly down the sides. I only have a handful of bubbles to fix. They are mostly around the stems, where I had the glass overlapping from one side to the other.

bluegrasslover said:
Looking awesome btw!
Thanks! 8)

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
rpecot said:
where I had the glass overlapping from one side to the other.

I saw how you cut your glass to overlap. I should have done that. I cut right at the stems then added an overlapping piece later. I think your way was probably easier and will probably look better.

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Not much progress to report. As much as I enjoy the woodworking aspect of this process, I'm beginning to hate the epoxy aspect. I should have just bit the bullet and bought the big a$$ containers of resin and hardener. Anyway, I'm still working on my fill coats on the exterior. I'm at the point where I'm going to be sanding for a while. :evil:

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
I with you buddy. Epoxy is definitely not the funnest finish I've ever put on. I put on what I hope to be the last coat on the inside tonight. If it is, it's the end of epoxy for me (woohoo!) and on to paint and finish.

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Unfortunately, not much more to report. With the wife home from school all summer, the "honey do" list has taken priority over the pirogue. :evil: I have managed to slap on a coat of epoxy from time to time, but no real progress to speak of. I built a jig to hold the boat on edge for working on the sides. That should help getting the outside done. Let's hope :roll:

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
islandpiper said:
russel, hey man, wondered where you were!! good to see a post from your busy boatshop!! piper
Piper - I'm still around, just been a busy summer. Still busy with the kids back in school, but I have managed to sneak some time on the boat here and there. I'm close to having the exterior finished. I'm ready to finish this thing and get it in the water!

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
As I've said earlier, not much progress over the summer. Trying to get back after it again... Here's where I'm at...

Here's the jig I built to hold the boat on it's side:

(and now maybe the accusations of a "clean shop" will go by the wayside)

Finishing up the fill coats on the sides:

Sand, sand, sand... Just needs a little touching up...

The seat. Need some brads.

Getting ready to tackle the interior now.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
If you will drill some holes in the slats , slightly smaller then the brads you are going to use the slats will not split , but I'm sure you know that.
I also put a little epoxy under mine , just to make sure they stay in place later down the river. :wink:

Chuck.