Another Graphte Coating | SouthernPaddler.com

Another Graphte Coating

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Gave my "Truck Boat" pirogue some luv. The bottom was scuffed, epoxy paint on the hull dull and stained. The varnished topside needed refurbishing. Cleaned and lightly sanded everything. Graphite coated the bottom. Varnished everything else. Still shows character but I think it looks better and ready for more service.

The graphite coating is a tractor and equipment oil base paint with graphite combined. Tractor Supply store sells it for coating tractor buckets, trailer beds, etc. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/e ... ating-1-qt
I did two coats with a brush per directions but they were splotchy and appeared thin. Using a foam roller I applied the third coat. It was very thick and very slippery but the graphite dust came off onto anything it touched. Seemed to be similar to the homemade coating formula but with too much graphite.

I'm sure it would have provide serviceable protection as it was but the smudging was annoying so I coated it with epoxy.

A better roller and thinner coats would have produced a better coat. This product appears to be a viable option especially if trying to build on a tight budget.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
After one and one half years of wear it is time to replace the coating. Probably could have filled in the gouges and worn spots and still had adequate protection. but I want to try something different.
I was disappointed in the paint until I started removing it. Lots of missing graphite but there were no places where the wood had been exposed. The garage floor paint probably contributed most of the protection. My conclusion is there may be better coatings but this one is easy to apply, not to costly, and could be refreshed easy enough.
Took some effort, time, sand paper and made a mess to remove. Scrapers worked best to get started and then belt sander. Finished with orbital 120 grit.

Called out "the big gun".

beekeeper