Another Pirogue builder here! | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Another Pirogue builder here!

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
oldsparkey said:
Kayak Jack said:
OH oh! More fly fishermen types. There goes the neighborhood. sigh

Jack .. I will really wreck your day , on top of fly fishing they live in the general area where I do (Central Florida) :lol:

Chuck.
Sorta cuts down on their potential for having some redeeming social value. Good thing they fly fish and build wood boats. We can forgive the other problem.... :roll:

TradGlenn

Jun 26, 2007
Central Florida
FLAMIKE---Yeah I saw that there were a few Floridians on here, which just makes sense.

I live just outside of Leesburg in Lake County and I do most of my fishing on the saltwater flats out of Ozello. I also have a few small ponds in Ocala National Forest I like to fish but they are starting to dry up fast.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
You Florida crackers keep reading, and you'll see that you neighbors aren't the only ones hits net has drawn together. Guys in the South, Midwest, Australia, England, Canada, .... Interesting how guys meet here first, then in person.

(I was sad & disappointed when I met some of them. LOTS better on a computer. sigh)

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Jack when I Read your post I was thinking the same thing about two certain geezers on there last trip which I will with hold there names. :lol:

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
TradGlenn,

Leesburg I can find. Spent a number of years with A Co., 2/124 Inf, FLARNG. The Armory was right there in Leesburg. I liked the area. Supposed to be some prime Bass fishing all around there.

I plan on building a flats boat based on Uncle John's Jon boat design. Plenty of good, well protected inshore fishing, all along the coast around Homosassa, Crystal River, and closer to me, Hernando Beach, all the way down to Anclote Island.

Some of those places will also be accessible to the Pirogue!

Once we get ours built, we should look into getting together. Problem is, my days off are Monday through Thursday. I kind of like that, as many places that are crowded on weekends are nicely vacant when I get to them.

Say. . . I thought you started this thread talking about the Pirogue you were building. . . 8)

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
TradGlenn

Heck ..... slide over on 44 to the Ocklawaha River Outpost at Eureka and see Joe or Val, they own and run the outpost.
Then paddle the Ocklawaha and fish it , all that water coming into it from the Silver River keeps the fish happy.

Just watch out for Joe , he is not right in the head and proof of that is he is a member of this nutty forum and a fun person to know. :lol:

Chuck.

TradGlenn

Jun 26, 2007
Central Florida
oldsparkey said:
TradGlenn

Heck ..... slide over on 44 to the Ocklawaha River Outpost at Eureka and see Joe or Val, they own and run the outpost.
Then paddle the Ocklawaha and fish it , all that water coming into it from the Silver River keeps the fish happy.

Just watch out for Joe , he is not right in the head and proof of that is he is a member of this nutty forum and a fun person to know. :lol:

Chuck.

I know where that shop is and it is only about a 40 minute ride from the house. This time of year you are best to fish that section of river during the week and when it is storming.....lots of tourist!

By the way I finished my chair for the boat last night. All I have to do now is stain and seal it. It is really a comfortable seat to!

Next will be the boat whic I hope the kit will get here next week.

Fun stuff!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Here is a picture of the one wimperdink made. A good picture of a Uncle Johns model and how it looks when made.

boatseat02.jpg

Scooter notched out the front support like I designed for the seat so it fits over the center rib in the pirogue and remains stationary for the paddler.
2007_0430Image0016.JPG

This is a picture of the 1st one made. When I sent the plans to Uncle John , he added more slats to the seat then I had with it.
Just shows that we take an idea and then improve on it. I am sure there will be more improvements as builders continue making them.
As you can see it is in the Freedom and not a pirogue , they are not just for pirogues.
freedom%20077.jpg

Chuck.

TradGlenn

Jun 26, 2007
Central Florida
Update**

Received the UJ kit today and will begin the boat building tomorrow. I am thinking if making the boat around 14' and will be using a 4th rib, which I will have to copy and cut out.

Let the fun begin!

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
TradGlenn,

Since no one else asked, guess I will.

Have you built anything like this before? Knowing that might help others when they offer up advice and suggestions.

As for the 4th rib, does than mean you intend to make it with a somewhat wider beam? That's what I'm doing on mine, but it's 15'8", and I wound up putting in a 5th rib, right in the center.

Nice thing about that was unlike a 4 rib UJ Pirogue, that 5th rib sits right on the center butt joint, just like the middle rib on the original 3-frame boat. (Kind of like an extra backing plate on the butt joint.)

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

TradGlenn

Jun 26, 2007
Central Florida
Nope I've never built a boat before but I do have minimal wood working skills.

My great Uncle used to build Plywood Cat fishing boats for commercial Cat fisherman here in Central Florida. My father used to help him out in his shop when he was a teenager and the stories always intrigued me.

I look back at pictures of him building those boats and wish he would have kept notes of building plywood boats but it was all in his head.

Ok nuff with the story telling :lol:

I am just going to build it with the 3 ribs and still shoot for 14'. I am going to be using 1/4" Exterior grade Luan. I had to go thru the whole stack at Home Depot to find 2 good sheets but I think I made out alright. Gonna order my epoxy Monday and hopefully begin building by next weekend.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
TradGlenn said:
Ok nuff with the story telling
Friend Glenn,

No sir. Stand 'n deliver. Soon az ya git a chance. :wink:

regards
bearridge

Excess on occasion is exhilarating. It prevents moderation from acquiring the deadening effect of a habit. W. Somerset Maugham

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
3 panel UJ standard pirogue, is magnificent in its looks and simplicity and ease of build. Only one will never be enough. :D .

Once you get her done and paddle her a few times, simply modifications for the next one to make it more suitable or what you want to do in it will come to mind. then the fun really begins. :twisted: :D

Oh yeah,

Don't hold back on the stories mate. Weez Geezers and we love to hear em. :D