Another Wally World paddle | SouthernPaddler.com

Another Wally World paddle

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Inspired by Piper's "quick and easy " thread , I bought two 5' Featherlite paddles with the intention of making a kayak paddle. Not wanting to cut the paddles and find out that they were " not quite" the right length, I came up with this idea for the trial fit.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa10 ... clamps.jpg

( It took me a try or two but I got it to work.... Chuck.)
paddleclamps.jpg

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Thanks , Swamprat. I was going back and forth triying to figure where I went wrong. Here's another angle.

paddleonpiro.jpg

Man, can you flat fly with one of these jobbies?! It's like day and night. No J stroking --- just alternate strokes and she goes straight and fast. Best 20 bucks I ever spent.

Gotta put some kind of drip caps on the shafts. This baby WILL get you wet. I'll adjust the length until I find one I like and will post some more pics.

Later, Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Joey, until you get something better, try tying a length of cord around the paddle a few wraps. Tie it off in a slip know, and let the tail dangle down. Separate the wraps if you can, this traps water a bit better. The tail acts as a guide for the water to follow down.

I like these because they don't hang up on weeds and such when paddling through moose pasture.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I'll try that idea, Jack. Now that you mention it , I saw that in a documentary about people doing research in the South American rain forest. They hung their hammocks and tied a string to the support ropes about a foot down from the tree and let the tail hang down to do the same thing.
Another opportunity for my wife to say " How do you KNOW ALL THAT STUFF?!".

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
jdupre' said:
Man, can you flat fly with one of these jobbies?! It's like day and night. No J stroking --- just alternate strokes and she goes straight and fast. Best 20 bucks I ever spent...
Welcome to the world of reality. The guy who invented the double ended paddle deserves at least as much credit as the guy who invented a wheel and axle. Double enders do it all - and better.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Ozark, from what I've read, the fringe acted mostly as a wick to draw moisture out of the leather and then allow it to evaporate due to the fringe's increased surface area. The more fringe, the faster you dried out.

I think it's cool that so called " primitive savages " of the world learned how to solve everyday problems using the best method possible -- hundreds or thousands of years of hands-on experience. I've been interested in traditional archery most of my life. The simple longbow I shoot was perfected to the point that it could not be improved upon until fiberglass was invented in the 1940's. That's what 10,000 years of evolution will do.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I agree on the evaporating effect of loose fabric and I think the fringe of leather does the same. What length of fringe would be most affective 2in or less?

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
It's a guess, but I would think the longer the better. I read an article by a modern day mountain man and he made his own buckskins and he would leave some of the fringe as long as 6 or 7 inches. He said it worked better and he had a ready supply of material to make repairs on the clothes, build snares , tie shelter supports, etc.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Jack, I do know about the old boy. His people were bad a**. With fast horses and powerful long-range bows, they ruled the steppes of Asia for a long time. Your are right about the influence of those bows on Fred Bear. He almost single-handedly introduced the modern recurve to the world. Before Bear, there were very few people out there shooting recurve bows.

...........By the way, I can see how threads hear sometimes take a tangent or two and head off in other directions ----- double paddles to Genghis Khan. LOVE IT! :)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
jdupre' said:
...........By the way, I can see how threads hear sometimes take a tangent or two and head off in other directions ----- double paddles to Genghis Khan. LOVE IT! :)
Active minds spark off of each other like flint and steel. As in the real world, sparks fly in a wide arc, not linearly. Also like the real world, embers are generated in several pieces of tinder.

Ideation - Imagineering - Brain Storming - Solution Generating - Subject Development - BS'ing .... they all apply.

I'm serious about you contacting Al Dasen. Tell him of your interests and that I sent you. He's a straight shooter.