Anyone ever tried this? | SouthernPaddler.com

Anyone ever tried this?

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
I've been thinking about adding some rod holders to my pirogue and had a thought. Has anyone ever tried making a wooden t-track (or you could get aluminum) and put in the boat for mounting accessories? I thought it would be kind of neat because not only could you mount anything anywhere along the length of the boat you could also move it to a different position. I'm thinking about doing this in place of the inwales. The inside of the t-track would be sized to a certain sized nut. The screw or bolt may have to be cut to size based on what you were mounting but that's not too bad.

JEM

Interesting idea. Native Watercraft does something like that on there hulls. They call it "Plug-and-play".

http://www.nativewatercraft.com/features/plug_play.cfm

slots.jpg

A slotted gunwale config of sorts.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Matt,
Mount it on the inner rail. If I were to mount one on the hull I would use a doubler so the screws wouldn't penetrate the hull. Use the right sized track you can use brass commode bolts in them. The T track should take to a gentle curve without much trouble.
Bob

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
JEM said:
Wannabe said:
Greg,
Rodholders? That one T track idea holds a whole host if ideas. This should get interesting.
Bob

You mean like embedding the T track into the hull?

Not really. What I was thinking is it would be just like putting inwales but it would be either one of the following...
1. Purchased t-track (don't think this would look very nice)
2. I think you can get a router bit that cuts a t-track type cut
3. take 2 pieces of wood 3/4" x 1" and cut a rabbit along the length then mount the 2 pieces along the length of the inside of the boat in such a way that they would come together to form the t-track.

Bob, rod holders were my primary thought. I could keep 2 in there for me and if someone came fishing with me I could add more closer to where they would sit. I would probably mount a fish finder on there as well once I get one. You could use it to mount anything, any where along the length of the sides and have the ability to move those mounted objects.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
You don't need specialized knobs. You can make your own and that's fun too. It doesn't matter if you buy T track or make your own with wood. A little plywood, T nuts and commode bolts and you are in business. On 3/4 inch plywood use a compass to draw out the size knob you want. On the circle you drew make a smaller circle at 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, and 9:00. You will need to play with these little circles untill you get the spacing right. Use a drill bit the same size as the little circles and drill them out. Use a holesaw the same size as the big circle or use a bandsaw to cut out the big circle. Clamp a Jorgensen type 2 screw wood clamp on one side of the roughed out knob and round over the edges of both sides on a router table. The clamp is to hold on to so you dont round over your fingers. At some point during this drill an appropiate sized hole in the very center of the knob. Insert the T nut in the center hole and hammer it down until it seats against the knob. Use a hole saw to cut out a spacer. Put glue on the spacer and run a bolt through the spacer from the other end,then insert the bolt with spacer into the knob from the other side of the T nut and run the bolt through the T nut and run it up snug to act as a clamp and let the glue dry. Back the commode bolt out a little and insert into the T track.
DSCN1005.jpg

DSCN1006.jpg

DSCN1007.jpg

Clear as mud.
Bob

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
bluegrasslover said:
I wouldn't want to apply epoxy to the inside of the track. Is there an oil type finish that would protect the inside?

What I use on wheelbarrow handles, garden tool handles, and parts of a boat that I don't want to have epoxy on is either linseed oil and turpentine 50/50 (if I think I might want to glue or paint it someday), or linseed oil and turpentine, 50/50, with a brick or two of paraffin per total gallon if I don't think it will ever need glue.

You have to to heat up the turpentine and linseed oil to get the paraffin dissolved into it. You use a double boiler arrangement, (the paint can sitting in a larger pan of boiling water), outdoors, sober, with a fire extinguisher nearby and kids and dogs not nearby. Works pretty well for wood that will get wet.

It's just the wax that demands heat. If you skip the wax, then just put the linseed and turpentine into a paint can and stir. They mix right up.

Undoubtedly there are easier ways to go, but that's what I do.

George

A couple of notes;

-You can paint on top of linseed oil once it has cured. It does not stay oily. It does take a while to cure.

-If you want the wax, you find a grocery store with canning supplies, and you will see a 1 lb package of paraffin, usually "Gulfwax". It will have four 1/4lb slabs inside the box, those slabs were what I was calling a "brick".

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Greg,
I use them on table saw jigs. I needed two knobs for a jig I was making and instead of just cutting out two knobs I cut a bunch out in case I needed more in the future. Never connected T track to boats until you said something. :idea: :idea: :idea: Thanks for steping out side the box a little.
Bob

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
I did something similar on my removable portage yoke. Instead of using T-nuts, I epoxied in a regular nut and put it to the bottom where it doesn't show. I also didn't put in finger grooves, but the knob is large enough to get a good grip on as it is.
IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

Steve

Has anyone thought about setting the T-slots in the inwales, rather than in place of? That might be an option. . . and I think would look neater

I would think you'd have to make your dadoe for the T-slot, then installing the T-slot after the inwale in epoxied in place. . . You might have a helluva time getting the inwale in place, otherwise. . .

Dunno. . .but it's a thought. . .