Bald Cypress Fleet | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Bald Cypress Fleet

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
bcf

Just a note for those who may wonder why the un finished canoe is in the water.

At this point, I have all of about $40.00 invested. I thought it would be a good idea, before going any further to see just how it floated. If it wasn't right. It is easier to either correct the problem now, or make kindling wood and start fresh.

Since I can see it will be OK. I will add the glass and epoxy without a worry.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Baldy,

It seems ta have a heap of rocker. I reckon that iz what ya need in a narrow bayou? Do yer other homemade boats have that much?

regards
bearridge

It aint what ya dont know that hurts ya.  What really puts a hurtin' on ya iz what ya knows fer sho, that jest aint so. Uncle Remus

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
bcf

Friend Bear,

When I started, I intended to have about 1.75 in of rocker. Because of my most excellect construction skills, although I haven't measured it. I think from looking, there will be at most 2".

As it sits, it only weighs 30 lbs. So it don't have much to make it sink to it's normal depth. There is nothing but the hull there. Nothing but a soaker coat of epoxy and the one band of glass around the middle of the boat.

I just hope it isn't "to" squirely when I get it finished.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Old Nevada didn't need nothing 'cause his pirogue was rigged so it wouldn't rock and those three folks might as well been sitting at the kitchen table.

If you ever get this way, friend Keith and I can paddle you to where they made that movie

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Baldy,

I bloody LOVE that boat mate. all class. :D

John mate, that boat is way too pretty to be paddling in the polution and goodness knows what else floating in Moreton Bay. 'Twould be much better suited on sweet water like Lake Lenthall's or my beautiful Burrum. :twisted: :p

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
bcf

I can't tell y'all how many boat building sites I have looked at. What I can tell ya, not that you will pay attention, is that there are lots of different ways people make boats.

One of the things I have seen is, those who advocate a strile shop prior to doing epoxy or varnish work. There are folks who , in my opinion, go to extreams and are parinoid about a bit of dust getting on the boat.

NOW, if you are building a boat to sell for $4000 + perhaps I can accept that. But, in my little world, I build them for me and for use. They are going to get scratched, dinged and gouged. There will be dirt, limbs, garbage, fish scales and about anything else you can name in and on them.

I therefore don't worry a lot about dust and bugs. Basides, what self respecting boat dosen't have a gnat or two entombed in the epoxy.

That being said, I got the outside glass on with the first coat of epoxy.

e7a9273e.jpg

e7a926f6.jpg

e7a9272b.jpg

e7a92110.jpg

As any fool can plainly see, I have trouble with the stem areas. I do my best to get the glass cut and placed nice nad smooth. But, in the end, I always have to sand a bit and put another piece over the stems. I do that anyway just for the protection. I run a piece from the top of the stem down and under the boat for about two feet. That is the part that normally takes the worst beating and a bit of extra protection there is always welcome.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Re: bcf

a Bald Cypress said:
I can't tell y'all how many boat building sites I have looked at. What I can tell ya, not that you will pay attention, is that there are lots of different ways people make boats.

One of the things I have seen is, those who advocate a strile shop prior to doing epoxy or varnish work. There are folks who , in my opinion, go to extreams and are parinoid about a bit of dust getting on the boat.

I therefore don't worry a lot about dust and bugs. Basides, what self respecting boat dosen't have a gnat or two entombed in the epoxy.

If you don't have some form of a bug ( or parts of it ) entombed in some part of the boat you made it is not a hand made custom craft by the paddler for the paddler. :D
That is part of the character of the boats we make. I have found that a drop or two of some blood from a punctured , cut , injured , sliced or sanded finger also helps to make it yours.
Fortunately the blue words uttered by the boat maker don't show up in the final product. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Re: bcf

a Bald Cypress said:
Basides, what self respecting boat dosen't have a gnat or two entombed in the epoxy.

I always leave a little bit of my DNA entombed in my boats. Always seems like I am scraping my knuckles up or getting cut while I am working on them. So, just make sure I leave a little smudge of my blood on it in a place that will get coated with epoxy.

The boat is a beaut.

DM

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Nice looking boat Baldy. Going OK there.

One of my boats has a few (well OK, many) pine needles in where a small section of Epoxy hadn't fully cured out when we left for the trip. I think the needles are from Killarney Provincial Park.

I wasn't about to miss the trip for a sticky bit of glue.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Baldy Mate,

That is one lovely boat!,

You have inspired me to get my little Puddle Duck stripper down from is rack in the stink boat shed where I have hidden her for the past 7 -1/2 years, and finisher. bring her to liFe :D .

There are a couple of S&G canoe builds I want to do first then she will come out of hiding. By then, I hope to have the skills and confidence to take the time necessary to lavish all the attention to detail such a boat deserves.

Like you, I use and abuse the heck out of all of my boats, Difference is, I build mine quick and pretty rough. but I just don't think I could bring myself to do that with something as beautiful as yours.