BCF

Well the final installment...............................[maby]

The fleet assembled

FLeet-5.jpg

FLeet-3.jpg

FLeet-2.jpg

FLeet-1.jpg

FLeet-6.jpg

I did notice that there is not a flat bottomed boat there. Now I have heard, unverified of course, that there is a man who sells plans for just such a boat. Maby I can do an extensive search and with luck find this elusive person. So there is the possibility that the fleet is not actually complete. Time will tell.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I don't want to be a wet blanket ........ but if you could make the pictures a little smaller then the folks on dial up ( Myself at times , when I'm not on the fast track) would be able to enjoy them. Then we have the ones overseas and all they can get is the dial up and smaller screens.

This way everyone or all of us can enjoy your marvelous work.

Just a suggestion , nothing more. :D

OK... I heard that .... Yep I have good hearing and agree with you 100% but I'm no computer whiz and don't know how to shrink the pictures , I have tried that in the past and they went someplace else so I leave them alone. I would rather have them then to lose them threw my computer stupidity or lack of know how.

I would rather put the know how to building boats , this web site and the posting of things or how they are posted are up to the members , not me. When things get a little off kilter then I make a suggestion about it , nothing more.

Just remember the dial up ( copper wire) folks on here and think of there enjoyment.

DON'T try to correct them , leave them as they are , just think about it for any future posting , your choice since it is your post. ..Now I might have to increase your membership fees , "O"oop's nothing is increased to double nothing . OK , a personal check would be acceptable ,just send it to Kayak Jack's camping funds for the snorers harmonious fund . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.
( I don't snore)

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Your fleet is grand, I'm just a little bit curious to your mini pier or dock or that place you step as not to get your feet wet.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya baldy,

Beautiful boats mate.

I really like the lines of the little solo canoe. Could you please provide som information on it?

Oh yeah, I just love the old red pickup too. Man, that is MY type of car!!! :D

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
B C F

O K the mast construction has been started.

Here you can see the before and after strip. Left side is freshly cut from the board and right side has been tapered for the lower 10 inches to make a 1 1/2 inch dia. end, then a 6 inch section of 2 " dia. then a taper to the tp which is 1 1/2 ".

mast-1-1.jpg

Another view

mast-2-1.jpg

mast-3-1.jpg

Dry fit to see how it will come out.

mast-4.jpg

mast-5.jpg

It will have to be wraped real tight after the epoxy has ben put on. I think I will have to find some old tube to cut strips from to wrap it tight enough.

Then a LOT of sanding. [ what do we do on boats that dosen't require SANDING.?]

All cuts were made on the table saw. The notch with the blade at 45 deg. The angles I just marked and free handed. The thickest portion to be removed was 1/4 inch so I had no problem forcing the wood a bit if itstrayed off the line.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
bcf

As usual with me a lot of time has past. I have been piddlin around a bit tho.

I have just about got the sail rig complete. a couple of minor fixes and it will be ready to get me wet, as soon as the water warms up.

Set the rig up dry to see how it would fit.

The leeboard set in the approximate position.

sail-1.jpg

A view of the boom and gaff jaw

sail-2.jpg

An overall view. Gaff at the top of the mast.

sail-3.jpg

Looks as if it will work. Still need to add some shims under the crossmembers since the inner gunnel tilts downward a bit. Don't want to put to much pressure on them.

Add another pulley on the boom for the sheet and a thingy to tie off the haylard which will go on the leeboard thwart.

I have a seat made and will put permenant runners foward of the rear seat. That will give me a movable and re- movable seat to help with control and will get My fat butt down to about three inches from the hull for a bit more stability.

I made the seat so it will just set over the wicker seats. Tha way if I want to have a backrest I can just set in on the wicker seat.

The sail will be 44 sq ft . I built the rig to the ACA specs. I intend to buy a poly tarp and some 2 sided carpet tape and make about a 1/2 size sail to start off with. That SHOULD be enough to get me going and gain some VALUABLE experience without scareing the you know what out of me.

The total amount of sailing I have done was about 15, count em,15 min. in some type of skiff over 30 years ago. It will be "new and exciting"

So sayeth the wet fool hanging on to the flooded canoe. :lol:

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
bcf

Once more, way to much time has passed without me doing a whole lot on my boat.

I have however removed my large rear-end from the chair long enough to do a bit of work on an outrigger .

Hopefully, it will be enough to give me a bit of stability when needed. Thus preventing an excess of swimming.

The outrigger it'self is 3' long X 5"[high] X 41/2"wide

amma-04-1.jpg

ama-1.jpg

And I am going to attach [removable of course] , it to the canoe with an 8' pole. hollow like the mast and boom but, this will be a faux birdsmouth

ama-3.jpg

it is made up of 8 sections glued together but, just angle cut on each side rather than the " birdsmouth style.

The "arm" is 1 1/8 " diameter and will be 8' long. About a foot and a half will slide into a fiberglass tunnel I will put on the leeboard thwart.

I will have a "key"slot that should keep the arm fron sliding out. [I hope]

I am going to "try" to split it on the end so it will be attached to the outrigger fore and aft, rather than just one attachment point in the center.
If it works , then I'll post a pic. If it don't, I'll just say I changed my mind.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
BCF

Well;, I think I am about done , except for the seat which I made wrong and trashed. I am now re-making one that will work,

[If ya give me 8 or 10 trys, I can usually get something made that will work 50% of the time]

Here we see the outrigger in place

SailRIg-2.jpg

And the leeboard

SailRIg-4.jpg

Don't laugh at my sail, I made it out of two small polytarps I had.

SailRIg-5.jpg

Now to wait for warm water to test it .

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Baldy,

Ya need a Jolly Roger, a parrot 'n a patch. piper kin loan ya a patch 'er ya kin make yer own. Good lookin' wood work.

respectfully
bearridge

He spoke with the wisdom that can only come from experience, like a guy who went blind because he looked at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it and now goes around the country speaking at high schools about the dangers of looking at a solar eclipse, without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it. Unknown high school student

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Sweet Baldy! Wow...I'd love to do something like that....on my list when I give up w-o-r-k. :cry:

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Boat 4

I think this will do it for a while.

A short story: I started to build a Sas 14-30 from JEM. For some reason, I could not get the pannels to come out right [I haven't given up on that yet] SO.

In desperation and needing a boat fix I decided to make it as a stripper.

boat4-2.jpg

boat4-4.jpg

I don't think it is as nice as [you know whos] but it works for me.

I had a bit of trouble with my other solo being too easy to turn. On this boat, I left the hull nearly flat. THe bow and stern set in the water real nice and it tracks like it was on rails.

It also paddles and moves nicely. One stroke and can glide for 50 yards [with a slight tail wind] It takes very little correction.

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
Baldy, that is a gorgeous little craft. I am afraid if I had built anyting that pretty, I would never let it get near the water. I would have to frame it and hang it on the bedroom ceiling.
If I EVER get through with this house remodeling, I would like to build a stripper canoe.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Darn Baldy .... It looks like you have a winner , with some luck I might be able to make one as nice if Matt would let me. :p

"O" Well till then I would suggest you let Matt have the use of the pictures of your canoe to use on his web site. I'm sure Matt would love to have a report about how she paddles and handles on the water since someone else has been slow , really slow..... to do that. :oops:
Who knows , someone else out there in cyberland might want a canoe as nice as yours. :D

Just look out for a ton of questions about it and how you built it , I can see you being overwhelmed with them.

She is a HONEY ... :D

boat4-2.jpg

Next weekend I will be off to never never land (some place up nawth , my GPS knows where ) to paddle and camp for a spell with a bunch of really nice guy's :roll: and then return home ( Hopefully in one piece ) and file a paddling report on the Sasquatch 14 x 30.
OK.. They say they are really nice guys but some of them are quite furry and like to bite folks when you get to close to there boats or try to grab there chow. Ya guessed it .. Oldyaker will be there. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good weather , time to get out and have some fun while I can , as they use to say , Grab the Gusto when you can. :D ( you have to be really over the hill to remember that one )
Chuck....