Baroon Pocket, Kondalilla Falls & Tree Tops | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Baroon Pocket, Kondalilla Falls & Tree Tops

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
There are motorcycle riders, and others who ride motorcycles. They're not the same group. Riding a road bike, where the geography is already prepared and manicured for you, is something a grandmother can do, and some do. Put your bike in the dirt, where the level of thinking required goes up an order of magnitude, and it's a different story. Riding any line up a hill is a different problem set than riding the same track down. Move a foot to the side and it's another set of problems. Figuring exactly when to add - or take off - power when going over roots and rocks is a thorny process. The thought process is faster and deeper than riding steady state, straight and level I've done both.

I've ridden English bikes that picked up the front wheel in only the first three gears. Fourth gear only topped out the front shocks. I've ridden Swedish bikes that jumped like a mountain goat. I've ridden Japanese bikes and regularly did uphill jumps with my daughter on the pillion.

Learned that many car drivers not only don't see motorcycles, they don't give a damn. Some actively go an search and destroy missions. So, I gravitated more and more to not riding the road, and to riding the dirt. Only a few times did I ever experience a tree or a boulder actually trying to attack me. I finally learned to dodge them, unless the sneaky ones came out to play. They'd get me sometimes even then.

I helped a lot of young riders learn how to ride safely, master their bikes, and to help others. I helped form a motorcycle club, and shepherded it into the AMA. Now, I no longer feel an interest to ride bikes. Now, I fly.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Chuck, you're right about thinking you;ve mastered the bike.......

had a little hondacycle many years ago and i realized that if i duct taped the throttle, i could ride with no hands - kind of like cruise control

then i realized i could stand up on the pegs

then i realized i could stand on the seat

then i realized i could probably kill myself very easily

i got rid of it before i could do any serious damage

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
George,

"Tree Changers" are people who move from the cities to our small, inland, country towns or communities to get away from the concrete jungle. They change from concrete to trees. :D

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
hairymick said:
...to Mapleton where we stopped at a lil cafe' for my obligatory hamburger :D ...
854e9169.jpg
Aussie newspapers decry sudden beef shortage. "WHERE'S THE BEEF??!! School children starve, while someone cruel, is eating more than their fair share of tucker."

LOL! :lol: If no one else was going to say it I was!

wheresthebeef.png

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Bear, the bun was about 8 inches across and the "pattie" was made from real Aussie, Brahman beef. Think triple quarter pounder on steroids :p Not the flavoured sawdust so popular in the fast food chains :D The last time I was in one of those places, I bought a so called quarter pounder, paid over 7 bucks for the thing with a coffee. It was about 4 inches across, had some sort of obscure meat like thing on it with a slice of processed cheese and a pickle with some sort of sauce. It tasted like crap and had I been able to eat it, I would have needed about 4 of them to make a feed. Then we come to the sump oil they try to sell as coffee. :roll:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

I reckon if it filled that bun, it would be danged heavy ta lift? [chuckle] Fast food iz jest that........fast. I dont drink coffee at the fast food joints, but McDonalds finally come up with some good stuff.....but ya caint buy it at all locations. That dont make no sense ta me, but the one in Murphy, Northern Carolina dont carry the good java.....jest that horrible stuff they called coffee fer years. They run a taste test on the new coffee 'n it beat out Starbucks. I dont know jest what that means cuz I never tried any Starbucks coffee.

One winter the only burgers we ate wuz venison....no fat added. Six months later I bit inta a fat burger. It tasted so bad I near bout threw it in the garbage can. After that I didnt eat any burgers fer a while. Yer burger haz got me droolin'......agin.

regards
bearridge

Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything.  Charles Kuralt

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
hairymick said:
...had some sort of obscure meat like thing on it with a slice of processed cheese and a pickle with some sort of sauce. It tasted like crap...Then we come to the sump oil they try to sell as coffee. :roll:

LMAO - :lol: - I've eaten more of those than I care to admit. Get in a hurry, it's quick and easy. Pretty dubious form of food though. :?

Curiously, McDonald's usually has decent coffee here in the States. At least if it was made recently. Gotta watch them on that part.

GBinGA