Bayou Ham with Red Beans and Rice | SouthernPaddler.com

Bayou Ham with Red Beans and Rice

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Working on the patio and had this on the stove simmering. Had some leftover ham to deal with and this turned out goooood! Easy to make as well! :wink:

Ingredients

1 cup UNCLE BENS® ORIGINAL CONVERTED® Brand Rice
1 lb ham cut into 1-1/2" x 1/2" strips
1 medium onion chopped
1 can red beans or kidney beans
1 clove garlic minced
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. pepper

1. Brown ham in oil in 10-inch skillet; remove and reserve.
2. Sauta onion and garlic in ham drippings (add additional oil, if necessary) until tender, but not brown, about 5 minutes; reserve.
3. Drain beans, reserving juice. Add enough water to bean juice to make 2 3/4 cups.
4. Add bean liquid, beans, rice, chili powder, salt and pepper to skillet. Bring a boil; reduce heat. Cover tightly and simmer 20 minutes.
5. Remove from heat; stir in reserved ham and onion mixture. Let stand covered 5 minutes

*Make this dish using Cajun spiced shrimp or chicken instead of ham, or try a combination of the three.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker said:
Working on the patio and had this on the stove simmering. Had some leftover ham to deal with and this turned out goooood! Easy to make as well! :wink:

*Make this dish using Cajun spiced shrimp or chicken instead of ham, or try a combination of the three.

WOW !!!!! , All three , lets eat. :D

Chuck.

dawallace45

Bloody hell you fellers are cruel , I'm on a diet where my doctor wants me to loose 2 KG a week and for me that means I have to stick to about 1000 or just over calories a bloody day and you fellers keep printing things like this , don't worry , I'll get even yet .LOL

David

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend David,

What calories? I reckon the ham mite have a few, but jest use ham without much fat. Hard ta find decent vittles with less.

regards
bearridge

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living. Gus McCrae

dawallace45

Bear

The joint pain has been getting worse lately and the doctor did a pile of tests and reckons that the problem is excessive wear and tear , too many broken bones , damaged and worn joints , damaged tendons and ligaments over the years , being a bad asthmatic with a ulcer makes taking most pain killing medication problematic , doc reckons that one of the best things I can do for the pain is get some weight off , and he wants me to do it fast , two weeks ago I was 232 lb , I'm now down to 224 lb , doc wants me to get down to 200 lb before I go up to 2000 calories a day , it's been hard , also I just got over a stomach flu just in time to catch a ordinary flu , and laying around sick is a time I generally feel like nibbling , when I see the recipes I just feel like eating , but you are right , I checked up and a 1 lb serving of red beans and rice is about 500 calories so I could probably have one serving of a night

David

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Heck David, I lost 15 pounds quicker'n a politician kin tell a lie. I weighed in at 247 at the doctor's office. Had my boots on, pocket change, small knife 'n some keys. Next time I got naked (at home), I weighed in at 230. I kin eat all the beans 'n rice I want....but not with cole slaw. Miz Bear sez she heard enuff of that. :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

Politics is the business of getting power and privilege without possessing merit. A politician is anyone who asks individuals to surrender part of their liberty - their power and privilege - to State, Masses, Mankind, Planet Earth, or whatever. This state, those masses, that mankind, and the planet will then be run by ... politicians. P. J. O'Rourke

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
BEARS BUDDY said:
Heck, Bear, you need the slaw to get that turbo boost out of the chair when you try to stand up! :lol: :shock:

Yankees... They always get things backwards ....
It's the Baked Beans that does that , they are normally referred to as after burners (later that night ) especially if you have them with some hard cooked eggs , a sprinkle of hot sauce on them and a beer or two at a picnic. :lol:

Chuck

dawallace45

With me it's onion , bloody awful , dead set it would gag a bloody maggot , feel like I'm jet propelled

My wife is all for the idea of me loosing weight , she reckons that my joints go snap crackle pop when I walk down the hall way

Bear
yeah I wear that much crap too but the doc is a wake up to that , he weighed me and said that we will allow 2 KG for clothing , wallet , and assorted pocket knifes

Wife has me on one of those packet diet milk shakes for breakfast , another one or a diet packet soup for lunch and a smallish normal meal at night , added all together with 2 x cups of coffee and 2 x cups of tea a day and that comes in around 1000 calories , shit I hate diets !!!!

David