BBQ Shrimp... | SouthernPaddler.com

BBQ Shrimp...

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I like to make these when I get home from one of my many trips to Savannah over the past twenty five years. I pick up a mess of shrimp near the Thunderbolt bridge where the shrimp boats come in everyday just before I start home.
I'll freeze some shrimp and make BBQ shrimp Christmas Eve if the wind ain't howling and the snow ain't burying my grill. This recipe is for a half pound, around here I need to make at least 2 pounds.

BBQ'd Shrimp
*Pinch or two of salt
*3 tablespoon lemon juice
*1/2 cup ketchup
*1/4 cup water
*1 teaspoon hot mustard
*1 tablespoon brown sugar
*3 tablespoon minced onion
*1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
*1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
*Couple of shots of hot sauce don't hurt either if you imbibe that way...
*1/2 pound shrimp that is peeled and deveined

With exception of the shrimp, mix all the ingredients and bring to boil. After the ingredients start to boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Pour mixture over shrimp and place in refridgerator for about 4 hours or so....
Thread shrimp on skewer and grill for about 10 minutes or so until done. It's acceptable for the chef to sample a few to check doneness. Turn often and baste. Try not to overcook!.
Cold brewski even makes them taste better.....
fest24.gif

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Yakus Droolicus,

Sounds good. I'll get some shrimp at Sam's. Closest shrimp dock to my house here in mid-Michigan.

When you say "hot mustard" - what do you mean? Dry mustard? A prepared mustard that's hotter than French's yellow goo?

During inclement weather, would a big cast iron griddle on the gas range be OK?

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Yep Spicus Jackus, a hot prepared mustard. Spicy brown would work, but a hot mustard is better.
I guess your grill ain't buried in snow either!
I would bet a hot cast iron grill would work. Never tried it, but I don't see why not.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Oldyaker, Sounds great but ya are going to way too much trouble mate. :D

Melt some butter in a frypan, add some fresh chopped up garlic and just toss the prawns err shrimp straight into that. shells,heads & all.

cook and stir gently till the shell is just starting to lift from the meat in the backs of the prawns err shrimp then get stuck into em. Cold Beer is also a very good thing to have with this. :D

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
hairymick said:
Melt some butter in a frypan, add some fresh chopped up garlic and just toss the prawns err shrimp straight into that. shells,heads & all.
Cold Beer is also a very good thing to have with this. :D

Mick...Mick.....Mick.......What about shrimp on the barbie? Isn't that an Aussie tradition? I know cold beer is........one Aussie tradition I really enjoy! :wink:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Talked w/ Jimmy on the phone yesterday. (He was surprised - still thought two tin cans and a string were the best there was!) I'm having his BBQ'd shrimp on Christmas day, along with some other goodies. Thought about having some bourbon balls too - but couldn't get my neighbor, Mr. Bourbon, to stand still long enough for the job.

Having - for the first time - some dim sum on Christmas Eve as my birthday brunch. A roving Chinese buffet delivered to your table is the only description I have of it now.

Jimmy also sent me his business card. I didn't know he tamed dragons and calmed dinosaurs!

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Jack,

Don't believe the ads mate. :lol: Most Aussies eat their prawns boiled. I actually prefer them that way.

Boiled till the shell starts to lift, (about 10 mins) then quickly cooled in an ice brine and then placed on crushed ice with lots of salt. I'm good for about a kilo and a half at a sitting with about five or six cold pints. :D

We catch a type of prawn here we call a banana brawn. They average around 6 inches long and are really sweet. We get them in our local rivers with cast nets with the main run starting at around mid -January. Pretty easy to get a 20 litre (5 gallon?) bucket of them in a couple of hours. :D

If I get a chance to get into them this season, will post some piccies. :D

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
hairymick said:
If I get a chance to get into them this season, will post some piccies. :D

Piccies? Friggn'n Piccies! :x C'mon Mick! I bet if you put 5 gallon of those banana prawns on dry ice, they would make it here just fine! You know piccies never do anything justice. While your at it......how about a case of Aussie brew...... :mrgreen:

Send them to my address.......I'll be sure to invite Chuck, Jack and a few others over to enjoy. :roll:

Sounds like a good time Mick....Yes please, post the piccies! :wink:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
OK, Jimmie, I did a 2 pound batch of these, and fried them on skewers in the cast iron pan. Only problem I saw was that Katie ate a half pound of them herself.

I made a similar mistake about 8 months ago when I introduced her to jerky. She goes through that like the proverbial crap through a tin goose.

Maybe I oughta introduce her to gritz. Cheap & easy to feed her. Other options would be kitty litter or shredded dry wall.

"Yeah! Yeah! That's the ticket!" (Attendant at Institute for The Very Very Nervous)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Dave,

These were already cooked & ready to eat; netted'em at Sam's frozen food counter. In fact, I snitched a half dozen before they went into soak in Jimmie's marinade. I fried them a bit to heat them up.

When I was growing up here in the Great Lakes area, shrimp hadn't been invented yet. They came along later in the evolutionary chain of events, about the time of appearance of Edsel cars, and the disappearance of De Soto's.

A great car left, and a crap car came - and went. I never did figure that one out.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend David,

I dont know what we woulda done without Cajuns. Justin Wilson wuz one of the best. Barbecue shrimp are good eatin'. You can fix it with any barbecue sauce, but oldyaker come up with a better-than-store-bought sauce. When ya aim ta "kick it up a notch" I always suggest McCormick's Zatarains.....(ta Cajun cookin' what cumin iz ta Mexican cookin'). I started anuther thread ta find out what folks frum other lands cooked round Christmas time, but geezers dont read carefully.....even the ones frum downunderneath. If ya never barbecued no shrimp/prawns give oldyaker's recipe a try....'er jest take the lazy road 'n use bottled barbecue sauce.

I went over ta my brother's last nite fer vittles. One of hiz daughters iz sweet on a nice fella whose iz part owner of a local high dollar cafe. He smoked a prime rib 'n a pork tenderloin. I ate the best salsa I ever ate.....no kiddin'. It come frum a lady who iz tryin' ta git a company ta bottle 'n ship her stuff cuz she caint keep up with demand. There wuz a heap a good stuff ta dip crackers 'n chips inta. Too much. One wuz all the Mexican dips combined on one platter......avocado, salsa, cheese, etc. One had butter 'n artichoke hearts...plus more stuff.

The best part of Christmas Eve wuz when we slipped out behind the house 'n lit a bonfire in the ammonia tank my brother cut off 'n welded some legs on. I dont care who ya are, what ya eat 'er where ya live, a nice fire feeds yer soul.

best regards
bearridge

Gladstone: You, sir, will either hang from a gibbet or die of a loathsome disease!
Disraeli: That depends, sir, upon whether I embrace your principles or your mistress.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
bearridge said:
...I don't care who ya are, what ya eat 'er where ya live, a nice fire feeds yer soul....
Food and a fire. Both rest the soul. So do waves rolling in, a good liquor, a puppy dog or a child asleep in your arms, and the love of a good woman.

Probably, in that sequence.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend David,

I see ya did answer my question....on the rite thread.

respectfully
bearridge

Can an atheist get insurance against acts of God? unknown