Clicky

Bear Kodiak

coogzilla

May 3, 2008
So Cal USA
Got a string from 3riv's for the kodiak. Put a knock on and shot
a bh into 3/4" ash.

3/4" ash is pretty stought stuff.

Another veiw. 3/4's wussie draw. Full draw would most likely blow thru.
(but not inside house!)

The crack is just a scratch. The investment paid off. :D :D :D

coogzilla

May 3, 2008
So Cal USA
It's marked #48, but I think it's wrong. I draws more like
a #60 I got than a #50. If I had a scale I would ck just for fun.

Coogs

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have three that today might be called collectors items since I have had them from a lot younger years when I hunted with them. All full re-curves and at 55 pounds with a 28 inch draw. They are still in good shape along with a bunch of the pressed 11/32 Port Oxford Cedar arrows for them.

A hunter by Shakespeare bows. One from Herters ( I bet not many of you remember them) and a Ben Pearson hunter.

Did pretty good with then back then got , Squirrels , Quail , Armadillos , Bob Cats , Turkeys , Pigs and deer along with a lot of targets.

Even permission to hunt some areas where no one could go.

Was talking with a land owner (Rancher) about bow hunting he thought it was a joke. One thing lead to another and he was drinking a beer , he looked at me and said ... If I put this can of beer out there and you hit it you can hunt my property. I suggested a full (unopened can) he went with the idea and put it about 60 feet out from us.

Luck was with me that day.... I hit the dam thing dead center with a 11/32 second shaft with a blunt on the end of it (38 special brass over the end of the arrow) The can exploded and I got to hunt his property. :lol:

He also got some free meals , over the years , from some of the critters I nailed on his property. Sharing make for good relations. :D

Chuck.

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
oldsparkey said:
..... One from Herters ( I bet not many of you remember them)....
Boy do I 'member them! I spent countless hours as a boy dreaming of all the hunting and fishing I'd be doing with all the cool stuff I'd get from Herters. I got a new catalog every year until I went off to college and somehow lost track of them. I found a 1969 catalog on ebay and bought it about a year ago. Wow, what memories it brings back! Take a look at this link - Catalog - you might find a year you want.

Mike

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Boy some of those names bring back memories. Herters was a good outfit
and if you were in archery back then bet you remember Doug Kittrys Bow hut, I have a bunch of them bows ,several Bears, a shakespeare, ben pearson, Howard hill Long bow red wing hunter recurve, a couple indians
a couple Yorks, and even a Black Widow, and they all shot pretty good.
Bears were set at 28 inch draw and stack pretty fast, so if you have a draw longer than 28 inches the bow could be pulling sixty. I have a 31 inch draw and my bear kodiak is pulling about seventy lbs at my draw length . it is marked 50 at 28 inches.
Boy them were good days in archery.
Ron
Ps the reason I learned to build strings and work on bows was in those days there were no bowshops in everytown so you had to order everything. Back then a flipper rest and a berger button were high tec

coogzilla

May 3, 2008
So Cal USA
Tx river you are makin sense to me now. This one is 5' long and it I
swear it feels like 70# drawn back. It's quite a witch to draw.
Never had one like this before. Gonna take getting used to I guess.
Kinda hard to hold it. Keith

islandpiper

oldsparkey said:
One from Herters ( I bet not many of you remember them)
Chuck.
Oh, heck, Chuck , I still have the 1963 and 1965 catalogs......the big fat ones. I try not to look in them very often as it just ties my stomach up in a knot, knowing how prices have changed. But, there's a lot of stuff in them, that's for sure.

piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Closes thing we have to Herters today is Cabelas and they actually advertise some stuff with the Herters label on them.
If you look really close to some of there store props they are the same ones that Herters had when they were around. :D

Chuck.

coogzilla

May 3, 2008
So Cal USA
The one in the pichurs is a "Super Kodiak" the same one Fred Bear
used in his adventures. Then he went to a takedown version.
It was easier to carry on a Connie as it broke down in 3 sections.
It fit in a small box to carry. Fred liked that. As a plus you could
change the limbs/draw on the bow pretty easy too.