coogzilla

May 3, 2008
So Cal USA
Got a string from 3riv's for the kodiak. Put a knock on and shot
a bh into 3/4" ash.
Kodiak001.jpg

3/4" ash is pretty stought stuff.
Kodiak003.jpg

Another veiw. 3/4's wussie draw. Full draw would most likely blow thru.
(but not inside house!)
Kodiak002.jpg

The crack is just a scratch. The investment paid off. :D :D :D

coogzilla

May 3, 2008
So Cal USA
It's marked #48, but I think it's wrong. I draws more like
a #60 I got than a #50. If I had a scale I would ck just for fun.

Coogs

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have three that today might be called collectors items since I have had them from a lot younger years when I hunted with them. All full re-curves and at 55 pounds with a 28 inch draw. They are still in good shape along with a bunch of the pressed 11/32 Port Oxford Cedar arrows for them.

A hunter by Shakespeare bows. One from Herters ( I bet not many of you remember them) and a Ben Pearson hunter.

Did pretty good with then back then got , Squirrels , Quail , Armadillos , Bob Cats , Turkeys , Pigs and deer along with a lot of targets.

Even permission to hunt some areas where no one could go.

Was talking with a land owner (Rancher) about bow hunting he thought it was a joke. One thing lead to another and he was drinking a beer , he looked at me and said ... If I put this can of beer out there and you hit it you can hunt my property. I suggested a full (unopened can) he went with the idea and put it about 60 feet out from us.

Luck was with me that day.... I hit the dam thing dead center with a 11/32 second shaft with a blunt on the end of it (38 special brass over the end of the arrow) The can exploded and I got to hunt his property. :lol:

He also got some free meals , over the years , from some of the critters I nailed on his property. Sharing make for good relations. :D

Chuck.

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
oldsparkey said:
..... One from Herters ( I bet not many of you remember them)....
Boy do I 'member them! I spent countless hours as a boy dreaming of all the hunting and fishing I'd be doing with all the cool stuff I'd get from Herters. I got a new catalog every year until I went off to college and somehow lost track of them. I found a 1969 catalog on ebay and bought it about a year ago. Wow, what memories it brings back! Take a look at this link - Catalog - you might find a year you want.

Mike

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Boy some of those names bring back memories. Herters was a good outfit
and if you were in archery back then bet you remember Doug Kittrys Bow hut, I have a bunch of them bows ,several Bears, a shakespeare, ben pearson, Howard hill Long bow red wing hunter recurve, a couple indians
a couple Yorks, and even a Black Widow, and they all shot pretty good.
Bears were set at 28 inch draw and stack pretty fast, so if you have a draw longer than 28 inches the bow could be pulling sixty. I have a 31 inch draw and my bear kodiak is pulling about seventy lbs at my draw length . it is marked 50 at 28 inches.
Boy them were good days in archery.
Ron
Ps the reason I learned to build strings and work on bows was in those days there were no bowshops in everytown so you had to order everything. Back then a flipper rest and a berger button were high tec

coogzilla

May 3, 2008
So Cal USA
Tx river you are makin sense to me now. This one is 5' long and it I
swear it feels like 70# drawn back. It's quite a witch to draw.
Never had one like this before. Gonna take getting used to I guess.
Kinda hard to hold it. Keith

islandpiper

oldsparkey said:
One from Herters ( I bet not many of you remember them)
Chuck.

Oh, heck, Chuck , I still have the 1963 and 1965 catalogs......the big fat ones. I try not to look in them very often as it just ties my stomach up in a knot, knowing how prices have changed. But, there's a lot of stuff in them, that's for sure.

piper

coogzilla

May 3, 2008
So Cal USA
The one in the pichurs is a "Super Kodiak" the same one Fred Bear
used in his adventures. Then he went to a takedown version.
It was easier to carry on a Connie as it broke down in 3 sections.
It fit in a small box to carry. Fred liked that. As a plus you could
change the limbs/draw on the bow pretty easy too.