Benjamin air rifle head shots but the neighbors did a better | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Benjamin air rifle head shots but the neighbors did a better

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Talking about camper educated coons........ I was reading a trip report on a different web site and the folks were at the Collier Seminole State Park down by Marco , Fl.

Here is what they had to say...........
My wife and i camp at the Florida state parks once a month, we decided to camp out at this one this past weekend and boy do we regret it. Not only were we the only ones there, but it was infested with mosquitoes, biting flies, and a handful of other flying bugs. The raccoons were aggressive. We set up 2 tents, one to sleep and one with supplies. BIG MISTAKE!! THEY CAN OPEN YOUR TENTS!!! The little buggers walk right up to you, they tried opening our tent while we were in it, you could see their little paws trying to grip the zipper (ITS CRAZY)!!!! Then we had a campfire going, with food on a skillet and there was 9 raccoons surround us in attack mode. We ended up having to pack all of our things and hit the road. We wouldn't camp here ever again! We recommend Highlands Hammock, Hills-borough, Rainbow, and Blue Springs to name a few. Good Luck!

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************
Campsites 1 to 19 are the best but there are bug's there. It's a good campground to spend a night at and then put a boat in and go down the Blackwater River past Mud Bay to Grocery Place and camp or on out to one of the out islands for camping.

A little history about this area.....................
http://coastalbreezenews.com/2010/09/23 ... -goodland/

islandpiper

Chuck wrote: We had a husband and wife living in there house surrounded by a orange grove which was back off the beaten path. It seamed that someone liked to peep in the wife's bedroom window and her husband called us to report it.

There was a fellow like that up near Negaunee, Michigan. They finally caught him, a middle age Finnlander named Ole B. Peekininn .

piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Felt like I was camping last night. The weather is a little better ( 50's at night ) so I had the bedroom window partially open. Around 3:30 A.M. I really felt like I was camping , two coons got into a discussion in the woods behind the house. That is something I expect to hear off and on during the night when camping in the woods down here , not here at the house.

Turned over and laying there something said to look out the window a little after 4 A.M. There is was , going over the yard , sniffing here and there then he would dig down a little and get a grub for a snack.

I guess that discussion in the woods a Little earlier was about who has the right to jump the chain link fence and come into the yard to check for snacks. Pretty soon he might be after the navel oranges when the sweeten up just a little more. "O" Well there are a lot of them and after the two hard freezes he is welcome to them. He can have the lower ones , I will turn the higher ones into fresh orange juice. Since he is getting rid of the bugs in the yard he deserves the desert of fresh orange's.

The more of those bugs he gets the less for the armadillo and the possibility of me having to get up and go out to dispatch a armadillo in the early morning hours. Who knows he might be after that Texas Turtle , don't think so but I can hope so.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Sounds like a time for raccoon soup!

Heck No....

I enjoy knowing he is around here and that there are more then just him in this area.
It's nice to see some critters in this mess of so called humanity and civilization referred to as a community. Besides he is doing me a favor and exterminating the grubs in the yard that will never hatch out. The way I see it he is beneficial and not hurting anything. :D

Chuck.........

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
You are then, the only human I've ever met who could find anything good about a raccoon.

He is not bothering me like the ones that invade a campsite so why should I bother him. He is just doing his Coon thing and having a meal while helping me , Live and let live.

Besides it takes me back to the stories my Uncle would tell about when he and dad were growing up in Wisconsin. He and Dad had some unusual pets , one had a Coon and the other had a Skunk.

I will not bore you with the details of those two pets and no they were not domesticated ones but gotten when they were very young from the wild. By the way the skunk was not descended but had the complete weapon system much to the coons dislike with rough housing with it after it thought that was enough. :roll:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Well I helped the neighborhood cats out today , I guess they were sleeping or Cat Napping someplace.

Another Tree Rat decided to build a nest up in the rafters .... It does not have that worry anymore , I arraigned an permanent nest for it with that Benjamin rifle. One three shovel depths down. :D

The wife was fussing at me when I got back from my trip about it up there building a nest , Not Anymore. As I told the wife tonight... some more want to try that .... I have 500 pellets in that one box and a lot more in the others. Or to put it in simple words ... A Hunting I will go. :wink:

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
I had one for a pet when I was in high school. Got it when it wasn't much bigger than a mouse and fed it with a toy baby bottle. Darn thing was a heck of a lot of fun! If you didn't turn the outside faucets (hose bibs) off real tight, the coon would turn the water on and play with it. The neighbors got pissed when they left the door open one time and it helped itself to their supper. My folks made me give it away shortly after I left home for college.

Mike