Benjamin air rifle head shots but the neighbors did a better | SouthernPaddler.com

Benjamin air rifle head shots but the neighbors did a better

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Been having a long running problem with some tree rats nesting in the rafters over the front porch area of the place.

Being the nice guy I am I have used Moth Balls ( The ones you put in clothing ) and all the wife could do was to complain about the smell of them.

Then tried the Cayenne Pepper in some oil brushed on where they came into the area on the one beam , that just made them change there egress and exit....... Next was a commercial tree rat deterrent......That was perfume to them. The House hold ammonia on cotton balls did work for a few minutes but that was all.

Finally it was the Benjamin ( Pump up ) and head shots on the suspect individuals as they came along the top of the fence or threw the back yard....... More replaced them. :roll: Worked good in the back yard but with the neighbors around it was a sticky thing to try to do in the front yard. I could just visualize it , The Sheriffs Office gets a call that some old fool is prowling around this place carrying a weird looking rifle with a large telescopic scope on it. Last dam thing I need is for the SWAT Team to show up and all I have is a 177 air rifle that looks like it has a regular rifle barrel over a shotgun barrel. :lol:

All Right there has to be a way to get rid of them for good......... "O" finally some salvation is here the paper has an article in it about Peppermint oil on cotton balls to chase them away....... RIGHT..... I think they used them for desert. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then a few mornings ago the wife was opening the blinds up on the windows and don't you know it there is a Cat half way up one of the screens on the window after them....... She shagged the Cat away and advised me that something has to be done.

Being the quick thinking person that I am , choke , gasp , sniffle , gag ......I figured I would outsource the job to the cats in the neighborhood. A little bit of some sardine oil in the immediate area just created more interest for the cats to be there. ( Just a finger tip of it , not a lot )
Don't you know it I have the Tabby Cat along with Garfield , Old Bob tail and the black cat on tree rat watch and patrol.

Well Sir , this morning the tabby cat had some fun with the tree rats for about 3 hours harassing them and almost had a couple of them for a meal...... Then Garfield showed up and between the two of them they made the tree rat family decide there has to be a better area to homestead. Not sure but I believe both Cats had a tree rat snack since I did not watch them all the time.

The Benjamin air rifle and head shots did good in the back yard but the four footed neighbors did a better job , especially in the front yard. :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The tree rats are gone ... YEA.... but there is a critter invasion going on around here.

Last couple of days when I would get up and look out the bedroom window and it looked like someone was digging post holes in the back yard. Thinking it was an Texas Turtle ( Armadillo ) I filled the holes in but they just did not look right. They were a perfect up and down hole not one of the sideways ones those Texas Turtles make. :?

One more day went by and the same thing happen in the back yard. OK. This has to stop. Put a 22 pistol by the bed figuring on dispatching a Texas Turtle sometime during the night.

Last night or should I say early this morning , 4:30 A.M. I woke up and looked out the window ( Nice weather so the windows are open) and there is a shadow out there moving around in the yard. Dang that is to big to be a Texas Turtle , it is way to big. :shock:
Let's throw a little light on this matter. Reached over and got the flashlight , shinned it out in the yard at the shadow and a pair of eyes are looking at me with a burglars mask around them.

Holy Chit , look at the size of that critter , one of the largest Boar Coons I have ever seen , just staring at me. Turned the flashlight off and watched him for a while. He would mosey around the yard sniffing the ground and when the smell was right he would dig down with his paws and get a grub for a snack. That explains why the holes were a perfect up and down and cylindrical shape.

Guess I should not complain about the coon. Last night the neighbors a street over had a knock at the door and two gunmen entered the house when the homeowner opened the door to see who it was. They forced the homeowner into the living room and then searched the house for prescription drugs and goodies.
Fortunately no one was hurt and later one of the home invaders did get caught by the Sheriffs Office , one is still on the loose.

Guess I will keep looking ( peeking ) out the window before I answer the door while making sure my pistol is close by and not the 22 something bigger.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
I'd recommend two things.
#1 Don't sleep with windows open if known gunmen are roaming the neighborhood.
#2 Ship those holes to Piper San; he can use them.
#2.1 Get recipes for roast coon

I counted three things. :lol:

Dang , if I don't have the windows open then there would not be any of that nice fresh , night , air getting into the bedroom. Summer is the time for closed windows.
I checked the expiration date on the holes and they would spoil before Piper could get them , since they are still fresh I think I will hang onto them.
Coon Burgers aren't half bad but that old boar is way to big and would be way to tough to even grind up into coon burgers. The grinder I have is an old timer and made out of some good metal but I would not trust him to run threw it without breaking something. :wink: He would require way to much Beef Suet to make him into good burgers .... so the best thing is to stick with the beef ones , preferably the 7% fat ones. Besides he has been around for a long time so why not let him enjoy retirement. After all you could call this place a retirement home , everything around here is OLD , even the house. :lol:

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Kayak Jack said:
I'd recommend two things.
#1 Don't sleep with windows open if known gunmen are roaming the neighborhood.
#2 Ship those holes to Piper San; he can use them.
#2.1 Get recipes for roast coon

I remember hearing or reading (might even of been on here) that there are 3 kinds of people in the world.
1. Those who can count.
2. Those who can't count.
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
'Twasn't three items; was only 2.1. Those higher mathematics cornfused some. sigh

And, I now have a source for adjustable fence post holes. They have a range from 4"-8" diameter, and a depth variance of 2' - 4'. These are useful for either steel or cedar posts. (I've seen fence posts made of granite, but these holes do only fair when used with granite posts.)

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
You probably drew in the 'coon with the same sardine oil that drew in the cats.

At my previous house, before I got married, I had about ten cats living in the back yard. They'd come out of the woods and I started putting out cat food because I kind of liked having them around.

The house was in a new subdivision, out in the country, and backed up to woods. The whole time I lived there, I never had squirrels, and never saw the first snake of any sort anywhere on the property. I'm convinced that the cats kept them away.

Coons and possums were a different story. They started coming out of the woods to get the cat food at night. There would be ten cats out on the porch, and all of the sudden a coon would come waddling up out of the yard and the cats would all step off to the edges of the porch and just sit there and watch him eat. Even the big tough tom cats didn't mess with coons, or possums either.

So I figure what a fellow needs is a dog mean enough to eat raccoons, but good natured enough not to eat the neighborhood cats. That's a tough balance to strike.

George

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
To get away from the post holes for a minute.....

I can have the windows open around here without any worries for one simple reason....... Actually a couple of them.

I don't have a lot of money here , in fact very little so that stops any worry of a home invasion. Hell there is not that much in the bank registered to this address. Plus this is not a drug house and has never been one selling illegal drugs to the freaks that use them.

Taking both facts into consideration...... No drug money along with no drugs there is no reason anyone would want to break into this place , plus the fact that if you do you will be shot. Then any questions would be asked but there is a 100% possibility they would not be able to answer them.

The places around here that have home invasions are the places that sell drugs ( Or use to and have that reputation ) along with having a lot of cash on hand. Or they just have a lot of valuables and cash on hand or can get it. Something that is not a worry that I have , not even in my wildest dreams. :lol:

When with the Sheriff's Department before retiring ... all the places out here that were broken into were places raising pot and selling drugs , even one of the neighbors which I put out of business. All it took was for me to nab some folks breaking into it to be able to do an inventory on what was taken and then a security check on the inside of the place to make sure everything was OK. An indoor garden in one room and they were not Tomatoes. :lol:

I welcome that old coon , he is like me , something from the past that is still here living in this mess they call civilization and making a go of it. It's the two legged critters that have taken over ( Invaded ) and I could do without.......... That finger print of the sardine oil was out front to keep the cats interested and to get them in the right spot , no idea if the coon made it out there , he was having to much fun in the back yard. No I do not plan on feeding him , he is to well fed already , probably from all the folks around here with outside feeders for there cats.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I've seen dogs be friendly with cats, but I've never seen a dog best a coon in a fight. I have seen dogs all torn to hell from fighting with a coon. I'd vote for a live trap and a .22. Selective shooting can sort out critters you want to keep around (kitty cats) from those you don't (coons, squirrels, opossums, democrats, etc.)

dawallace45

The places around here that have home invasions are the places that sell drugs ( Or use to and have that reputation ) along with having a lot of cash on hand. Or they just have a lot of valuables and cash on hand or can get it. Something that is not a worry that I have , not even in my wildest dreams

Chuck

Would you agree that the average cop was smarter than the average criminal if so then you definitely have to worry , I know of three cases over the years where the cops have got the wrong address when looking for some one and have come in with guns drawn and every one was pushed to the floor and the house ransacked by the drug squad looking for dope , I've heard of a lot more but in these particular cases I knew the people involved , In one case I knew two of the participating officers as well , one of them was telling me later the detectives from the drug squad organised the raid and asked for some of the local officers for back up , they smashed the door in and when the owner who was a mate of mine jumped up from the dining table to see what was happening he got butt stroked by a detective with a shotgun , the cops shoved him and his wife and his wifes father and mother down on the floor and had two officers guard them while the rest ransacked the house , as I said two of the uniformed officers recognized the mate and told the officer in charge of the operation that these weren't the people they were looking for and that they could vouch for the mate , they were told " F%#$'em , keep looking , every ones guilty of some thing " , just a side note in that case they confiscated the mates guns and all his ammo and took it away to check the ballistics , they also charged him with being in possession of burglary and safe breaking equipment and confiscated his tools , he was a self employed boilermaker , and because of it his business folded , he was eventually able to get his guns back but his ammunition all disappeared and so did most of his tools , his only crime was buying a house that had been rented previously to a suspected drug dealer , that guy had moved out two months previously and the mate and his wife bought it and had just moved in the previous week and were having dinner with her parents to celebrate

So if the police can get a address wrong so can the crims , happens all the time here in Australia

On the wrong identity thing , one place I lived I had the cops pull up in force 7 times in total in 14 years , they were looking for a Person named Shirley Wallace , now my drive way was 130 metres long so by the time they arrived I was out sitting on a chair on the veranda , after the first few times it got annoying , now my wifes name is Shirley and so is my mothers , neither one was any where near the age or description of the person they wanted , never did find out what they wanted this person for but I always wondered why they would send 3 cars and 6 police for her , in every case it was detectives from Brisbane and some back up from the local police, last several times it happened two of the back up were mates of mine , I said to one this is getting old , why didn't you tell them it was wrong from the start , he laughed and told me that they didn't even get the cutesy of a address from the detectives just got told to follow them , I once asked the mate how these stuff up were reported in the daily reports , he decided to check and told me that for some reason it now appeared that him and his off sider weren't with two detectives and two other uniformed officers at my place at the time , they were in fact patrolling up around the D'aguilar highway
After the second time it happened I got my wife to go across the street from the bank where she worked and show her identity to the police officer at the desk and tell him what was going on , didn't help of course as the cops from Brisbane didn't tell the locals what was happening just that they wanted uniforms for back up

This was of course before the big royal commission and shake up of the Police

David

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I guess that we can be just as injured - or dead - from a simple mistake as from serious intent, ehh? I keep my windows closed, locked, and the alarm system activated. But, then, having been in combat zones does that kind of thing to some people.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
I guess that we can be just as injured - or dead - from a simple mistake as from serious intent, ehh? I keep my windows closed, locked, and the alarm system activated. But, then, having been in combat zones does that kind of thing to some people.

A person should try to not live in the past since it is the past and move on to the future since that is where the hope and life is. I spent my tour in the service ( Marines & Navy ) and that is ancient history , times gone forever , never to return. Then spent 27 years at war here in the states with the Sheriff's Office , that is also ancient history and water over the dam.

If I had something from my past that would be worrying me so bad as to lock myself up every night then life would be wasted. I will go with the open windows ( Not in the Summer ...to dam hot) no security system except for myself and YES , Locked doors since the Wife insists on them , for the little they are worth. ( A lock and the rest only keeps the honest person out )

You have to move forward looking forward one day at a time or always remain a slave to the past and looking over your shoulder.

Chuck......

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
We'll open a second story window at night at the right time of year, but doors stay locked, and the locks are well installed.

Chuck is probably right about the people getting invaded being logical targets, it makes sense and I'm sure he knows more about it than the average person considering his career.

But the criminals are a darn sight dumber than the police, and here in the USA we do occasionally hear about the police kicking the wrong door. Wrong address on the warrant, warrant for no good reason, or just simply screwed up and went to the wrong house. Police are just human, after all. We had a case in Atlanta where they kicked the door of an elderly woman in a wheelchair, on a warrant that was based on bogus intelligence and never should have been issued at all. It was a "no knock" warrant - they just kicked the door and came in with no warning.

The old lady did the logical thing under the circumstances. Picked up a .38 revolver and popped off a couple of rounds. Hit the bastards, too. At that point they shot her repeatedly, and she died.

There are several Atlanta policemen in jail for that deal. When the warrant was investigated it turned out that it was based on what amounted to a bucket of hogwash.

Point being - if the police can make mistakes like that, who knows what sort of dingbat decisions some doped up gang banger might come to.

Over the years I have had several patio door repair jobs where a burglar would come up on the back porch, pick up a heavy object like a potted plant or a propane bottle, and hurl it through the patio door glass. Dash inside and take stuff like purses, wallets, etc, and leave. Didn't care if anyone was home or not, and fortunately didn't bother the folks sleeping upstairs.

I consider house dogs to be the ultimate security system for when I am home asleep. If they hear something interesting going on in the middle of the night, they are awake and making racket RIGHT NOW - which is more than I can say for myself.

George

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
A dog is one of the best alarm systems you can have , they keep on working when the power fails. They are also a real good deterrent for anyone prowling around.

We had a husband and wife living in there house surrounded by a orange grove which was back off the beaten path. It seamed that someone liked to peep in the wife's bedroom window and her husband called us to report it.
We patrolled the area but never caught the guy. Can't get real sneaky when there is only one road in and the same one out.

Well the husband got fed up with this joker and told us he was going to fill the guy's backside with bird shot. I mentioned that it was not the best thing to do and there has to be something better. He got a smile on his face and said he knows what to do and for us not to patrol there till he calls us.

As the husband explain things later .... He brought 4 of his catch dogs in the house with him and his wife. ( Catch dogs are pit bulls used to catch wild hogs , they love to bite and hold on when told to Catch .)

Seamed like the prowler showed up later that night. The husband eased over to the front door , quietly opened it and then told his dogs to ....CATCH.
Off go the dogs and the prowler. After a short chase and a little while later the dogs returned with some shreds of slacks and a few pieces of a shirt but no prowler.
Checking the grove and following foot prints the prowler did get away ( No Body in the sand ) and for some reason he never reported getting dog bit or returning to peep and prowl around there again.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
catfish said:
chuck your mask friend in your back yard must thought he was on a camping safari in the okee with you. :lol:

He is about like Coonzillla that was at Cravens Hammock when we camped there in the swamp. He was a camper educated coon and could find the food all the time , ours not his. :lol: Till we put all of it in the outhouse at the end of the dock plus he did not know how to open the door to it.
Judging from the log book at the hammock , with everyone doing that to save there food he might of figured out how to open that door by now.

This one is not civilized or he would of found my pack ( food box) of camping food that I keep on the back porch so it is ready to go on a minutes notice. Plus if I am out there with a beer and don't want to get up and walk a few steps into the kitchen I can just reach over , open the pack ( food box ) and have a snack. :D