Best wood for a Stripper? | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Best wood for a Stripper?

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Sheena's Dad,

Do what you can for your kids, no one ever died wishing they had spent more time at the office.

Here's a couple more pics of a cypress deck

ec2605f1.jpg

ec260594.jpg

Sorry for the glare but you get the idea of what it looks like. Islandpiper over in Ponchatoula may know what the lumber mill there has available. Don't know where in Texas youcan find it. But you are correct, you don't want the reclaimed material that has nail holes. Also avoid the newer growth (growback) cypress as it doesn't have the insect and water resistant properties of the old stuff. Old growth cypress will have 30 or more growth rings per inch

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Seedtick, my friend!

I agree with Jack. Would love to check the feel out. That sure does look good.

I think I'll show Sheena your pictures and the ones I saw on here of Sparkey's redwood pirouge. Maybe I can get her down to one wood instead of three. I doubt it but it's worth a try.

Still, if she wants a three wood then I guess I'll just have to go with it.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Looks like Sheena is just after a boat that is unique. I can't fault her for that as I like to make every boat unique. Doen't matter whether it's the wood or the style, just something that makes folks want to get up close and touch it. Production aluminum and fiberglass are for folks that want a boat that looks like someone else's.

You're only about 4 hours from Ponchatoula ( a bit closer than that to me). If you end up headed this way, give a call and I'll show you the boats we're playing with.

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Seedtick,

Appreciate the invite. Just may take you up on that.

Been thinking it's about time to visit that cousin of mine in Ponch, anyway... (she'd shoot me and leave me tied to concrete if she finds out it's just an excuse for a wood buying expedition.... :wink: )

I do love the look of that cypress, though. Yeah, buddy, I do.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
heya Seedtic,

Have you considered a cedar hull with contrasting gunwales, decks & seats.
Will give you the 3 woods and also consistant bend properties in the main hull strips

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Yer idea sounds to me to be the answer, Mick, but it's gonna have to be my daughter's call.

Seedtick is right. She wants something unique. She's always been one to try to set herself apart in ev'rything while doin' her dangdest to downplay it. Won't lie to ya, sometimes she scares the living you-know-what's outa me sometimes...... :roll:

Obie

Mar 15, 2006
Wisconsin
i'd agree w/ Mick, as that's what i have done thus far.....and would recommend staying as simple as possible. the weight differences are sizable once you start using a lot of hardwoods.. and when working w/ different wood types when sanding, planing---they all have different characteristics, ie. redwood---breaks or splinters easier than cedar, but it looks great when contrasted against cedar... ash bends well but is a hardwood and takes more to sand/plane work and is much heavier than cedar(wood type may make the difference between a boat of 30# and one of 60#). you will want to be a perfectionist if matching up different kinds of wood next to each other and then there is the use of thickened epoxy for patching holes---it will need to be a different shade/color for each type of wood....white cedar or basswood is pretty but it will show any glue left behind so it takes a lot of sanding.......if you want to have complicated patterns, it will take more time.... but when you are done, it's your art project, so make what you(or she) wants to see.
maybe get small sample pieces of different kinds of wood and see how they look, and how they will look w/ epoxy on them. this has helped me in planning what to use. it's amazing how many shades and colors come in one type of wood.
just some thoughts..
remember to have fun !

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
This is a picture of my friends Great Auk that he is building. All the wood shown is cedar except the very light strips between the two dark ones. Those are pine. We picked up some VERY nice cedar 2x4's from a local place and ripped them into strips. The color of the cedar varies from the dark chocolate brown to pink to creamy white.
We made the effort to keep all the strips from a board together. His half of the wood is slowly becoming a boat. My half are still in my garage waiting on me.
DSCN1399.0.jpg

DM

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Well, I figure I oughta have an answer from her this weekend when she comes in from school. She wants to go pick out her wood. I do about have her convinced cedar would be the way to go, though. Especially when I pointed out she's just 5'6" weighing in at 90 lbs :)shock: prob'ly shouldn't've said that.....oh, well.... :wink: ) and explaining the wieght thing to her. I'll just have to wait and see.

By the way.... thanks, Sparky... for the e-mail replay...really do appreciate it.

Oh... I was going through some of the older questions on here and saw one that interested me about using polyuretane glues.... Have a friend who used it on a small planked sailing boat he built. Worked great...but it stained his plywood pretty bad... if anyone you guys know ever opts to use it on a boat in the future, tell them it will hold up but it's got a 4 to 1 expansion ration and to be sure it pentrates INTO the wood by sanding any surface areas being glued It won't penetrate like it should on smooth routed surfaces so sanding is a must.... Just thought I might pass that along. I use it on my furniture projects, but I doubt I would personally try it on a boat.

Any way just thought I'd mention it while I was here.... sorry about the
lengthy gab, fellas.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Actually, Dad, these are the kind of knowledgeable comments that are profitable to many of us. (Not me, cause I'm too lazy to work.)

Members bring in fields of knowledge and experience and sharing that stuff helps make us all smarter.

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Just read Jack's last post on this thread...... :oops:

Think I better do somethin' 'bout me name..... I mean, Lawdy Laws Laws,

!!Now, I even got Jack callin' me "Dad"!!! :oops: :shock: :oops:

I know I got eleven grandkids....but, Land Sakes, that mean I gotta claim Jack? Cain't afford the back child support on that, now!!!!

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Aye, aye, Skipper....

Would dat be chocklet er hops?

Hey, guys, in all seriousness, though, my little Miss 20 on a scale of 1 to 10 said to send thanks for advise on woods. Got her to agree on a mix of white and red cedar (luckily, I already have some) with a hi-lite strip of ash bordered with some of my walnut...

Looks like da mizzus is gonna have to wait on that hutch she's been after me about..... (hey, a guy's gotta have his priorites in the right order!). Think I'll save doin' that for a time when I really get into trouble... like goin' off to 'noe somewhere off faraway, like th' NW passage or someplace like that.... w/o her along of course........

Oh, anyone out there use anything other than staples to hold thing together in building strippers? Would like to go with as few holes in the 'noe as possible, y'know, for looks sake.... Any recommendations?

Well gotta go get started rippin' strips... later....

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I, for one, am glad our Princess chose cedar as the primary material. Makes it a lot easier for the builders, and easier for the carriers once it's built. The highlights of ash and walnut meet my fancy too.

White ash and black walnut are two of my favorite woods. Toss in shag bark hickory and red oak, and the grouping would be complete for me. I like hard woods.

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Jack,

Me, too... on the cedar... though, th' mizzus is awful upset about th' walnut... nice thing, though, is that recliner sure is comfy for sleepin'.

By th' Sheena saw that "our Princess" ... Called to tell me about it... her roomate says she ain't quit smilin' for 2 days now... Told her she should register on here... got told one ol' geezer in her life were enuf but she did love the heck outa that "our princess"...

I just got one question.... that mean you gonna cover some of these college bills? :!: :p :?:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
sheena's dad said:
Jack,
By th' Sheena saw that "our Princess" ... Called to tell me about it... her roomate says she ain't quit smilin' for 2 days now... Told her she should register on here... got told one ol' geezer in her life were enuf but she did love the heck outa that "our princess"...

Tell her ...... Age does not matter .... we have a Geezer on here who is only 14...... It is best to start at an early age then you have it made later in life. Besides we ..... NEVER ..... EVER...... Have any fun on here. :roll:

As one of the old songs said........ Let Your hair hang down and just walk right in.
1153.gif

Chuck.
Ps.. We don't charge that much for someone to be on here .... The fee is free fun , the friendship , priceless , and the fun flows freely.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
As one of the old songs said........ Let Your hair hang down
O Master of Flowbizness,

hair?
1074.gif

curiously
bearridge

The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here! This is the kind of spontaneous publicity I need! My name in print! That really makes me somebody! Things are going to start happening now. Navin Johnson