Big Hoodoochie comin | SouthernPaddler.com

Big Hoodoochie comin

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

Wish us luck, battening down the hatches.

43507bd2.gif

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/768 ... or-cyclone.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Mick,
Looking at the little map, they travel south and turn opposite of ours. Its hard to think upside down. Do you get these often and what kind (speed) of winds do you expect. Will it go far enough south to help the folks that need the rain? Will you leave or stay? Ignorant minds want to know. You and Miz Robin stay safe.
Bob

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Bob,

We are in the yellow patch near Hervey Bay.

Cyclones used to be a fact of life here but we haven't had a bad one come this far south in decades.

Our weather bureau rates it as a category 4/5 which has it about as bad as it can be but so far are only guessing at the wind speeds. The latest i heard was supposed to be in excess of 280 kiolmetres per hour. I think that equates to something like 170mph.

The storm is travelling parralel to the coast at about 8mph at the moment, but it could go anywhere. We are all praying it goes out to sea. I heard on the news tonight that 10,000 people have been evacuated from low lying areas in Hervey bay but I suspect that is just media beat up. Hell, that would be about 1/3 the population of Hervey Bay. I was down there today and saw no sign of anybody being evacuated.

There is a bit of wind about at the moment and heavy cloud cover but no rain as yet. There is a sort of pregnant feel in the atmosphere as if something big is about to happen but all is quiet for now.

Oh yeah, all the birds took off and left today so that is a pretty good sign something big is coming.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Ya'll didnt name the senior center after the High Sheriff, did ya? That iz sho ta bring a backwards cyclone!

Keep yer heads down 'n give a holler soon az ya kin after it haz picked its path 'n gone.

Fire, rain, storms....next time I reckon it will be grasshoppers 'er wild billy goats.

regards
bearridge

The Second Amendment does not give anyone any rights. It jest warns the guviment not ta mess with one particular natural right that folks have always had......before anybody ever come up with a constitution.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Dang Mick,
That's not a hurricane, or a himacane, that is a full blown Hucerlacane. Now isn't Alice Springs about in the middle of Aussieland. That's where ya need to be heading. Does that 170mph come with tornadoes too. Come to think of it some tornadoes don't even blow that hard. Where do ya hide from that kind of wind? Ya'll do what ever it is that you do down there to stay safe.Steady 105 mph winds was bad enough. Just cannot imagine 170 mph.
Stay safe
Bob

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick .. That is some great camping weather ... just depends on where you are camping .. like a long distance from it. Play it safe and stay protected.
As the tell us over here ... Hunker Down and batten down the hatches. Over here anything over 155 mph is a category 5 and they don't get any higher then that. Andrew ( Miami/Homestead , Florida ) and Katrina ( New Orleans , Louisiana ) were cat 5 storms.

It doesn't look good if I am reading the map correctly , it looks like it will come along the shore line and then take a turn inland towards Sandy Cape and Hervey Bay. Anyway that is the direction the little arrows are pointing.

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

Still hunkering down. :D

Cyckone is still hading pretty much parralel with our coast but about far enough out not to bwe doing an damage as yet.

Wind speed here is only about 30 to 40 knots as yet with some pretty heavy showers but that is about the extent of it so far. Real happy with that. :D

The boffins now predict that it will weaken as it moves south. It has allready been reduced to category 4 so all the signs are promising. :D

Robin and i went into town this morning to stock up on a few supplies, and it seemed every body in the area had the same idea.

On another note, I bought a Cobb cooker yesterday and am still trying to learn how to use it. It might come in handy if the power goes out. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :p

Thanks for thinking of us guys. All is good here at the moment :D

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Ron,

Thanks mate. Been doing what all good aussies do in times like these. havin a few drinks and a bit of a cook up mate.

I think I'm gonna love this Cobb thingmany. Doing a small roast lamb & garlick, marinated in port wine, and of course, sampling the chateaux cardboard as I go :lol: . Too wet and miserable to do anything outside so I set it up in the laundry to the chagrin of Mz Robin.

The fact that I MIGHT be a little unsteady on my feet and talking Martian at the moment has nothing to do with it of course. :p

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
I like a man that can think properly in the face of disaster, Mick!
If only you had a parachute. You could pull the rip cord in a clearing, hand your glass of chateau du cardboard to Miz Robin, and utter the final words of many a Southern boy, "Watch this!"

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Jimmy! :D

All's good here :D crissed as a picket :lol: and it looks like the storm may pass well out to sea.

Had my little cook - up, still on the plonk, err- wine and miz Robin has gone to bed in disgust. 8)

I think I saw a post here someplace about Cobb Cookers but can't find it now. These are great little cookers! though a lil slow. One tends to get too drunk while waiting for things to cook.

All stainless steel and pack unto a neat little bag,

d1d61297.jpg

and only requires a few heat beads.

50b4a705.jpg

Chuck the meat & veg on top

a155985a.jpg

Put the lid on like a small Webber and come back in a couple of hours (if ya remember :oops: )

8504d014.jpg

I got a real good looking stainless frying pan/BBQ plate to go with it and if I am not too sick in the morning gonna christen her with some bacon, eggs and hash browns. Bloody Americans, before I came here, I didn't even know what hash browns were, now it feels like only half a meal without them.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
hairymick said:
if I am not too sick in the morning gonna christen her with some bacon, eggs and hash browns.
uh....Mick. It iz mornin'. Reckon ya better git a nap 'n git outta Miz Robin's way. She haz a heap a cleanin' up ta do already. [wince]

regards
bearridge

ps Glad that hoodoochie didnt blow ya'll ta Kansas. Dang near everbody hates it when that happens. [chuckle]

Woodrow Call: How do I know you won't start missin' your wife after about five miles and decide to quit?
Po Campo: My wife is in hell; where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
OK,

04.15 here now. Wind and rain woke me from my stupor.

This is the latest image put out by our weather mob, but I think Hamish might be a little closer than this.

f3d36cbb.gif

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml

My guess is that the gusts might be reaching 60 knots here so still not too bad and no damage that I can see.

Bloody Irishman running round inside my head with a 4 pound hammer trying to get out. Must a been something I ate. :D

Will update soon.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
" Bloody Irishman running round inside my head with a 4 pound hammer trying to get out. Must a been something I ate "

Well don't eat Irish food or it might of been to much chow off the Cobb Cooker , or a combination of the two and a cool beverage while that Cobb was cooking the Cobb's. Besides it never pays to say .... " Chuck the meat & veg on top "... Those Chucks will get you.

It is ... Put or place the meat & veg on the top.... :lol: :lol: :lol: "O" Well take two aspirin and don't call me in the morning. :wink:

Play it safe till the storm passes and is a good distance from you , those things are like women ... they never know where they are going or what they will do.

Chuck... ( as in a Chuck Roast ) :mrgreen:

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
It looks like you might have skated by, this go around ,Mick! Only the good die young! :D
It could be that the storm saw you really didn't give a $h!t if it came to see you or not, and it was spooked off.
If I were a storm bent on eating someone up, and that someone was roasting lamb, sucking down plonk, and probably singing "Colonial Boy", I would think twice about it! (Just what does he know, that I don't?)
About that Irishman, three ounces of "Old Bushmills" won't get rid of him, but he will drop the hammer, have a seat, and start singing "Colonial Boy".
ten hours sleep, a gallon of water drunk, an a few aspro ingested will put him to sleep. :D

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Lol, LOL,

feeling much beter now. :D The wind has died a little and had me feed of bacon and eggs :D I bloody LOVE this Cobb thingamy. The smell drove Mz Robin MAD while she was getting ready for work. I get me little licks in where I can :lol: Was tempted to have another plonk - just for appeareance sake - of course :p but then thought better of it. Sometimes I can be a chicken-shit coward. LOL but very wise considering the looks she was giving me as she headed out the door into thew wind and rain.

Been trolling a local fishing forum and there are some interesting posts coming. I post some of them here just for interest sake.

Might need to batten down the hatches!
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml

Number 19 issued at 5:14 am EST Sunday 8 March 2009

Predicted to be Category 4 with winds of 160-200 kph as it hits us in Hervey Bay.

If you haven't already done it, it's time to stock up on basic provisions, clean the yard of anything that can become a missile around the yard......(help out your older neighbours that can't do it)

Here's the latest image of the track.

Sea temps in hervey bay are currently exactly the same as they are off Bowen, so it's not likely to drop much lower than a cat 4 cyclone (about the same as cyclone winifred if anyone else remembers it) It blew my boat off it's trailer and severly damaged about 3/4 of the houses in the area between Babinda - Cardwell.

Oh bugger looks like it may give us a floggin

Been downgraded to a Cat 4 again.

Yep, winds are "down" to 260 Kilometres per hour

Re: Cyclone Warning
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 08:01:22 PM » Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fellow fishos in the bay. I'm in the Army in Brisane and we have been warned out for evacuation and sandbagging duty in the Fraser Coast area. The warning should be taken seriously and I have been informed that all residents in low lying areas from Dundowran to River Heads may be evacuated, Just thought I'd give everyone the heads up. We are prepping now for a disaster force much like the one in Victoria. The Premier has officially asked for our assistance. Being from the Bay myself I am hoping it doesn't hit however if it does I can assure you help will be at hand. I hope I don't have to see you in an official sense in the next few days but rather on the water some other time.

Clanga, there's some cold VB's in the fridge out the back of my place.....help yourselves

We won't be here to watch the water rising if it looks imminent.

Thanks Al..Everything is ok here at the moment as we come up to high tide..We will pin the piles if necessaryif it looks like there is any surge increase to stop the pontoons hopping off..Just had gusts in excess of 40 knts I'd say and outside the harbour it would be 2 mtres..Crashing over the rock walls at the moment..No danger at all..Just a little rocky..I feel for those guys on the trawler M.B.C that are missing..That boat is from here..Marty, the owner, and the crews families must be frantic at the moment..

EPIRB has been located and a raft and provisions dropped to the position pinppointed this morning according to the news George. Not an enviable position. Can only hope for their safe return

The entire thread can be viewed here.

http://www.fishntales.com/forum/index.php?topic=7046.0

dawallace45

Well so far the cyclone has been a bit of a fizzer here , didn't think we would get much of it here just rain but we haven't even gotten that , just overcast and breezy , wouldn't even say windy , spent most of Sunday cleaning up around the place and putting every thing away , can't work in the shed at the moment and I don't want to start bringing gear out until I'm sure it's gone completely so the Laker in on hold till then , was actually looking forward to a bit more rain but none so far , well not enough to fill a teaspoon any way , from the looks of it the cyclone has passed us by

David