Biscuits and Gravy | SouthernPaddler.com

Biscuits and Gravy

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Cracker Barrel restaurants has the best I've had. Mine are wimpy, but OK.

Gravy = Tone's powdered gravy mix plus water (beer if available). Bisquick biscuits (made with beer if available)

Mine don't hold a candle to Cracker Barrel's.

coogzilla

May 3, 2008
So Cal USA
No such luck here in Kali. No one here even knows what biscuits
and gravy is. I tried makin my own, but it was a disaster.

Coogs

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I located this on page two of this section.........

http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3954

You might want to take a look at all the pages. I'm sure the Cajun post on here has them , it has 1,600 different recipes.

http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=954

Chuck.
PS. If you can't locate a good gravy receipt .. gravy is nothing more then the fat left over from cooking with a mix added to it.
The mix.......
Either water or milk ( I Like the milk) some flour mixed in with it , salt and pepper , to taste and then mixed in with the hot fat.
Add more water or milk as you stir it or more flour if it is to thin.. Best to be short on the flour till you get the hang of the proportions , wish I could say this much of this and that much of that but all mine is made by eye and none of it is measured.... Except for the milk , one cup with a couple teaspoons of flour ( the amount of flour is determined by the amount of juice in the pan from the meat) , blended really well , if not then the flour will make the lumps in the gravy.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Instant Gravy....... Those Dang Yankees eat that stuff. :roll:

Lets see .. Instant gravy .... Three parts sawdust , one part epoxy and salt & pepper to taste but eat really quick before it sets up. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just joking..... There is one I like and use it out camping and for the life of me I can't remember the manufacture of it. So off to the grocery in the morning to get one and let you know about it. Easy to make 2 cups of water , bring to a boil and add the mix from the package. Stir till thick and enjoy.

It's a sausage gravy combo and is rather good plus it is cholesterol free , soy products and you would never know it. Anyway the guys out camping never did till now if they read this. :lol:

How about some Red Eye Gravy Guys........ Dang That is some sort of goooood and even Jack could make it. :D

1. All you need is some country ham and a cup of coffee
2. Cook Thick cut country ham approximately 10-12 minutes per side on medium heat.
3. turn your slices and continue turning until all the slices are brown. Remove country ham to platter.
4. Turn heat up a bit and add to the drippings 1/4 cup of perked coffee per slice of ham and let simmer a couple of minutes.
5. Red Eye Gravy at its best!
6. To be served over hot grits, eggs, biscuits, or the ham slices.

Chuck

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
B &G

I am always amused by the folks who really enjoy bisquits and gravy but, declare that the S O S they had to eat in the military was made by the devil.

I for one always liked S O S , used to put a couple of overeasy eggs on top.

Still like bisquets and gravy. Being lazy, I use the [grands homestyle bisquets] 18 min in the toaster oven. Make the instant gravy, Pioneer Brand W/ sausage.
I just use 1/2 of the package over two bisquits. Works out about right. I will also add some extra sausage if I happen to have any around.

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
Re: B &G

a Bald Cypress said:
....Still like bisquets and gravy. Being lazy, I use the [grands homestyle bisquets] 18 min in the toaster oven....
Yep, being lazy, I use 'em too. And I do love biscuit & gravy. YUM!

Mike

[added on edit] I think I'll have some for supper! [/edit]

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
When I make biscuits, I like to add stuff to them For a sausage & gravy session, I'd add some minced garlic and rubbed sage. For chicken & biscuits, I add minced onion & garlic, and poultry seasoning (which has a lot of sage in it).

Sometimes, I add cayenne just for the heck of it.

I also like biscuits made of cornmeal (no white flour), baking powder, milk, and salt. Again, add minced onion & garlic.

islandpiper

OK, I may as well check in, too. I use fresh, bulk pork sausage. That's the kind without any casing, etc. Pinch it off in bits into the iron fry pan. Fry this out till it is done, continuing to manipulate it with the spoon or spatula, to make the bits smaller. Leave that in the pan, and spread plain old white flour onto it and the pan with a spoon, or flour shaker, or little tea strainer, till there is a nice bit of flour in there to soak up the fat. (eating fat is not healthy, so soak it up into the four and you can't see it. So, it is safer this way.) Pour some milk into the pan, stirring.....add a bit of strong coffee, too, if you want something like RED EYE gravy. Bring back to a boil and cook for five minutes or so on lo to med heat. If you made it a little stiff, then it is easy to thin it out.

While it is cooking, give it a little salt and a good grind of pepper......taste and adjust.

Good breakfast on a frosty morning. Good dinner the other 11 1/2 months of the year.

Piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
a Bald Cypress...

Count me in on liking SOS , over some toast or a biscuit , some good eating. The grocery store I visit a lot has the chipped beef so the SOS can be made the traditional way.
Using hamburger in place of the chipped beef works rather well , I never refuse either of them.

But , heck , I also like carrot an raisin salad. :lol:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I was agreeing with Chuck - right up to the raisin & carrot salad. THAT stuff, like hot dogs, bologna, and gritz, is what you feed city kids that don't know any better. sigh

No kid who grew up in the country would voluntarily eat any of it.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
I was agreeing with Chuck - right up to the raisin & carrot salad. THAT stuff, like hot dogs, bologna, and gritz, is what you feed city kids that don't know any better. sigh

No kid who grew up in the country would voluntarily eat any of it.

Jezzzzzzeeee Jack.

I was raised in the country and we grew our own carrots for the salad , the grapes were harder to get , we had to catch the dogs so we could pick the grapes and then let them dry into rasins.. :lol:

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I like it easy....So I use the Pillsbury Buttermilk biscuits and than I do the gravy something like this...

* 8 ounces breakfast sausage
* 2 tablespoons shortening or lard(save your bacon fat for this...)
* 3 tablespoons flour
* 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups milk
* salt and pepper, to taste
* dash cayenne pepper or Zatarains
Cook sausage in a medium skillet over medium-low heat, stirring and breaking up with a spatula. With a slotted spoon, removed the browned crumbled sausage to a paper towel-lined plate. Add 2 tablespoons shortening, vegetable oil, or lard to the drippings in the skillet.Add flour, stirring until blended and bubbling. Gradually add 1 1/2 cups milk; continue stirring and cooking until thickened and bubbly. Add the crumbled sausage. If too thick, add a little more milk. Taste and add salt and pepper. Stir in a dash of cayenne pepper, if desired.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Oldyaker ....

Ya sound almost like a southerner ( Especially since you like grits) but some of the Yankee is still showing with you Biscuits and Gravy recipe.

A true , died in the wool , southerner would only use Jimmy Dean Sausage , never would think of using anything else. Except when it is not available then it has to be Dixie Pride sausage. Anything else is just a Yankee imitation of the real thing. :roll:

A good southern breakfast would be the biscuits with the gravy smothering them , some sunny side eggs and a heaping helping of grits with the gravy swimming in a pool in the center of them.

You know , a breakfast like you had at the Family Restaurant in Folkston on that one trip before hitting the St.Marys River ....... "O"oop's forgot the side order of sausage and biscuits plus the large pitcher of Coffee. (Not a cup .. folks .. a pitcher) :wink:

Chuck.