Boat build with PVC/vinyl sheeting? | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Boat build with PVC/vinyl sheeting?

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
I'm probably late with this reply, but one of the reasons to thicken epoxy is to keep it from getting squeezed out of the joint that you are gluing.

If the joint is very precisely fitted, and you clamp the parts together while the adhesive is curing, there is a danger of "starving" the joint - that is, squeezing out so much of the adhesive that not enough is left in the joint to do its' job.

Thickening the epoxy can't totally prevent this, but it helps.

On the other hand, let's say your joint is not perfect - it has some pretty big gaps in it. In that case, unthickened epoxy might just pour out of the joint, leaving gaps. Thickened epoxy would stay in the joint, filling gaps.

I suspect that thickening epoxy TOO much would probably interfere with adhesion, but I don't have facts to back that up... maybe one of the other guys will comment.

I thicken epoxy a lot for making fillets, a lot less for use as an adhesive, and not at all for glass work.

George

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
The techniques for using epoxy are similar for all brands. Mix ratios and thickness may vary, but the methods do not. That said go to the WEST System site and download their user's manual. It is about the most detailed around and has pictures to illustrate many of the procedures. Just remember that you will probably using wood flour in place of their cotton fibers and they are against thinning their product. Others on this forum have thinned the epoxy for the saturation coat with excellent results. As you experiment just work with small amounts and remember-experience is how we learn to recognize a mistake when we repeat it.

After the first boat there is no turning back. You will have joined the dark side.