Brazos river trip (the wildlife) | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Brazos river trip (the wildlife)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Here is a reference that will help you, Bill. It, however, will be of no use to those who do not want advice.
]

Guilty as insinuated.....I guess that would be me in this case because I like advice that can help or be useful. :lol:

That's good for winds up to twice what the tent can take under normal situations or 50 mph...... still about 40 mph short on what they said our winds were during the night. :roll: Plus the max substantial winds on the tent rigged that way is 5mph less then the winds we were paddling in to reach the takeout point.

For Florida , Glades camping on a Chickee.
For milder winds , like a Tropical Storm a Timberline can be wired down to the boards on a Chickee when paddling the Glades and a blow moves in. 120 pound wire leader does a good job when wrapped around the boards and tied off to the rings at the bottom of the tent corners. The tent will be air born ( to a small degree , your stuff in there will help it stay down ) but will not go anywhere. You can't use nails on the Chickees or anything permanent driven into the boards.

Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Chuck
My little 49.00 Academy tent has no steel in it.
I wish I had ran the wind ties out on the tent .
I figure in 40 years I got caught in a bad storm on the river ,I can relax again for 40 more
Ron

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Dang....I reckon it iz bad when ya slept out in so many hoodoochies that ya fergit some of 'em.

Truthful Jack, I run two ropes from the top of my fly. After I added them my fly stayed put, so did my tent. It never completely fell in.....just on the foot end where the pole broke. Ronnie took hiz big knife up in the trees 'n come back with two good size wood stakes. Thanks Ronnie. I went up 'n cut some fer the High Sheriff later, after hiz tent went fer a short stroll. A rope on the frame sounds good ta me....mebbe on the rain fly too? I had already put some small metal stakes (come with the tent) on the fly.....like I always do (mainly ta pull out the side of the tent to make it seem bigger inside).

The Campmor fella who sold me some more poles yesterday asked if I needed some of them "sand stakes". I seen 'em, but the 12" steel stakes would likely do the job if I jest had a few more of 'em. I would likely git a Eureka dome tent fer the Brazos....even without the Sparkanator along. If he paddles it ever year fer the next 40 years, there will be 40 storms. [chuckle]

regards
bearridge

No opera plot can be sensible, for people do not sing when they are feeling sensible. W. H. Auden

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bear....

For years I have threaten to get the sand stakes , especially for the soft sand we have down here. Regular steaks don't work worth a chit on the beach sand , it is just to loose. Those big plastic yellow steaks do OK but I will get the sand steaks , at lease a dozen of them , that would cover the tie downs for the tent and fly including the storm tie off for the rain fly. Those suckers should hold just about anything. :D
I don't know why but camping solo I never have a problem , it is only when I go with someone and they offend Mother Nature. :lol:

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Wannabe San,

Me'n piper worked mitey hard ta make ya feel at home at the geezer gatherin'. I used up 40-60% of my brain on that Mexican/Jap/redneck sushi, but piper done most of the high thinkin'. By the time I got ta Denham Springs that evenin' I wuz kinda slow....kinda like that time when Lex Luther dropped the kryptonite in the bath tub with Superman.

I figger we come onta a new food craze. That aint eazy....even if ya been ta the Bodine Culinary Institute like me. I dont know bout Emeril, Bobby, Rachel, the fat trashy white woman 'er Cat, but me'n piper will likely be famous. We mite come up with our own cookin' show. piper kin come out in a skirt 'n play them bagpipes.....somethin' by George Jones 'er Earl Monroe....'n then we cook. I always wanted ta do a tv fishin' show....kinda like Bill Dance. Too bad Ole Ken Burns didnt come along with a camera crew on the Brazos. The Nationalized Geographic woulda had ta pay thru the nose if Ken lost hiz nerve 'n didnt put us all over PBS.

I got three good tv show ideas.....fishin' with geezers, cookin' with geezers 'n shootin' airguns with geezers (kinda like pro rasslin' where one guy wears a white hat......opps....I reckon I best sign off before Mick wants ta know what I been sippin').

regards
bearridge

ps Thinkin' outside the box? Heck, I dont even know there wuz a box!

Heckler: Mr. Churchill, you're drunk!
Churchill: Yes, I am; and you are ugly. But tomorrow, I shall be sober.