Bread pudding (What my momma called 'Po' folks cake) | SouthernPaddler.com

Bread pudding (What my momma called 'Po' folks cake)

Steve

The other day, I got a craving for some bread pudding. . . Susie had always heard of it but had never tried it. . . so I made me some. . . .

In a large bowl:
1 loaf of bread (some folks cut it into cubes. . .me, I just tear it into pieces)
1 cup of raisins (if you're like me, preferably a lot more)

In a medium bowl:
2 cans of evaporated milk
3/4 cup of brown sugar
4 tablespoons of melted butter
2 teaspoons of vanilla
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg

Mix the stuff in the medium bowl up, then pour it into the large bowl with the bread and raisins and stir it up good. . . Once you have it all mixed up good, let it sit for about 10 minutes while you butter up a baking dish real good. . . That done, pour the bread mix into the baking dish and bake it at 325 for a half hour or so or until you can stick a knife in it and it comes out clean. . .

One thing I have found out about most folks here in I-dee-ho. . . :? They be a WHOLE bunch o' 'em up here that never even heered of bread pudding :shock: . . . . . I had to explain to a bunch of folks what it were. . . . :lol:

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Sounds delicious. Almost as many recipes for bread pudding as there is for gumbo. Our family made bread pudding quite a bit differently. It had a custard base. 8 egg yokes, 1/2 gal whole milk , white sugar to taste, slightly stale french bread and a little vanilla and topped with meringue. The milk was heated (momma called it "scalded") and combined with the whipped egg yokes, sugar and vanilla. Enough bread was added to absorb about half of the custard base. It was topped with meringue and put in the oven just long enough to brown the meringue a bit. It was quite smooth and liquidy- not cake-like at all. The custard tasted like super high quality french vanilla ice cream. Yum!

Never met anyone's version of bread pudding I didn't like.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Never had it, but it sounds good. It was just strange to see what everyone else called bread pudding when I started getting out in the world. 99 % of them were the cake type. Most common pudding (vanilla, chocolate, banana,etc.) is moist and gooey.

Like I said- - I like 'em all.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
i done had my supper but after reading this you geezers sho are making me hungry. :wink: :) i,m about like joey they aint much i don,t like. :D