Brown Rice, Tomato's and Basil | SouthernPaddler.com

Brown Rice, Tomato's and Basil

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Using some fresh garden tomato's and basil.....tried this today and it's pretty darn good. :p

Brown Rice, Tomato's and Basil
* 1 cup Texmati brown rice
* 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
* 1/4 cup Champagne or rice wine vinegar ( See Bobason (Wannabe) for rice vinegar our resident Kamakazi)
* 2 teaspoons sugar
* 1 tablespoon good olive oil
* Freshly ground black pepper
* 1 pound ripe tomatoes, large-diced
* 1 cup packed basil leaves (1 large bunch), chopped

Directions

Bring 2 1/4 cups water to a boil and add the rice and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Return to a boil, cover, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, until the rice is tender and all the water is absorbed. Transfer the rice to a bowl.

Whisk together the vinegar, sugar, olive oil, remaining teaspoon of salt, and a pinch of pepper. Pour over the rice. Add the tomatoes and basil. Mix well and check the seasonings. Serve at room temperature.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Good idea! Okra!!!

I need to keep Pat away from you Chuckles....Today she said wondered how good Maranara Sauce over grits would be and Parmesan cheese.... :roll:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker said:
Good idea! Okra!!!

I need to keep Pat away from you Chuckles....Today she said wondered how good Maranara Sauce over grits would be and Parmesan cheese.... :roll:

Sounds good but like this morning just some salt , pepper and butter on the grits. Had them with the eggs an bacon and on the side some biscuits smothered with a good dose of sausage gravy. Took another biscuit and stuffed it with some bacon for a dessert. :D

Chuck.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Yak,
We are lucky here in Anahuac. We have two grocery stores. One is owned by Vietnamese folks. They carry Rooster Sauce, Rooster Chilie and Garlic sauce ( it comes in a smaller jar as it don't take as much, that stuff will punch your ticket for you), sweet& sour sauces, fish sauce, and assorted other stuff. Otherwise we would have to go to the big towns for such as that.
Just be careful bout them Jap jokes. I know me a rough and tumble junk yard dog Southern Lawyer who only wears one shoe. :mrgreen:
Wan nabe Bob (gonna go take me a little nip now)

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Wannabe San,

Our Mister Sam Walton Store carries the hot Rooster sauce 'n some other tasty Asia sauces. I run outta fish sauce, but I know a tiny Chinaman grocery store in a small town 20 miles away that carries ever kinda Jap 'n Chink sauce ya kin imagine. I dont git the Travel Channel on my tv, but whenever I kin git it, I look fer that fella who haz eat 'n drunk hiz way round the world a dozen times.....eatin' ever thing in site 'n drinkin' it too. Some shows it looks like he got a bad head....likely too much homemade Greek whiskey, shootin' 9mms, dancin' with fellas, cuttin' the throat of a goat 'n eatin' hiz innards.

I wish the tv folks would pay my way round the world eatin' all that good stuff. Hey, ya wanna go too? I bet I need a fella who kin talk Jap 'n chop suey talk if I aim ta eat 'n drink my way round the world. I bet we come back with enuff recipes ta keep oldyaker busy fer 6-8 months. [chuckle]

Ever ate a snake? Chased a buffalo?

regards
bearridge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WirclNop_hA

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Bear,
I have eat snake. The only buffalo I chased was when I was a little ole kid. The buffalo was on the back of a nickle. If I could round up two of em that was good for a big ole Toms Chicken Leg candy and a bottle of coke. OOps, almost forgot. Later in life I was chasing Buffalo Girls. :D :D
Bob

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I sho did like a Stage Plank. Put peanuts in my Nehi grapette....when I had some extra dough. Mister G.B. Sanders had some big plastic jars with penny cookies 'n two fer a penny cookies at hiz country store. Dang good cookies when yer low on pennies.

I recall the Holloway sucker that wuz mitey danged hard ta eat.....it mite grab hold of yer teeth fer a while. They had Red Hots 'n Milk Duds at the pichur show. After I growed up I liked ta git a giant nickel pickle. Come in a plastic bag. I drank all the juice too. Nobody I knew wasted good stuff like that.

regards
bearridge

Just barely enough to get by on, I reckon. Mmm. I reckon he got by alright.  Mmm.  They used to come out, one or the other, usually my mother and feed me pretty regular.  Mmm-hmm.  So I know he made enough to where I could have mustard and biscuits three or four times a week.  Karl Childers