Buffalo River '09 | SouthernPaddler.com

Buffalo River '09

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I pulled out jest az the sun come up Tuesday. Arkansaw wuz green, wet 'n sunny. The highroad thru Little Rock wuz eazy now that they finally got it fixed. Nobody had no cheap gas fer sale like back home. Somewhere round the town of Pelsor, I begun ta notice the trees wuz tore up bad....real bad. At first it looked like a tornado....but it went on 'n on. Then I recalled Dano 'n Ole Buzzard Tom sent pichurs of the ice storm a while back. That wuz it. It looked like a war where both sides bombed the snot outta each other....fer months.....like back in World War Eleven in France.

I made it ta Jasper, population 498. [In Arkansaw when ya drive inta a town, they got a sign that tells how many folks live there.] Then I took off on highroad #74 fer the last winding mountain stretch ta Ponca. I come upon the Low Gap church 'n the Low Gap General Store where the paddlin' geezer canoe clud held a breakfast meetin' back in April, 2005. The store shut down last year after the fella who run it lost hiz good help....hiz wife. She run off with hiz used-ta-be-good-friend. Then he put pichurs of 'em all over the internet, tellin' how they done him wrong.

I seen a fair number of folks gittin' ready ta paddle when I come down the mountain ta the bridge. By now it wuz after lunch 'n the day wuz downrite hot....hardly any breeze, not a dark cloud in the sky. The river looked jest like it did in April, 2005 when the geezers shoved off....without the rain 'n the dark clouds, but when I checked it wuz 3.26' in '05 (3.75' in '08). I unloaded, drove my pickup ta the Buffalo Outdoor Center 'n walked back down ta the bridge. It wuz good ta walk some. I wuz a mite stove up after the drive. I even stopped ta look at the tiny, ole barn 'n stable frum the early 1800's.

The guviment gauge sez it wuz 3.65' when I shoved off. The best water iz 2.8'-4.8', but when it gits ta 4.8' ya better know yer whitewater moves. When it gits much over 4.8' the guviment shuts the river down....no matter how good ya figger ya kin paddle. That comes frum a whitewater paddler. The guviment rangers give a bit more careful advice....fer the mom, pop 'n kids who come out ta blow down frum Ponca ta Kyles Landin', then head fer home.

Four women shoved off in two canoes jest before me. A group with a raft showed up 'n anuther group with two canoes 'n a kayak wuz gittin' ready when I got my gear loaded. Az the Commodore, Paddling Gator, Dano, Tom, the High Sheriff, Swampy, Dapper Al 'n oldyaker kin tell ya'll there iz some mitey fast water at the bridge 'n a few big rocks slap dab in the middle of the river bout 10-15 yards downstream. It dont give ya long ta git the feel fer fast movin' water. When I shoved off I had the river ta myownself fer bout 30 minutes.

The water wuz clear 'n movin' good. The paddle down ta the Steel Creek campground (where the geezers met up, ate good, tole tall tales 'n got soaked cuz the Master of Flow Bizness brung anuther hoodoochie down on us) took bout 30 minutes. Steel Creek iz bout 2 miles frum Ponca Bridge. I tried ta slow down some. I still git kinda excited when I first put on any swift water. I had made up my mind ta paddle downstream a bit farther'n last year so the last day would be a bit eazier. I looked fer a spot where I mite sip some Dago Red 'n watch the sunset on Big Bluff.

I begun ta notice the river bank all tore up.....over 'n over. It looked like wild hogs had been tryin' ta root 'em up, but I knew it wuz horses 'n the folks with a heap a money who wormed their way inta the first nationalized scenic river. When I seen Big Bluff, I begun ta search the banks fer a goof hammock campsite. Bein' my first time on fast movin' water with a hammock, lookin' fer trees 'n watchin' out fer big rocks 'n logs in the river took some doin'. I seen this couple who had pulled up on the bank of a sandbar cross frum Big Bluff 'n I pulled up too. Fella sez somethin' bout "....buy yer captain". I figgered he wuz makin' a Somali joke. I sez "let's wait on the Marines". He sez somethin' that made it clear he wanted ta "buy my Caption". I paddle a Dagger Caption royalex canoe that kin put a can of whup ass on a carport. That aint the first time folks tried ta buy it off me.....even with all the carport marks.

I checked out that sandbar. First thing I seen was a rock circle with busted beer bottles 'n some empty burned cans where somebody had left their garbage. It iz agin the law ta have any glass on the river. I sez "dont seem ta me that nobody in a canoe would do a thing like that on this river". Fella sez "yeah.....but them horseback ridin' folks mite?" I tole 'em I enjoyed the visit 'n moved round the bend ta the other side of Big Bluff. There iz a pretty campin' spot with a swell view. I tried ta git the paddlin' geezer canoe clud in there back 'n 2005, but it wuz already full.....same with last year....same agin this year. There wuz a bearded fella settin' in a chair wearin' a mitey stylish high dollar hat. There wuz some women, one fella had a Wenonah boat 'n they had a fine lookin' dog. I asked the fella how he liked that canoe. He sez "fine, but not on this river agin". They wuz on a 10 day 135 mile trip ta Buffalo City on the White River.

I went on a short distance 'n pulled off. I seen some hammock trees, but the ground wuz all tore up like hogs had been rootin' all day. There iz a fair amount of horseshit along the river now. The guviment didnt allow that at first. It wuz like when the camel got hiz nose under the tent. First they let 'em in the park, then they let 'em ride "close" ta the river, then they jest give up 'n let 'em ride where they like...even cross the river. I found anuther ring of stones, burnt cans, but no broken beer bottles this time. Musta been a higher class cowboy frum the dude ranch.

I didnt git the best view of the bluffs, but by the time I got my hammock strung 'n gear unloaded, it wuz five o'clock somewhere. I raized my glass of Dago Red 'n come mitey close ta reglar prayer......thankful that I didnt spend my day at work, doin' chores 'er listenin' ta loud mufflers 'n boom boxes. Not the best view of Big Bluff, but there wuz plenty ta see. I figgered ya really dont have ta find the big daddy dip dog funky monkey of camp sites ta have a fine time on the Buffalo River. I seen five buzzards cross the river, but no big group of 'em dancin' on the hot air like last year. There wuz rapid noise close by, which aint bad when yer tryin' ta git some shut eye.

It wuz quiet. Ever now 'n then that dog barked 'n I kept my fingers crossed that it didnt bark all nite. I begun ta git angry at dog owners who never seem ta notice the racket their dogs make....more folks that aint dead only cuz it iz agin the law ta kill 'em. The sunset behind the mountains iz always special ta me cuz I live in a swamp. I am glad I dont live close by....cuz I mite be like them local folks who kin drive down the road 'n paddle any time they feel like it. It iz hard ta see the beauty where ya live.

Then come my big surprize. Weather forecast sez 39 degrees the first nite. I hoped I wuz ready. Had my pad, my big fella bag, some fresh wool socks, sweat pants, had my polartec Chili Head hat 'n even smartwool gloves az back up....even took some of them magic "hot bags" frum the Sam Walton Store. Miz Bear 'n the Texas River Rat buy some whenever they put a red tag price on 'em. I didnt need 'em. Not only that, I slept real good. Only heard that dog once, mebbe twice, after dark.

Next mornin' I got my fire goin' thanks ta the lighter knot (fat wood) me'n Mac picked up on the St. Mary a few years ago. The dew wuz so heavy, nuthin' would burn, so I used some of that wood.....got the camp fire lit, got out the Zip stove 'n vegetable cheese omelet MRE 'n coffee fixings. That wuz my first MRE dud. Better me than a soldier outside the fence up on some mountain in Waziristan chasin' ragheads thru the caves. Besides the omelet, there wuz some hashbrowns with bacon. I dont know who come up with hashbrown taters....'er why. That wuz my first time ta chunk vittles in the fire.

After that I went back ta enjoyin' the mornin'. It wuz warmer'n I had figgered. Then I begun ta study the hammock. Why did I sleep so good? What wuz different frum the other times when I had such a hard time? I slept purty good (bout half the time) on the St. Mary on the last trip, but that wuz mostly a long nap when that hoodoochie come lookin' fer Ole Sparkler 'n I run ta my hammock jest before the bottom fell out. It rained so hard, I wuz stuck there til it passed. It musta rained hard fer a few hours. I slept good 'n stayed warm 'n dry in that December rain. Now, strugglin' with a sleepin' bag wuz bad az ever, but now that iz the only really bad part of hammock campin' fer me. I studied how the ropes wuz hung 'n the lines. I slept way down in the foot end of the hammock this time. Mebbe that wuz it?

By the time I wuz ready ta load up, I had my mind rite fer Chuck's Ledge 'n Gray Rock Shoals, plus that squirrelly whirlpool at Hemmed In Hollow where them women stripped the High Sheriff down ta hiz drawers back in 2005. There wuz waterfalls along the river. There wuz a few more rapids that I musta fergot, but none of 'em wuz too bad, altho my canoe jest caint dance on the water with a boatload of gear. I begun ta see how hard it musta been on the paddlin' geezers back in 2005. Most of 'em wuz paddlin' flat water boats. They do okay if ya kin line up rite, then shoot thru, but the Buffalo haz rapids where ya gotta make some quick turns. I begun ta ponder how hard that had ta be in a flatwater canoe built ta track.....loaded down with a heap a cubic feet. No tellin' how many cubic feet the Commodore 'n Ray had in their canoe.

I kept my eye out fer Chuck's Ledge. I aimed ta give it a try over on river left where Dapper Al run it. I figgered I would pull out first 'n give it a once over. I come upon some noisy water 'n but it didnt look like the ledge. I wuz runnin' left center when it dawned on me it wuz Chuck's ledge. It wuz comin' at me fast 'n thanks ta all the gear, I seen rite off I wuz gwine thru it ready 'er not. A pichur jumped inta my mind....me blowed out, tryin' ta rescue my paddle, boat 'n all my danged gear. I wondered what I mite lose. Then I seen the spot I figger Dapper Al went over, but I didnt git far enuff left....there wuz this big rock waitin' after a big drop. I put the paddle in the water az my boat dropped off that ledge 'n barely missed the big rock below. When I pulled out 'n looked back, that ledge jest didnt look rite. Ya mite learn how ta run a rapid, but sometimes in a big flood, the river gods move the rocks round 'n the rapid not only dont look the same, it aint the same.

Whilst I wuz lookin' at the ledge, I seen the dudes 'n dudettes on horses, crossin' the river agin....third group that mornin'. The first time I pulled over cuz all of 'em had made it cross the river, cept fer this last cowgirl whose horse needed a good whisperin'. I quit lookin' at the half empty metal cup 'n done like Lucas Jackson. I got my mind rite agin, cuz jest below Chuck's Ledge iz Gray Rock Shoals. After I made it thru 'em, I felt like all the hard stuff wuz behind me. Funny how them two rapids make ya fergit the rest that lie downstream. I pulled inta Kyles Landing where the geezers camped 'n dryed out gear. It wuz hot 'n sunny agin....jest like Tuesday. I seen a half dozen cars 'n trucks in the parkin' lot. [Day trip paddlers flyin' downriver frum Ponca Bridge.]

I refilled my water bottles (kept the weight down that way) 'n got on the phone. Miz Bear wuz out, so I left a message. I called Dano 'n tole him I wuz sorry he wuz in hiz office. I stretched my legs, piddled round 'n shoved off ta find a good spot fer my hammock. This trip I swore off the guviment campgrounds. After last year when I camped at Kyles 'n that fella pulled out hiz bongo drums, I figgered it wuz dangerous fer me ta camp there. Besides last year, jest before the thunder caught up with me 'n the lightnin' begun ta crack, I seen a group on a gravel bar not too far down frum Kyles that looked like a great place ta camp.

That spot wuz kinda like a 100 yard woman. I moved on. I worked harder at pickin' the rite spot ta run the ledges 'n the low water bridge above Erbie. I likely caint ever find anuther boat like mine, so I aim ta try not ta scrap the bottom too often 'er hit the carport agin. I recalled lookin' at the NOAA site fer Jasper. There iz a map on the page that shows all the mountains along the river. If ya zoom in ya kin see the bluffs that have names, side creeks, campgrounds 'n such. It looked like the bluffs that take yer breath iz mainly above Kyles, but jest cuz one aint the tallest east of the Mississippi River, it iz still purty enuff ta give ya a mitey good feelin'. I made a mistake Tuesday. I stayed on my knees too long. When I stopped it took near bout 10 minutes fer me ta git up outta the canoe. I dont jump inta it like I used ta either. I scairt myownself a few times cuz me'n agile aint on a first name basis no more. I swore I would stop more often the second day. I got up off my knees 'n sat on the seat, but that boat iz awful TIPPY when a big fella sets like that.

I found a decent spot behind a gravel bar 'n set up agin. It wuz likely 1:30-2:00 pm. That give me more time ta ponder things. I wuz glad I didnt have a tent. I spent my set up time standin'....not stoopin', bendin', crawlin', etc. It haz been a while since my back didnt bother me much on a river campin' expedishun. I begun ta realize how a geezer oughta work extra hard not ta use no energy he dont have ta. I looked round at my gear. This spot had a big tree layin' on the gravel bar. I set a heap a gear on the trunk....kinda like a table.

Then I come up with anuther idea. The Brazos River wuz the first time I didnt set out a rope line. There wuz no trees. Here I had a rope hung. I had three cheap carabiners I picked up at the Sam Walton Store. Ya know how sometimes ya buy some campin' gear, even tho ya dont know exactly why? Well, I know one reason now. I took that rope line down on one end 'n made three loops in the rope. Then I tied the loose end back ta the tree. I put a carabiner in each loop. I didnt have ta stoop 'n it wuz eazy ta hook 'er unhook gear frum the clothesline. I know some gear, like a life saver will hang on a rope, but when ya put enuff gear on a rope line, it tends ta slide ta the center. Them rope loops with carabiners hold yer gear where ya put it.

I reckon that wuz all of the good ideas I come up with this time. Next time I will take my slop jar, kung fu machete 'n fruit juice (if the weather mite be hot 'n sunny). I got awful thirsty the first day. By the time ya git thirsty, yer body iz already runnin' a quart 'er two low on water. I am sorry there wuz no good tale in all of this. No lightnin' crackin' all round my head, no big hoodoochie, no bongo fury, no 100 mph winds, no naked women, blowin' out, etc. Fer the first time in many years I didnt see the Canadians. This wuz mostly a gear report. I am workin' on a idea that iz near bout half baked......wearin' some warm clothes in the hammock 'n leave the sleepin' bag at home. It aint all that hard ta rassle with one polartec blanket. I recall when I wuz a little pardner Momma got my brother 'n me some sleepin' clothes that went all the way frum yer toes ta yer neck. Had some snaps in the chest ta climb in 'n out. When ya got 'em on, ya looked like a fella in a bunny costume without the mask 'er a cotton tail. I figger wool socks, mebbe polartec pants, a wool shirt, with a extra polartec jacket, my Chili Head hat 'n wool gloves on standby.

Dano took me back ta my pickup, but on the way we stopped in Jasper fer a sammich 'n a look at the Newton County jail. Mebbe Dano will take a pichur of it next time he iz there? It iz a tiny square jail.....rite outta some ole western movie. All stone, two story......bout 30'x30'x60'. I figgered there wuz a outhouse. On my way home I stopped in ta visit with Tom 'n Miz Winnie up on Buzzard's Bluff. What a fine way to close out a Ozark trip! Miz Winnie fixed me a sunrize special breakfast like she done last year. I reckon I like breakfast best of all. The rest of the vittles jest keep my stomach frum rumblin' til the next breakfast.

I wished some of ya'll had been there ta enjoy the good parts (most of the trip), but it jest aint a place fer a boat that aint made fer whitewater. Mebbe the paddlin' geezers had some luck on their side back in 2005?

regards
bearridge

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bear....

Sounds like you had a good trip but I noticed you did not say anything about what you used for the campfire , was it the same things you used on the Brazo River , might of not been those on this trip would of been fresher and from horses. :lol:

Hate to hear the old boy's wife ran off with a buddy of his , that was one good breakfast she cooked up for us before we hit the river back in 05.

Yep , you are correct we had help (from somewhere) in 05 making it down the river , might of been the high water or just dumb ,luck with out flat water boats. That 1st campsite we had where you tenters camped up on the hill and we swung from the trees at the river bank is one good hammock camping area. If I could of fallen out of my hammock I would of landed in the river.

Some time , since you had good weather on this trip , Ron (windy) Myself ( wet) and oldyaker ( cold ) and Darrell ( lighting) need to be there this way you will feel like you are camping.

As I was reading your trip report the pictures of the areas you mentioned came to mind so it was almost like a slide show as I read along with your posting.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Mister High Sheriff,

There wuz a heap a firewood jest a few steps away. They had a big rain 3-4 days before I got there. River went up ta 6'. I even had some nice cedar logs that burned good. I got a dollar sez Ronnie, 'n Darrell will come over some April ta paddle the Buffalo. That may not have been what ya meant, but with all the time on the river fer ponderin' (not paddlin'), I come up with a new idea. Dano near bout went with me, but he haz been so busy takin' care of hiz Mom, he aint even put the Big Red SOB in the water yet. I left it there somewhere round 2006. He wuz talkin' bout mebbe next year. At one point he mentioned paddlin' the Little Buffalo River (runs rite thru Jasper). That wuz a good idea. Even in that canoe, he oughta paddle some fast movin' water before jumpin' on the Upper Buffalo.

I done a heap a drivin' Tuesday, Thursday 'n Friday.....more time fer ponderin'. I jest got tired of Beethoven. I am a Mozart fella. On the bluff me'n Tom talked bout bein' careful with folks who never paddled much rocky water in a boat they aint used ta paddlin'. We talked bout yer spill 'n that I didnt see why it bothered ya back then. After tryin' ta paddle a flatwater canoe on movin' water (Brazos), I seen how hard it wuz ta make 'em turn on a dime. Ta git ta the point, there aint no rapids on the Lower Buffalo. Same fer the middle stretch, but it always looked like too much paddlin' ta me.

The lower river dont have all them take-yer-breath-away bluffs, but if the paddlin' geezer canoe clud wants anuther mountain trip, that would be the best trade off I kin imagine. Somewhere in the middle of all that ponderin', the idea come up of a two part trip. 4 days 3 nites on the Upper Buffalo, the same on the lower part (unless it iz the last 25 miles ta Buffalo City). If the gatherin' up spot on the lower river wuz Buffalo Point State Park, they got hot showers. If anybody (like Darrell) caint take off quite that long, he mite jest paddle one part? However, the fishin' iz best on the middle 'n lower stretches.

regards
the ponderator

ps Ya kin even paddle the lower river in the fall.

Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence. Thomas Jefferson

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bear....

While out in the shop sanding and filling the scratches on the bottom of my canoe , I have come to the conclusion that it is not a rocky or rapid water boat. There are some battle scratches that just left a mark and there are the ones I am working on that went to the glass but not threw it , Those rocks were checking to see if any glass was there. :roll:

Paddling on our sand bottom rivers there has been nothing , not even a scuff mark and that is even after hanging up on a stump or branch a couple of times.

Thank you for the offer but for me it is sandy rivers like Blackwater in November for me from now on. Besides that there are millions of trees , just right for a hammock camper. "O" , almost forgot .... I have to take some folks down Rock Springs Run next month but that is like Blackwater a civilized southern river with tons of wildlife. Heck even the trees cover it , making it like a tunnel at times. No Coyotes ( that I know of but they are in this area and for sure no Buffalo ) but one nice river with Deer , Black Bear , Otters and all sorts of critters and birds even Wild Turkeys. :D

Fact of the matter is that is the reason for it , they want to get some shots (pictures) of the wildlife.

Just a couple I have taken paddling there.
RSpgsRun_22.jpg

I have this one of the Ibis enlarged and in my bedroom.
RSpgsRun_25.jpg

RSpgsRun_24.jpg

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Br'r Bear. Your comfortable sleeping may have been due to the pad you had under you. Sometimes, I hang off of a pad that is "just the right size". But one that's too big never seems to offer that problem. When I hang off, it gets COLD and I wake up.

Being feet low may have helped. I often have to grab ahold and pull myself back up towards the head end.

I'm strongly partial to wearing clothes to bed in the bag. I can unzip the bag if it's too warm. I like insulation and R factor working in my favor. I know that Ronnie prefers to sleep nude, but just the thought of that big red neck running around nekkid in the night chills my blood. And - after he's rubbed on oil??!! I locked my tent. :roll:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Truthful Jack,

I always had a pad in there. I dont figger the pad iz what made it go so well. I think sleepin' down at the foot end done it. Everthin' else wuz like it had been before. The head end of the hammock wuz kinda high, which iz why I ended up sleepin' down in the low end. [My head wuz jest up frum the middle.] Not only that, this time I wuz able ta see out....'n enjoy the view. When I slept up near the head end, there wuz nuthin' ta see but green nylon.....unless I took the fly off 'n then all I seen wuz the sky 'n treetops.

I pondered some on yer water filter/cleaner/strainerator. That clear, cold, mountain river water woulda come out jest fine if I had one with me. I bet horseshit iz eazy ta strain. However, since all the guviment campsites had tap water, I jest carried enuff ta git me ta the next one.

regards
bearridge
sideways bound

Hell, Will.  We ain't bad men no more.  Shit, we're farmers.  Ned Logan

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Now Chuck and Bear you need to come back to Texas and we will paddle that strech again,with all the rain the ole Brazos be a whole different river,she is up about 6 ft now that makes it real interesting to paddle.
Those streches that the river narrows down to twenty yards from a hundred right up the river be whistling now and the strainers are in the water now so it does make it interesting.
In places the ole river is a 150 yards wide and those rocks are sticking up still ,in spots she just gets widder not deeper. But I will say if you take the wrong line now its like playing a pinball machine bouncing of them rocks . that water be moving.

You have to be sort of on edge some times cause them 100 ft cottonwood trees are still coming down, and they sure can mess a fellows day up if one slaps you..
I sure think you ought to run back thrue Lousiania pic the folks up there and bbear can brin the folks from up north and we will take us another paddle on the Brazos.
Ron
Me and Darrel are ready.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Darn Ron that sounds like some fun , lots of fun.

The trouble of it is that I'm in the process of designing some skid sheets for the bottom of the boat , preferably titanium ones about 3/8 inch thick and case harden for the next time I paddle the Brazos River.

I was thinking that a copy of the Monitor might be better but those Yankees will not give me a set of plans for that Iron Clad so I have to design something myself. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Steve said:
Ron, do you get the idea these guys are a tad bit skittish when it comes to the Brazos? They wouldn't know good water if'n they was bathin' in it. . . or is that what they's a-skeert is gonna happen? :lol: :lol: :lol:

leave it to a Krazy Texan , he tried to get us to bath with those rapids and since that failed he tried to have us take a shower that one night. That worked about 90% and it wasn't even Saturday night.
Now ole Bear is real good at having folks take a dip in the river and not even on a Saturday Night. :roll:

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

Dano sent me this frum hiz fishin' forum. The fella who wrote this Buffalo River report paddles some whitewater too. Posted yesterday, so I reckon it happened over the weekend.

Chuck,

Grey Rock aint a problem like it wuz in the ole days, so I figger the first bad spot iz that ledge that some of us run while the others lined round. The second bad spot that he calls the "Grey Rock section" iz Grey Rock Shoals, where Harry 'n Ray rolled over. Eazy ta see how a blow out there would make it hard ta pull out at Kyles, like we done.

enjoy
bearridge

ps I am sorry he didnt come back with pichurs, but I reckon ya'll kin see why.

well, I got to go with the outfitter's last sunday to paddle out 7 fully loaded rental canoes ....( out of state canoe campers!! ) they got stuck in the storm... and had set up there camp site on a island. then they are awaken by water in there tents!!!! and panic ,with water coming up . and called the Rangers to come RESCUE them! ..... Sunday we put on the mighty buffalo in flood stage, water in the steel creek put- in was in the load, and unload area. the two stone walls are no ware to be seen.... 13 of us load into to 2,... 13 ft. star rafts . the first part of the trip was all fun and games, hitting all the big wave trains, that never seemed to end. at jims bluff we come up on the canoes ... packed with piles of soaking wet camping gear....enough for 17 people. we had to lay it all out ,and pack it all up, to head out back down river! ....no matter how we did it, even loading the 2 rafts down heavy, the canoe sat low in the water. so we set them up so we could paddle them solo,.... yeah! (old town discovery 169's.. not my choice as a solo white water canoe!!!) but anyway we take off down river .... well, the big wave trains that seemed so fun in that (safe ,big) raft didn't seem so fun to anyone now!! as we fly down stream.. you had to sit up on your knees to see over the top of some of the waves we hit head on. and each wave would fill up the canoe, so you had to bail like a mad man to keep up with all the water coming in . you couldn't pull over to the bank, the river was up in the trees, and bushes along the bank. and at times it was very hard to figure out were the river went!!...... this is where it gets fun! just above Grey rock the waves are 6 to 7 feet tall ... i kid you not!!!! the raft was first down. from were i'm looking they had a clean line . i see them go over about 5 good ones ,and then i see the guy in the back of the raft, that rudders the raft... just launch!.. and go flying up in the air! i look over to my right nobody was smiling .. funny ..nobody on the left side was either.i ask if everyone is alright and ready to go . who's next?... with the roaring river of foaming muddy water, you could have heard a pin drop!...( or the chirp cricket sound!).... i said just follow me . as i paddle off to the middle of the river, it looked better to me, i hit the first wave and it really shoots the bow of the canoe way high and it slams down on the next one and i'm getting in rhythm of the waves and then i hit the hole that launched the rafter and the canoe stands up on end. i don't know how high, but the thwart put my cigarette out!! so i'm floating around inside the canoe trying my best to keep it heading down stream, i peek over my shoulder to see the next canoe wave jumping along side me ??? but no paddler! as i go by the rafters, and yell to get the throw rope ready! they are way ahead of me. they had 2 set up and ready to go. by the time i got pulled over, they had pulled him in . the others made it down about the same way i did. we re-group and bail out all the water we can. so now we have to go down the Grey rock section! we come up with a plan . both rafts take off down river, and we space out and follow... the waves in this section start off small( about 4 ft tall) yeah!! small little 4 foot waves! but soon they grow at times it felt like i was paddling up hill ,climbing the faces of some waves. you couldn't see anything but the next wave as to crashed into them... waves so strong they tossed me from side to side and all i'm thinking is ..all i have to do is make it to kyles( i'm sure that's what was going on in everyone s head) the last shoot before kyles landing... gear, guys and canoes go floating by , i rope one in. and the rafters grab the other one. i'm pulling in on the rope with canoe, and swimmer in tow. as we blast by kyles landing like it wasn't even there! then start pushing on the sunken canoe to try to slow it down as my swimmer clings to the tail end of my canoe .at camp ORR the boy scout camp we hit the first eddy i could stop at. the water was up on the second or third step . we dump out the now empty canoe and it was a good thing ,as some of the camping gear goes floating by... we gather up all we can as another one of our canoes comes bobbing by. so we both had to push that one into some rocks to stop it, and then did a boat over boat emptying to rescue it. so there are two of us and 3 canoes!! and we are down stream of kyles our take out!!! . our group is split up.!!! "and we are trained paddlers!!..... about an hour later we hear the trucks and trailers coming down the hill into camp ORR to get us !!! later we talked to the RANGER and he tells me how helpless he felt as he watched us go blasting by kyles, and all he could do was watch.!!! but it looked like we had it well in hand from what he saw! .......said the ranger.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
What a wild ride. Dang happy I was not there for that one.
I know what he is saying about paddling , bailing , paddling and more bailing. I was doing that and it was not as bad as what he is describing. Seamed like every wave wanted to come over the bow and join me in the canoe.

The one spot we pulled out at for the night , ( Kyles) before you guys went on down river in the morning with the empty canoes would of been imposable for them to pull out there with that water. If memory serves me , that is right at a slight bend in the river with the take out on the strong side or the outside part of the bend. Plus there was a stone ledge sticking out , almost like a shallow dam just under the water that we had to avoid.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Frum anuther paddlin' board....same weekend, different stretch of river.

Report from the Buffalo My Stupid Story
I left Conway on Friday May first for a relaxing float on the Buffalo. I took all the comfy gear and my old trusty dog, which has been on many river trips and off we, went! I took the raft so I could just relax and not have to worry about getting wet. I got on the river about 2:30 and man it was awesome, what I call a Goldie Lox day not to hot, not to cold, not to sunny, not to cloudy but just right and no wind!! Yes that’s right NO wind!!

I had put in at Pruitt and had floated down too and camped at Gray Bluff about a mile and a half or so above Hasty. I cooked and ate a great steak, green beans and potatoes and got ready for the storm. I had cell service and could watch the radar from my phone and also had a NOAA weather radio I was listening to. So keep in mind it’s not like I was blind I knew how much rain had fallen in the upper Wilderness area. After setting up camp I had placed a few rocks at the waters edge to monitor any rise in the river. I had placed my tent about 4 foot above the water line pulled the raft about 30 ft up the bank and tied it to the tent on the down river side with about 10 foot of rope, just in case! A decision that would become invaluable in just a few short hours! I do not recommend this due to the hazards it could pose as you will see, but it did work out really well this time.

The storms were killer, there is nothing like being in a tent in the Ozarks during a thunder storm, again not something I recommend! Now let me explain I was in a Sierra Designs, Bedouin 4 tent it’s like 8 x 8, with a cot, sleeping pad small table and yes a DVD player. I know that ruins in for some of you and for that I am sorry! So I was very comfortable to say the least. So with my dry bags in the tent before I went to sleep I kind of packed everything up, you know just in case! Nature called about 2:30 and while I was standing down beside my rocks at the water line I noticed the first few had gone under so I knew the river was on the rise, but just a little. So I went back to bed thinking everything was fine it will be daylight in a few hours and I’ll be able to better access things then.

Here is where the fun starts. Now I see myself as a pretty seasoned river guy and have spent hundreds of nights on rivers and I know how fast a river can rise. So with that said here we go.

I woke up about 5:30 I think and there was about a foot of water running under my tent, trust me this is big shock to your system just a moment before you were asleep dreaming about dry, moon filled nights. Only to find out you and your trusted friend are about to float away with 2k worth of gear. I had set my boots and dry pants fireman style by the door again just in case!
I slipped my boots and pants on and zipped up the dry bags and unzipped the tent hoping to find my raft still tied up outside. What I saw next you can not be prepared for. The river was all around my tent about a foot deep and very muddy. During the fury to get my boots on I accidentally knocked my head lamp into the water (trust me you will not stop to look for anything) and it was still very dark and raining, looking back I think the rain is what woke me up. So I had to hold my small flash light in my mouth while I ran around in the water like a mad man and yes Thank GOD the raft was still there floating peacefully in the running water as if to say I have been waiting for YOU!!! I threw everything in the tent into the raft the cot was still setup, sleeping pad blown up, and of course Coochie!! She kept looking at me like what the hell are you doing as she stood on the dry gravel bar just a few feet away. After getting everything out of the tent I started pulling the tent stakes which were now about 14 to 16 inches under water. Water had also started to wash into the open door of the tent. I unhooked the raft and pulled it to the gravel bar and started trying to work the tent out of the water and to dry ground. I would pull on the tent and with the water raising the raft would start to float away and I would have to pull it further up on shore. I finally got the tent out of the water and into its dry bag and by that time I only had about 5 foot of rock shore left before the water reached the sand embankment. I threw it in the raft and off we went. Now this was the first time I had had the chance to take the flash light out from between my teeth, man what a deal and it was not over yet. It was the weirdest feeling drifting away from a place that just ten minutes ago you were sleeping in and now it is more than a foot under water. And I was very thankful I was in that raft! In real time I’m going to say from the time I woke up until pushed off the rock bar maybe 10 minutes had elapsed. It seemed like much longer, Much Much LONGER!!!!

I came across a rock bar about a half a mile down steam and pulled over to get some dry clothes on and regroup a little I broke the cote down deflated the sleeping pad, rolled up my wet sleeping bag and pillow and put them in the bag with the soaking wet tent. Got me a cold diet Pepsi and thought man, what a way to wake up. All and all I lost is my cool $50 headlamp and a towel. The tent poles got warped a little but now the tent has a little character

I have always lived by the Boy Scott Motto, “Always be prepared”. Well if I had really listened to myself earlier that day I would have been high and dry. I already knew the place I was in could be compromised, that’s why I made all the preparations with the raft and the boots and packing. And had I not done these things I most defiantly would have lost more gear and maybe the raft.

Never under estimate mother nature especially running water! I was very lucky to get out of this situation without further incident.

I had originally planned to make this a 2 night trip so the outfitter was not going to bring my truck down to Carver until late Saturday night. I called Jesse at Buffalo River Canoes and he had my truck there in no time at all. A BIG BIG THANKS to Jesse and the entire crew at BRC.

Life is all about making decisions and had I made the choice to set my tent up higher off the water none of this would have happened. That is were I did not live by the motto and had I done so I would be telling a much different story. After floating on down to Carver and seeing the debris going down the river I realized how easy it would have been for something to snag the raft and pull it the tent and ME down the river and into the strainer of trees below. That would have been a story I would not have wanted to star in. It wouldn’t be Gray Bluff anymore it would be Dumb a** Raftdog Rock Bar! Everybody get their laugh on about this but learn from it and be more careful than I. Fish and Ryan I guess this solidifies my position in TEAM STUPID! Oh and one more thing it is very dangerous to float, camp or hike by yourself. It is very peaceful but not very safe.

Well that’s my Stupid Story I hope you enjoyed but all BS put aside I was very lucky don’t let this happen to you always camp well above the water line.

Row it like you stole It!!
Allen

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Dam , he would of loved our last trip. :lol:

All Joking aside , I do have to agree with him about camping above the water line. I think the best thing about camping in a hammock is that you are up in the trees , away from the water line ... in most cases. Anyway , no matter you are not in the main flow.

SOooooooooooo If your butt is getting wet then you know you are in some deep DO..DO. Since you are up off the river , in the trees which are always higher then any sand or gravel bar , plus you are even more in the air up off the ground , normally a chairs seat height or more. If your butt is wet then it is time to forget about the gear , since all of it is down river , except for your hammock and it can be replaced later on.... Bail out and hit the higher ground , save your skin forget the gear.

The more I am reading about the Buffalo River there in Arkansas the more I am sure that one trip was the 1st , the only and the last for me. :wink:

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Mister High Sheriff,

I never paddled the stretch in that last report. It iz farther downriver. I figger heavy rains 'n a sudden rize likely happens bigger 'n faster upriver on the Buffalo ('n most moutain rivers)....with all the big bluffs. Now what if Pups had been in the tent with ya on the Brazos? This fella come danged close ta rollin' on the river with hiz best pal, in the dark, inside a giant tent with a cot 'n all hiz gear.

I dont even wanna do that with Tina Turner.

regards
bearridge

Charlie Allnut: How'd you like it?

Rose Sayer: Like it?

Charlie Allnut: White water rapids!

Rose Sayer: I never dreamed...

Charlie Allnut: I don't blame you for being scared - not one bit. Nobody with good sense ain't scared of white water...

Rose Sayer: I never dreamed that any mere physical experience could be so stimulating!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
From my understanding the pup had more brains then the guy camping , the pup ( Coochie! ) was up on the dry ground whenthe camper swam out of his tent. Dog's aint stupid.
" I threw everything in the tent into the raft the cot was still setup, sleeping pad blown up, and of course Coochie!! She kept looking at me like what the hell are you doing as she stood on the dry gravel bar just a few feet away."

Like I always say , the pups have more common sence then any camper.

If ole pups was with me on the Brazos trip , there would not of been any problems , he would of made me hit the high ground right after chewing his way into Ron's tent and biting him in the butt joint. Now if he felt like a gentelman he would of Just pissed on him causing a lot of problems for me with such a great guy to be out camping with. Guess that is why I left pups at home.

I hate to have him have a taste of a Texan ( He might come after me next ) , the cholesterol might of killed him , or the Margarettes which I am sure he would of loved. Not even thinking anything about that Frito Pie and later those sausages Ron did ... ole Pups would of cleaned that grill off before Ron , Darrell , You or I could of said ....Aw Chitt. He does love his chow and that was something he does really enjoy. Heck with chow like that he might of pissed on me and just moved in with Ron.

I would wake him up but he is doing his Kayak Jack impersonation right now before I get the shrimp cooking for supper.... Can you hear the snoring. :lol:
Yep he was watching me ( really close ) while I was cleaning them so he is saving all of his energy for supper , as soon as those shrimps hit the skillet he will be Johnny on the spot.... He has already eyeballed the fresh cornbread and beans to go with the shrimps. :wink:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
That fellow, Allen, was really pretty candid with his story. We all know, and so did he, and yet we all "poo poo" some safety considerations from time to time, and so did he. I never thought of tying a boat to a tent.

I have to second his statement that canoing alone may be peaceful, but it's dangerous. I believe in the buddy system, of course, we all do. Yet....

Fortunately, he lived to tell the tale. And, it sounds like he didn't quite get to the point of needing to alert the cavalry with an EPIRB or a PLB. I keep hoping that mine's a total waste and never needed piece of gear.