BWCA May 2005 | SouthernPaddler.com

BWCA May 2005

Pirogue

The plans for the trip started about a year ago. I believe it was around a campfire while on a trip down the Peace River. Originally, there were four of us to go. However, after the year was up and commitments were to be made, only the group leader: Kevin Jahn and I were able to take the trip. Our destination was a remote area, not often traveled. Until I met Kevin, I had never given this area any consideration. Regardless, we were soon to join ranks with the Voyageurs, fur traders, Ojibwa, and the Chippewa in a beautiful land located in Northern Minnesota known as the Boundary Waters Canoe Wilderness Area (BWCWA).

It is now Friday, May 13 and Kevin and I arrive at the Wilderness Outfitters to pick up our 17ft Alumicraft canoe, and food pack. We discuss our itinerary with the outfitter while the television has Weather Channel giving the 5- day outlook for Ely, Minnesota. Tomorrow morning we will be off for eight days in the wilderness.

Saturday morning and we launch our canoe at the Chainsaw Sisters Saloon. The weather today is overcast, drizzly, and a bit windy. Our first lake is Mudro. Once we paddle out of the small creek leaving from the saloon and view the lake in front of us, reality sets in. We are leaving behind everything. The only materials we will have to sustain us are in the canoe. Nevertheless, the gear has been checked, rechecked, if anything was deemed suspect it was replaced, and we feel like we are prepared.

Our first day consisted of paddling across lakes Mudro, Sandpit, and Tin Can Mike. Our plan is to spend our first night on Horse Lake. In between these lakes, the canoe and gear must be portaged. Our first portage of the day is between Mudro and Sandpit Lakes. I found a portage database online and this particular portage is commonly called the goat trail. The goat trail is 84rods (1,386ft) in length and has a vertical rise and fall of approximately 120ft. Considering Kevin and I each have a backpack, there is a food pack and a canoe to portage; we must walk this trail three times. 252 rods (4,158ft). Kevin and I have been in the woods for only a couple hours and have already walked over three quarters of a mile. We will repeat this process for the portages through out the trip for a total of 3,819 rods, or 63,013 feet, or 12 miles.

But it is the end of day one, camp is set, and we are both exhausted. So after a quick meal of backpackers chili (read: gassy stuff) we retire to our respective tents for the evening.

Day 2 and I am awakened by Kevin yelling, “Hey Tom! It’s snowing!â€Â

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Pirogue,

Anuther swell tale. I wuz rite there with ya. It must be tough paddlin' way out close ta nowhere without Swampy, oldyaker, Commodore, Ray, Mac, the High Sheriff, Joe, Dapper Al, Van 'n some other paddlin' geezers. I dont know if I coulda done it.

regards,

bearridge
paddlin' geezer

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools. Herbert Spencer

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Pirogue, you have entered the greatest of all paddles... a paddle in the wilderness with a friend!

We never grow up do we? The dark can at times haunt the mightiest of us. Relying on your own takes more than a credit card and a cell phone.

Your report brings that out grand. Now I know ya want to plan a wilderness trip in Canada!

God's grand creation is sometimes taken for granted .... but never by anyone who is out there among His creations..

swampy

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Tom

As you said ... Now those reports you read, before going on this trip, have a new meaning woven into the fabric of them and what the paddler was trying to tell you but a person has to experience for themselves.

There are no roads, no grocery stores, no cell phones and to use a double negative ... No Nothing .... Except what you have with you while getting there and back which is totally depended upon you, your canoe and the paddle.

Chuck.

Pirogue

Kayak Jack said:
Tom,

Welcome to the world of Canadian Shield Country. Awesome, ehh?

Absolutely awesome. The feelings I experienced could not be put down in words. When laying in my tent with my ear to the floor, you can hear the water resonate thru the granite. Popping, dripping etc.

One really weird experience was at night. I always felt I could hear things off in the distance as in music or drumming. It is very hard to explain to you guys. I thought of the draft of your story you posted. It felt as though there was something out there.

I want to go back because I feel like there was a lot I missed.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Pirogue said:
... When laying in my tent with my ear to the floor, you can hear the water resonate thru the granite. Popping, dripping etc.

One really weird experience was at night. I always felt I could hear things off in the distance as in music or drumming. It is very hard to explain to you guys. I thought of the draft of your story you posted. It felt as though there was something out there...
Partridge drumming will get to you. Starting to receive and send on "primitive senses" will too.

Parallel universes may be an explanation. Time, is Nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Swampy,

The first link requires membership. That wuz why I give ya the second one. This iz a fine tale ya'll jest gotta read. Did ya try the second link? If ya did 'n it dont work, hell....jest join up.

It is a group of Ozark newspapers, including the one Dan sends us bout that fella paddlin' the Canuck Peace River.

regards,
bearridge
bodine school fer computin' nerds

When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty'. Theodore Roosevelt

Birddog

Jun 17, 2005
MN.
www.catch-n.com
Great report Pirogue. I can tell that you are hooked on the BWCA now.
I am heading up there in about a month. I am looking forward to it. I have been there several times to different areas over the years. I will be sure to report back.

Birddog

4sons

Apr 5, 2005
Great Report. Go ahead and post the rest of the trip. I have been to the BWCAW\Quetico park twice. Once in 2000 and then again in '02. I'll try to post the report from the '02 trip.

I know about the funk you talked about. I call it the 2nd day blues. Seems the the second full day that I'm away from my family it hits me. After that I'm fine. Trips like that are good for you. It makes you appreciate what you left at home and also gives you time to reflect and think about the direction you are headed or want to head.

Reading your trip report makes me want to get my maps out and plan another trip.

4sons

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
4sons said:
I know about the funk you talked about. I call it the 2nd day blues. Seems the the second full day that I'm away from my family it hits me. After that I'm fine.

4sons

OK, I am doing something wrong....... The girls are out of the house (but still hit dad up for cash at times) I enjoy the quiet time away from the wife along with her sci-fi shows and the tele-a-vanglists she likes to watch on the boob tube. Don't miss that at all and in fact really enjoy the time away from all of it.

What I do really miss is my best buddy and his begging for a milk bone, or to go out and chase some squirrels or to bark at the kids going and coming from there school letting them know that is his road and not theirs. Chain link fences are good things.

Heck I don't come alive till after the 1st 20 minutes driving down the road knowing I am going camping and paddling with a bunch of nut's and the thought sinks in my skull.

Chuck.
PS ... Guess this is what happens when you have been married (to the same person) for 98 years , OK .... not that long but at times the 40 years sure seams like it. :lol: