Campfire Chatter .... Camping Bo-Bo's | SouthernPaddler.com

Campfire Chatter .... Camping Bo-Bo's

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Camping Bo-Bo's.......

Let me kick this one off.......

One on myself ( I never goof up) :roll: After supper we had some good camping coffee and I grabbed the shaker with the Parmesan cheese in it thinking it was sugar. It was not that bad since I don't like a lot of sugar but the Parmesan did add a good flavor to the coffee.

One person ( name withheld to protect the guilty ) went to brush there teeth and grabbed a tube of Preparation H in place of his toothpaste. Put some on his toothbrush tooth and started scrubbing away near us.:oops: I can't say on here what that person was saying. Main reason is that all of us were laughing to hard to hear much of anything.

Now don't tell me you or someone with you has not made a personal mistake out there camping.:wink:

Chuckles Ya All.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
One night it was so dark you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. I got up to relieve myself and unknowingly filled one of Jacks hiking boots. :roll:

Chuck, Remember when accidently I caught the Coleman stove on fire and melted Swampy's high dollar tarp? :lol: Said it had been in his family since the Battle of Vicksburg. :lol: :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker said:
Chuck, Remember when accidently I caught the Coleman stove on fire and melted Swampy's high dollar tarp? :lol: Said it had been in his family since the Battle of Vicksburg. :lol: :lol:

I sure do .. the Edisto River and I woke up thinking the woods was on fire. I actually remember that the Coleman was all flames and we did save some of the tarp. Next time I'm camping about 100 feet from his stove if you are going to light it before any reasonable person is even thinking of getting out of the sack.

It sure did brighten up that morning. :lol:

Chuck.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Me and couple of buddies were on a float camp fish trip one year. After catching several nice fish we made camp and decided we would have those fish for supper. I got to looking around the campsite and started to find several Morel mushrooms actually a lot of them so we fried fish and mushrooms for supper about 5 skillets of each. Of course we had many beers that night too. The next morning I got up some earlier than the rest and decided I'd look for more Morels. Well I was finding some It happen I thought I needed to pass a little gas. To my surprise it wasn't gas right down both legs, jelloie kinda stuff. Well not having brought extra much clothing I decided to just strip done and wash my draws and pants out in the river while I cleaned myself up. In the mean time Larry had gotten up and decided he would look for more mushrooms too. As I was washing up I heard Larry laughing and asking what in the world are you doing. I was caught. No use making up a story I proceeded to tell him what I'd done to myself and why I was in the cold water washing up. He said I heard all that splashin going on and thought there was a beaver or something down there. I still get kidded about that day at least 3 or 4 times a year.

Moral of the story There is nothing funny about shitting your pants unless you tell somebody, then at least it's funny for them.
Paul

TheOtherHank

Jan 27, 2007
Pacifica, CA
Back in my guiding days I was on a overnight trip. By the time setting up camp, making dinner, cleaning up after dinner, etc was done it was dark. This being a trip in Northern California in July, there was no chance it was going to rain so I threw my tarp down on a flat spot, unrolled my sleeping bag on it, crawled in and went to sleep.

A few hours later I started having the most terrible dream. In my dream, every few minutes some mysterious person would pinch me really hard. I had no idea why this person was pinching me and the anticipation of waiting for the next pinch made for some quite restless sleep. After about 20 pinches I woke up sufficiently to realize that it wasn't a dream. I really was being pinched. I had spread my bed out on top of an ant hill and they really wanted me to leave.

- Hank

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
If yer in the hospital, dont eat any of that Kentucky Jelly. It spreads good, but dont taste worth a dang. Folks in Kentucky must not care what they eat. :wink:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
seedtick said:
yea and don't buy chewing gum in the restrooms of those truck stopsit cost a quarter and tastes funny

Yep! But the damn stuff lasts forever! :?

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Cooking Fish

One time on a float camp fish trip with my old buddy Jack we made camp and found out he had forgotten to pack a skillet for the fish fry. He comes up with the idea that he can cook them on a flat limestone rock. He placed that flat rock on the fire and proceeded to cook. As hungry as I was I thought this is better than not eating so I watched interestedly. Man they were looking good I would tell him Jack those are ready to eat lets have some. He keep saying just a few minutes more. Two or three times this went on. Finally he says there ready and just as the spatula touches the first one that flat rock exploded into about twenty pieces launching fish to who knows where. fortunantly no one was hit by the shrapnel but I did get hit with a bite of fish in the chest only piece of fish that was eaten that night.

dawallace45

Most of my stuff ups generally revolve around eating or drinking some thing that makes me sick as a dog but one trip stands out as a monument to my stupidity ,

On the last day of a week long deer and pig hunting trip I gave the property owner a hand to pick up 40 steel temporary yard panels he'd been using as a cattle trap around a water hole , we had to carry them 100 metres out to the truck and they were heavy , we got them out fine but just as I was about to get up into the truck to leave I managed to knock my sunglasses off as the door swung open , I bent down to pick them up and my back went out big time ,

So there I was a heap on the ground and not able to stand , the property owner had to help me climb up into the truck as I'd never have made it by my self , the 20 miles along that rough bush track was extremely painful ,

Now this is where the stuff up comes in , now I have a bad back and know it , I know it's likely to go out bad at any time and I tend to count my self lucky if it only does it once a week , I've been putting it out regularly since I was 15 but it's gotten much worse in the last 8 years , the stupid thing I did was say " No , I'll be right , just drop me off at my camp " when he offered to take me into town to the ambulance or at the least have me stay in the spare bed at the homestead and get the ambulance out to me

So he dropped me off at my camp , helped me into my hammock and filled a empty soda water bottle with dry white wine from cooler in the car , now the white wine allowed me to get a little sleep for about three hours but then I woke up and needed to have a pee ,

Now laying in a hammock when your back is out isn't too bad but getting out of it is some thing else all together , so eventually I managed to fall out flat on my face and pass out , when I come too I still needed to pee only worse , so I had to do it laying on my side and then roll a half turn away from it so I wasn't laying in it , after a few hours I was able to get up enough to half stand , if I tried to stand fully it pressed on a nerve and I went paralysed from the waist down and hit the ground again ,
I cut the ropes on the hammock and shoved it into the ute , that was the only gear I had out so that was easy , I was able to get into the ute and drive very slowly and careful but having to get out and open and shut the three gates between my camp and the road was painful and slow , I was lucky in that for the 250 km home all but 10 km of it was on back roads so I was able to drive very slowly , got back into town that afternoon and went straight to the doctors ,

Doc wanted to put me straight into hospital but there wasn't a bed spare so he then wanted to send me to Emerald by ambulance but the ambulances were out on a bad smash 200 km up the charters tower road so I convinced him to let me go home and he gave me some muscle relaxants and pain killers that just knocked me out , he reckoned that if I was unconscious then I wouldn't be able to do any thing else silly , that was probably about the worst I've ever put my back out , was pretty much off my feet for a month and then put my back out almost as bad several times over the next few months

Doc reckoned that if I'd let the property owner take me into the ambulance or call the ambulance for me I'd probably have been back on my feet in a week and that doing it my way resulted in me doing even more permanent damage than I had before

David