Campfire Chatter ...... Stoves. | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Campfire Chatter ...... Stoves.

Manjimike

Jun 18, 2007
Manjimup, West Australia
Kayak Jack said:
Mike, every twig stove needs more holes for better air ventilation.
what, if anything, do you do about creosote on pan bottoms?

Jack,
I put quite a few holes in mine for that reason.
If the black comes of with a scotchbrite in cold water, that is good, if not it wont come of in my pack :D

Cheers Mike

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The soot is inside the stuff sack for the gear and the creosote is not in the stove since I don't burn Rail Road ties. :roll:

A quick swipe with a wet paper towel take a lot of the loose soot off the pots before you repack them and move on down river. Plus some soot on the pots helps to heat them up since black absorbs heat and shiny metal tends to deflect it.

Chuck.
PS. Soot is a campers friend. :roll:

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I thought camping pots and coffee pots were supposed to be black on the outside, well dang you mean I have to clean them.
Ron
NEW TECNOLOGY
Texas ingenuity found a way to clean them , just tie a 10 foot rope on the pot use it as a drag anchor for a few miles the sand and rock will have it shinning like new, nothing to it fellows

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Anybody here use the little Coleman duel fuel jobbie?

I found one in a local camping & outdoor place that looks promising. Run unleaded petrol or Coleman fuel (what-ever that is)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
hairymick said:
Anybody here use the little Coleman duel fuel jobbie?

I found one in a local camping & outdoor place that looks promising. Run unleaded petrol or Coleman fuel (what-ever that is)

That is what we call White Gas , same thing as Coleman but the Coleman will last a lot longer without turning into varnish in the stove. The Coleman is a lot better grade of White Gas , cost more also.

I had a Multi Fuel Coleman , single burner which after a lot of years finally went into retirement. Now for solo trips it is the Zip Stove ... no gas just the everyday things a person would burn ... like wood , charcoal and other natural stuff. No need to carry the explosive stuff ( extra weight) with me ,pick up what I need along the route or in camp.

Chuck.

Manjimike

Jun 18, 2007
Manjimup, West Australia
Mick, HOW can you afford ULP to fill the stove :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually I bought one for hiking when I lived in Mackay (2001), but got rid of it because -
it was too heavy and too large for my 45l backpack:
I could not get it to simmer:
There was always a hassle with leaking fuel bottles.

I would take the gas canister stove any day :D

Cheers Mike

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Mick,

I've used Coleman single burner stoves for over 45 years. About 15 years ago I converted from the old style to the newer Dual Fuels. NEVER burn anything in it but Coleman fuel or refined white gas. Automotive fuel will plug the generator quickly. Use it in emergency only.

In the last 7-8 years I've had more difficulties with the stoves than ever before. The foot valve on the bottom of the pump will once in a while leak, spurting raw fuel out of the air hole. UNSAFE in the extreme. It has to be replaced

Generators now are made more cheaply than ever before, and last only a short time. Expensive. Leathers on the pump are no longer leather, so they last only a season or two instead of 10-15 years.

It pains me to send this report. I've always counted on Coleman; they were dependable in the extreme. Work in any weather, at any temperature, and at any elevation. Now, I no longer have that deep trust for them.

I now use the LittlBug stove http://www.littlbug.com/stories.html It is simple, lightweight, and works. No moving parts.

There are many twig stoves out there. All pretty similar. A tall tin can (#3=1 qt, #10=3 qt) can be made into a nice twig stove in about 10 minutes with a pair of tin snips. Make a new one every year.

I have a small, hand-held fan that runs off 2 each AA batteries. Can as easily use a blow tube as described in some of the twig stoves. Zip stove has its own fan.

Nimble Will take apart stove is nice, but I would make it with a smaller footprint and taller sides for better draft. Manji Mike likes it very much the way it is.

You can also dig a small, conical hole with a small trench for air feed off to the upwind side. Blocking-opening this opening can offer control of draft.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack..

I see you have converted over to something you can bet supper on since Coleman is taking short cuts whit there products.

Not knocking Coleman , I have two double burner stoves for group camping , one almost 50 years old or at that age and a new one about 20 years old , both work like champs.

The new single burner ones I got have not lasted. On one trip with an person he had a new Coleman duel fuel single burner and all it wanted to do was to go up in flames. Later my multi fuel one wanted to do the same , since I hate explosions (especially ones next to me ) it got retired and tossed.

All of the above ones I mentioned are gas burners not the propane ones.

The propane ones are really nice and efficient plus quick to light off. On one trip a person was using one of them and he disconnected the bottle from the stove , the next morning he put it back together and ..... nothing. All the gas leaked out during the night due to a sticky valve in the top of the gas container. It was full when 1st hooked up. :roll:

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
I have just received my Sierra Zip Stove from Wisemans and tried it in the back yard. half a dozen pine cones and two mugs of boiling water in about 4 minutes or so. LOVERLY. 8)

I bloody Love this stove!

Can't wait to go for a paddle and give the little beauty a proper work out. :D (maybe tomorrow) :p

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick ...

That's the beauty of the Zip Stove , all you need is it and a spare battery ( still using the one I had in it but do take a spare) , pick up the fuel around camp and enjoy a hot meal. No need to take a can of gas along with you.

Swampy got me hooked on them , one camping trip he did his coffee on it (actually the coffee for all of us ) baked some bread , made a double layer chocolate cake for my birthday , that evening and even used it as a hand warmer in the morning. It does make a great little campfire . :lol:

Chuck.

Lee Schneidermann

Dec 6, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I'm pretty much sold on having a stove along for making the necessities of camping(like coffee), but cooking over the fire has a certain appeal to me when I'm going solo.
Never thought about packing a wood stove, (but being the hillbilly vagrant I am), I think a #10 can and a church key would make a respectable wood burner for cookin on.

Lee

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
I hear you Lee. Allways felt pretty much the same as you, re a wood fire. I love them but our national parks mob have just about banned open wood fires in all their camping areas now.

Too many knuckleheads pulling down green trees etc and pretty much destroying the place i guess.

The little zip stove is an ideal compromise. It acts like a small forge and when going properly, burns darn near as hot as LPG or propane and no gas bottle to carry. The only draw back to it that I can find is the fire box being so small and the fire burning sooo effeciently, ya gotta keep replennishing the fuel every few minutes.

Aussies, call the little pot that comes with the stove a "billy" not real sure why. If you are ever in the bush with a billy, do your self a favour,

Fill it with water and bring to the boil. Remove from the fire and throw in a hand full of tea leaves. Put back on the fire and bring it back to the boil and stir with a stick (most important) :D

When the tea is strong enough for your liking, pour into a enamal or tin cup (panakin) :D and add liberal amounts of sugar.

That, my friend, is billy tea. an Aussie icon and is the real deal mate. Leave the tea bags at home. Get a pack of real tea mate. Drink it hot, strong, black and sweet. 8) Best thing since sliced bread.. :D

islandpiper

hairymick said:
That, my friend, is billy tea. an Aussie icon and is the real deal mate. Leave the tea bags at home. Get a pack of real tea mate. Drink it hot, strong, black and sweet. 8) Best thing since sliced bread.. :D

Mick, with all due respect, didn't you mean SLICED DAMPER?

:eek:

I fully agree, the plain old tin can has been overlooked these last thirty years or so. When I was younger and leading pack trips in the Catskills, the No. 10 can was a mobile kitchen, and we got a new one every week!!

Piper

Lee Schneidermann

Dec 6, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
hairymick said:

Thanks Mick,
Next time I'm out I'll get the "scuff kit" out and give it a try.

Lee

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I'm with Mick.... The Zip Stove is something to use and have , there pot and frying pan is part of the outfit but the pot (Billy) is something else. If you do not have one then you have no idea of what I am telling you. :roll:

It is a matched outfit and works wonders for someone solo camping. Get what you need from the area you are camping in and if you want , Zip Lock some fuel ,sticks, for the next meal if it is raining or looks like rain as you paddle along or walk around the camp. If you forget to then just pick the air dried , dead , stuff off branches in the rain , the Zip will burn them.

The Zip stove on high is 13,000 btu's ,( The gas ones are about half of that at full blast ) on low a lot better for cooking and if you want to simmer then shut off the fan when the fire is going and you have a good draft of air working for you , just like cooking over a small campfire. This fire is self contained and you do not have to split the wood with an axe for it. :lol:

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I reckon I oughta git back ta pollin' agin. A heap a folks on here got a Zip Stove 'n so far ever dang one of 'em loves 'em.....but nobody bent a horseshoe with one yet. :lol: :lol: :lol: