Campfire Chatter ...... Stoves. | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Campfire Chatter ...... Stoves.

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
Horse shoes come in about eight sizes. and they SHOULD be fitted to the hoof
However, there is a style of horse shoeing called "cowboy shoeing". It's an awful method. A size of shoe was selected to fit outside the white line, the shoe was nailed on, and the hoof rasped off to fit the shoe.
This method is NOT good for the horse! This style has not died out yet, but it's on it's way out.
Most of the time, shoes are shaped cold, unless shaping a shoe for a specific problem. Forging, changing the gait of the horse, or some malady of the hoof.
Odd shoes are fairly common. Draft horses need shoes, burros need shoes, and oxen need shoes. By the way, busy bulls also need oxen shoes. But only on the hind feet. their hind feet get sore during a busy breeding season.
Most of these shoes need to be hand made. These are done hot.
Mules, burros and donkeys, have different shaped hoof. Most of the time, a regular horseshoe can be bent to the shape needed.
90% of the time, mules, donkeys and burros are shod on their rear feet only. Even shoeing half of their feet, is a whole job. They do NOT like their feet to be handled! Often the farrier must cause pain, by twisting their upper lip, or by biting their ears, to get their mind off their feet.(They really don't like their ears to be handled either!)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
I reckon I oughta git back ta pollin' agin. A heap a folks on here got a Zip Stove 'n so far ever dang one of 'em loves 'em.....but nobody bent a horseshoe with one yet. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guy's what Bear was talking about is horseshoe soup with Zantarians in it , he will eat anything out camping , even MRE's , You know the ... Meals Rejected by Everyone. :roll:

Don't let Bear fool ya , He even has a Zip Stove , still in the box ... but he has one.

On the serious side for a minute .. :shock: .. The stainless pot/billy they have for the stove , you can put the stove in it with the base attached for a nice compact unit when in the stuff sack.

Chuck.
PS. I have some MRE's on trips , I use them as ballast in the boat. :lol:

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
:D 8) :p
004640x480-1.jpg

001-7.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I never shoed a horse, but I recall seein' someone heat a shoe 'n beat on it some before the shoe wuz nailed onta the hoof. The horse didnt seem ta mind. I wuz bout 5 'er 6 'n recallin' stuff that far back iz a struggle that dont always lead ta the whole truth 'n nuthin' but the truth. I recall clippin' hooves with some giant iron toenail clippers. My Dad give me a Navy ass chewin' once fer not doin' that more often. The hoof had begun ta split cuz it had got so long.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick....

I have the extender for the top ( Anyway that is what I call it ) , those two little pieces that fit together and sit over the top of the stove. They are great , they let a lot of the smoke miss the pot and make putting larger chunks ( Longer ones ) in the fire pit a lot easier.
You don't have to feed the fire so often with them , since they burn down as things progress.

Start with the small chunks then graduate up to the thicker and longer ones as the stove burns them. When things are going good and you want to simmer something , shut off the fan and let the draft in the stove do the rest for you. Hot air rises ... ya know .... AW... Forget that , you have never had the pleasure of camping with Kayak Jack but he is the perfect example of that principle and a ton of fun to be with. :lol:

Jack can make 100 degree temps drop to 80 when he gets wound up since hot air rises and cool air comes replaces it. Just don't camp with him in the winter ....... BURRRRrrrrrrrrrrr. :roll:

I'm in deep chit now.......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Lee,

I got a ring that fits on the top of my Zip stove. It makes it harder fer the pot ta slide off 'n makes it eazier ta add some longer sticks.

regards
bearridge

English Bob: Well, actually, what I heard was that you fell off your horse, drunk of course, and that you broke your bloody neck.
Little Bill Daggett: I heard that one myself, Bob. Hell, I even thought I was dead 'til I found out it was just that I was in Nebraska.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Re: Question about the zip

Lee Schneidermann said:
OK Fellas,
I'm lookin at Mick's picture and I'm wonderin if you remove the cook pot (billy) to add fuel to the "zip"??

Lee

If he had the pot extender then the pot would be almost 2 inches above the stove which makes it really easy to add more wood.

It is nothing more then two straight pieces of metal that fit together to make a X for the pot to rest on. The corners of it are notched out so it rests on the top of the stove without moving around. It is part of what they call the upgrade kit.

IT6_CWINDOWSDesktopZZZZsra_b17_t.jpg

Chuck.

Lee Schneidermann

Dec 6, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Ok then,
I guess I'll have to hillbilly something together that includes the fan. I'm going to have the wiz kids in our IT department at the college scrounge a fan up out of an old computer.
Everything else about the zip looks pretty straight forward. Sealed burn chamber with blow holes for the O2 intakes.
It'll be a fun winter project. I'll try and post some piccies when completed.

Lee