Cania Gorge - Road and paddling trip. | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Cania Gorge - Road and paddling trip.

dawallace45

Cania Gorge is just over the range from me , about a 1 1/2 hours to 1 3/4 hours away , been there many times , one of my favourite places , beautiful place , the walks are great , old gold mining area , many relics from the past , lots of old shafts , good place to hide a body , LOL ,

At the end of the gorge there is Cania dam , used to be very good fishing , was one of the main dams on the Bass to Barra trail , last time I was there the water level was way , way down . Mick how is it now ?

Mick when you get time you must try the Castle mountain walk , did it years ago and just about had to carry Shirley up the last two hours of the walk , it would probably bugger me completely now , I think you need to set aside 8 to 10 hours for it , have heard they changed the route so it's not as steep now , hope so , I'd really like to do it again

David

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Jack,

The Russians make soup with beetroot :shock: They call it borscht, I think. The geuine stuff is bloody beautiful.

G'day Dave, Robin and I are still giving ourselves uppercuts for not having visited this place while we were in Gladstone.

After some of the walks we did recently in very thick rainforest that were obviously steep, some of these climbs LOOKED deceptively mild - till we started up them - and there is no fresh water along the way to replenish our supplies so all had to be carried with us.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Anuther fine vacation. Ya'll must be bout the vacationingist folks I ever heard of. What a treat, but I'm with Truthful Jack on the pineapple 'n beets. Ya gotta put tuna fish on a slice of pineapple inside two slices of bread.....fittin' tucker unless a fella iz all buggered up. [grin]

Ya'll dont give yerownselves no more uppercuts. Jest go back 'n take yer cameras. Did ya'll see any other folks out there? Did ya'll hear any Harley Boys, jet skis, air boats, dynamite lighters, loud music, fellas with giant tires, etc. whilst ya'll wuz on this holiday?

regards
bearridge

ps I like pickled beets myownself 'n pineapple too (with cottage cheese iz my favorite way).

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Bear :D

Yeah mate, we met a lot of others. This place is very popular wth geezers of the retired and caravaning kind. I am not sure what they are called in the US, but here, they are sort of like a small home on wheels and are usually towed behind the family SUV.

No Harley boys or loud buggers 8)

OK, back to my lil story.

Feeding time :shock: lots of birds like these -

cc2b52ce.jpg

live in the area - lorrakeets I think, but I prefer to call them hooligans. Every day around 1700, they descend on the park to get a free feed. Like this,

e93e3bc6.jpg

603566e8.jpg

real shy about, they are too

8d03c724.jpg

Then, there were these guys -

bbe49560.jpg

King Parrots :D

c1e457c3.jpg

This bloke took a real shine to my communist noodles

627e294f.jpg

a4836ac6.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Bear and Jack,

I wont bore everybody to death with lots of bird shots but the rosellas and king parrots are just two kinds of parrot that live in the area. Others are the cockatoo,

b42ddc15.jpg

and the galah

3b34e7ff.jpg

but these guys can and do bite. While they frequent the park in numbers, all the bird images I post here are of wild birds and no body wants these last two to hurt the little partners who so love to feed them. :D

d0e297d2.jpg

King parrots and their hooligan cousins, Rosellas are much gentler and while very capable of defending themselves, there are few predators here that would bother them much. (excet for feral cats)

After dark, these guys come out to clean up the scraps left by all the birds.

Bettongs 8)

b5cb225e.jpg

Small kangaroo like critters about the size of a rabbit, usually very shy and difficult to photograph - not here 8)

and our marsupial possums

352e841a.jpg

not shy at all and have adapted very well to living side by side with humans.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
The following morning, I woke in the pre dawn chill to go to lake cania to try to get some shots of the sunrise over the lake and escarpment

eda332c2.jpg

But as I set up in the pre dawn light, a heavy fog rolled in down the dam and killed it for me @#^%$

139a9ca2.jpg

so back to the camp ground, thoroughly chilled to the core, only to be greeted by a lovely fire at a camp site. I just had to call in to say "G'day" and ask the blokes there if they minded if I sat by their fire a while and tried to warm up. :D

db422712.jpg

No problem, shortly, a bunch of redneck were sitting round a big fire with steaming coffees, just trying to get warm. It turned out these blokes now work in the same aluminium smelter I used to work at about 2 hours drive from there. They come to this place several times a year to fish, get drunk and let their kids run amuk. Meanwhile all our wives (who must be much smarter than us) were snuggled up in their various beds there, toasty warm. None of them emerged till the last of the frost had gone.

After bidding my goodbyes to my new mates, went home to my cabin to plan the days walking. All day we walked many miles over hard country and pretty uninteresting trails that eventually would lead to some lookout or other towards the top of an escarpment something like this,

6103d59b.jpg

By the end of that day, both robin and I had well and truly seen enough of this and decided to paddle the next day 8)

but first, the feeding session approached and after that, some wine tasting from a local winery - by another big fire - with the opportunity to purchase any that we liked and to just stay by the fire. 8)

As it turned out, I liked them all :D but in particular, a very rustic, sweet red and Robin promises me that I didn't make TOO big of a fool of myself. :lol:

The following morning, i woke with a cramp in my forehead and a taste in my mouth like one of those bloody parrots had nested in it all night :oops: :lol: Oh man, I just knew this paddle was gonna hurt this day.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Eventually, :oops: We made our way to the dam to the put in.

8c321dc2.jpg

fa76836f.jpg

Cania dam was completed in 1983 and has never been full. At present, it is only at 6% capacity but it has been stocked with Aussie bass and saratoga, both prized sport fish and is nationally recognized as one of this countries best impoundment fisheries for these two species. I didn't take any fishing gear *&^%$.

It seems one of the geezer regular fishermen there was catching and releasing up to 40 bass a day - unbelievable %^$&^%. I haven't caught 40 bass this year.$#@&^%

As we paddled up the dam, the dramatic scenery and desert like escarpments on either side just took my breath away. Again, the following images don't come close to doing it justice.

572ac434.jpg

e0bbdbb1.jpg

4fa01131.jpg

till all too soon, we came to the top of the dam, (only about 4 miles)

6fdd497e.jpg

where we stopped for a cuppa

a70d480c.jpg

80cfbeb4.jpg

and headed back.

While we were paddling along the weed beds on either side of the dam, very big saratoga were often startled and smashed into the side of our boats in their fright and effort to get away.

The wildlife along the banks here was astonishing with many thousands of our wood - ducks lining the banks. These birds are very good to eat but are permanently protected in this state now and even those very few who have retained some of their firearms legally are unable to hunt them.

1ac7400b.jpg

e4b0e8c0.jpg

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Mick,

You posted a picture of a possum, which looks nothing at all like what we call a possum in the states. Ours look like giant rats with bad haircuts, so doggone ugly they are cute. I'll have to find a photo of one.

Our possums are marsupials, they do carry their young in pouches, but are a totally different animal than yours.

George

ps - this should link to a picture on Wiki. If it works, you will see an unusually attractive American possum.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/27/Opossum_2.jpg/730px-Opossum_2.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Mick, I appreciate pictures like yours. I'm an official kamera klutz, but do like pictures.

Many similarities, and many differences to and from where I've paddled. Earth is such a DAMNABLY interesting a place to explore.

"This summer, I'm going around the world. Next summer, I'll go somewhere else."

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Nah Bob, that was just my rain coat, trying to keep my camera dry from all the darn fog.

and thank you, I'm glad you are liking my little story, truth e told, I am really enjoying telling it. :D I tried to do some more today at my w&^%k but other things kept getting in the way. (seems the grand poobahs in my outfit might be enjoying it too) :lol: :p :p

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Just sqeezed 4 more days out of em 8)

Going fishing this Thursday

Jack and George,

thanks guys, off to bed now - very tired now. Will try to finish my little tale tomorow or the next day.

Robin and I were at Cania for 4 days, In total, we took over a thousand photogrphs each. Many of them are crap and many are just happy snaps but were both blown away by this place - and the people we met there. We made several new friends and it was just so refreshing to meet so many nice people after those we deal with at work every day.

There is just so much to tell about this remarkable place - its history, pioneers and the people who choose to live there now that this thread could be like a sort of never ending story but I am trying to convey a "feel" for Cania through Robin's and my eyes and lenses. We are both suffering sensory overload and as i wade through our images, the overload just gets more profound.

As Dave has mentioned, there was gold in those hills. We visited one of the old mines and we were both humbled by the obvious hardships endured there. We drove there in a car, over bitumen road then simpley walked up the hill carrying nothing heavier than our SLRs and were exhausted when we got there. These blokes (and their women and kids) carried all they needed to mine in on their backs and for part of the way, horses, lived in some of the harshest country - and thrived till the gold ran out.

We are definately going back there.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick....

I sent a email to the oldest daughter ( LLPrice73 on here ) with a link to this trip report. She is a bird person , volunteers her off time at a Bird Rescue Sanctuary cleaning cages , making friends with all sorts of native (Florida) birds and now is working in the Hospital they have to help the birds recuperate from injuries.

Plus she adopted a Rainbow Laura ( Jimmy Jim , That has the run of her house) just like either of these. Jimmy Jim likes to say ..I'm a big boy Jimmy Jim ... and he likes to whisper when he is not screeching. :lol:

cc2b52ce.jpg

Chuck.