Car Troubles | SouthernPaddler.com

Car Troubles

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I guess it's a VERY good thing that Carol and I went to the Ponchatoula Rendezvous in HER car. About 20 miles after I returned, the overdrive clutch in my 96 Chrysler Town & Country van died. Fortunately, not too far from home. Took it to the car-fixer-type-place today. $2,600!! Holy horse pucker, Hannah! And it's going to be a week or so to get the thing in, and installed.

Chuckie - I need to borrow that spark box of yours that restarts dead hearts. Can you FED-EX it to me for the weekend?

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
:shock: :shock:
$2,600 is utter BS for a bloody clutch.

Pressure plate and clutch plate MIGHT be worth about $100.00, Probably a day to remove the old and replace with the new one.

Just how much are your mechanics being paid mate.??? I amke that to be about $2,500 for about 8 hours work. Bloody hell, I wanna work for that bloke.

To give you an idea, a similar job in a good mechanics shop here would cost arounf $500 - if that much. I need to get a complete gearbox exchange in my Toyota 4 wheel drive. Was quoted $1800.00 and thought that was too dear. Will be doing it myself shortly.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
About 20 miles after I returned, the overdrive clutch in my 96 Chrysler Town & Country van died. Fortunately, not too far from home. Took it to the car-fixer-type-place today. $2,600!! Holy horse pucker, Hannah! And it's going to be a week or so to get the thing in, and installed

Man .. I hope they kissed you on both cheeks , what a deal for them , Christmas in January.
Did you ask them , what one which is not gold plated would cost. :roll:

Chuck.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
That's one of those new fangled motor sit cross ways front wheel drive automatic overdrive jobbers aint it Jack. My sister had one, nothing but trouble with its transmission. It is someone else's problem now.

islandpiper

Boy, Ozark, you aim high.......I was thinking of something like this:

scooter_2.jpg

peddling Piper

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Jack,

I was gonna suggest you get a good car, like a Ford or a Buick or - gasp, even a Toyota :p (F250 springs to mind) :p

Chrysler don't enjoy a good reputation here.

Man, I've wanted a F truck for years and the new ones are just soooo pretty.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
My Chrysler is 12 model years old, 111,000 miles, and has been a pretty good vehicle for me.

Looking, in a couple or three years, to get either another one or a Subaru van with all wheel drive. We'll see.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Mate,

just messing with ya.

My old toyota is a 1989 model. Done about 300,000 miles. Only replaced the motor once, gearbox 3 times, computor and associated electronics twice, suspension once etc ect.

BTW I am only guessing about the mileage. the speedo broke a few years ago. thinkin about taking the windscreen out so i know how fast i am going. :p :lol: