Carp poll revised. | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Carp poll revised.

Carp. (poll question fixed) Is it a Gamefish?

• yes (poor man's bonefish. Challenging and fights hard)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no (its a big goldfish...)

• not sure (never fished for one)

• Total voters

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Chuck, my dad had an auto loader too. But he very seldom went out hunting. He would take it out, but just walk in the woods and "see what he could" and never bring back anything.

I'm not all against auto and multi-shot weapons. They have their place and when used with ethical hunters they fill a slot. But it is the usage where they are emptied that cause an alarm. Duck hunters need them as they must bring down a wounded bird. But even in that envioroment they are over used. My cry is that we all must clean up our tactics if the youth of today and tomorrow have a sporting chance... :wink:

A turkey with bow and arrow.... well that is being sportsman enough! Good fer you!

swampy

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Took our class.

Swampy, Grasshopper and I took a our gun safety class a few consecutive Saturdays ago. We had two full 7-1/2 hour days. At the end of the class we had to take a test in order to get our "Gun Safety Card".
It was a 50 point test. We both passed and got our cards. It is required for Cody to be able to get a hunting license in Illinois and most neighboring states. Not only did they DRILL gun safety into our heads but also everything else pertaining to hunting, bows, guns and gun safety.
I took the class to learn and to spend some time with my son ...something to work on together. You know what he told me after we got our card..and to me it was worth more than anything else I have:
"I LOVE YOU DAD..THANKS FOR TAKING THIS CLASS WITH ME."
KAHUNA

A

Anonymous

Friend Kahuna,

That wuz swell. Safe shootin' with a little pardners caint be beat. Bein' free may depend on it.

respectfully,

bearridge
bodine center fer the constitution study

A lie told often enough becomes the truth. Lenin

A

Anonymous

now now, hang on, I did this when i was a young'n couse we were told carp were bad fish, we figured we were doing every one in this world a favor. I say it was good time, simply becouse it was, we had a lot of fun, the fish fight good and were in large supply in our area. This doesnt mean that i agree with what I did, or that I still do it. I wouldnt go and be a "carp killer" agian, though I wouldnt kill em to eat either. I dont smash carps skulls anymore just to get them out of the water, but it is a true story about what I used to do, i told it and something happened that rarely happens on this forum, I was judged for it. basicaly I simply believe that carp are a crap fish, but that fact doesnt give anyone the right to kill them for sport. If you wanna judge me as a sport killer then talk to the doe's that I have passed up deer hunting, or the 27" northern that I realeased last summer becouse we alread had a cooler full of fish, even though it was the nicest catch of the day. I have come a long way since the age of 11

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Now fellas I'm not going to get in the middle of a piss'n contest because everytime I do I get wet but I'll throw in what I know which ain't much.
When I was a tadpole, my grandad used to take me carp fishing. I liked it but every kid likes catching any fish. Yes we too them back home and I don't know how she did it but Granny cleaned 'em and baked them. Now other than a gazillion bones they was good. Course most folks that know me would say I'd eat a turd if it was garnished with parsley but they is ly'n cause I don't care for parsley.
Now last winter I was watch'n ESPN fishing show on Saturday morning, that one called Walkers Cay Chronicles, I fergit the hosts name but he's got more money than sense and dresses like a yuppie. I think he's some retired investment banker and after he got done making money off his clients he got his own fish'n show and he always fly fishes.
Anyhow, I was watching his show and low and behold he was fly fishing for carp in a bay either in Lake Superior or Michigan, can't recall which one. He was fish'n with some old timer who fished for carp his life and tied special carp flys. The rich fly fisherman host was comparing it to bone fishing in the Fl keys and how beautiful it was up there and how the carp were putt'n up a good fight. It looked interesting.
The way I figure it, any creature in too many numbers ain't good, like the deer herds in my back yard who eat the missus' flowers and helps them self to my garden.
They say every creature has a place in our eco system but I'm still try'n to figure how rats and mice fit into this picture other than the mice feed the owls and hawks fly'n around here.
Anyway, I thought it was interesting how these fellas were gett'n excited fly fishing for carp, I guess it's true, another mans trash is another mans treasure?

A

Anonymous

Friend Justin,

Long time no see. I got a hunerd sez most a these fellas done a heap worse than you when they wuz a little pardner. Well, I know I did. :wink:

See, Kahuna iz tryin' ta rear a kid, which aint eazy in these troublesome times. When yer time comes ta rear one, ya likely gwine ta tell him the same thing Kahuna did. Lord help ya if ya gotta rear gals....like I done.

What become a that fine lookin' canoe ya'll built? Iz the water all froze up there?

regards,

bearridge
bodine college

No one means all he says, and yet very few say all they mean, for words are slippery and thought is viscous. Henry Adams

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Urge to Kill......

Despotic, I'm not judgeing you as an adult, and it was obvious you were just acting upon what you were told was a proper way to do away with carp. He who has not sinned cast the first stone...well..I threw a stone but I had already sinned. :oops: Check out this post I made a while back to a topic called "URGE TO KILL" from back in January of last year.

""Hadn't read any of this until today...never have talked about this even at 48 I feel guilty about it :oops: Back about 35 years ago..yes...35. I got a Crossman 177 pump Pellet/BB Gun for Xmas. It was a cold harsh winter here in the Midwest. I was outside "Playing" Hunter. I was hiding under a Pyracantha bush..you know the one that has the big red juicy berries in the Winter...All at once a large flock of Cedar Waxwings(beautiful birds) started a feeding frezy. Within a foot or two above me. I killed 3 or four of those poor birds at point blank range before they knew it. I remember seeing the bright red blood dripping out of them, steaming from the cold...I killed them/slaughtered those beautiful birds for no reason but for the "fun" of it. I have to tell you. I have NEVER killed another animal after that just for the fun of it. Not even a starling. " KAHUNA

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kahuna

All of us that have been in the outdoors have done stupid things but fortunately as we got older we got wiser and a better understanding of the outdoors and what is correct and what is not.
Even down to the simple things like pinching the barb on a hook , fishing for sport not meat , letting the big ones go so they can make little ones and keeping the smaller ones. (besides they are the only ones I am able to catch)

A friend and I went into a small lake I know and we caught a ton of bass ... when we left each of us had one with us for our supper , the rest were still in the lake , just getting bigger for the next time.

In the old days there would of been a lot more going home with me.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Carp - Yes or No

You guys should read today's Wall Street Journal, 15 Feb 05. Right in the middle of the front page is an article about guys who like to fish for carp. Who'd a thunk it?

I often see the water rile up where carp have broken cover as I paddle through weedy, muddy shallows. But a few years ago, at Rice Lake Ontario, I was surprised to see them in clear water, bedding on gravel and sand. Big hunkers that would have bent a rod right over double. Wouldn't have tasted good, but sure as heck would have fought good.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
What a joke.

"Mudding carp" is carp who are making a nest..... come on.... and that is very close to shore.... guess when it is good time to bow hunt the uglies???

Any stinking bait , just as catfish bait, work on carp. They are not finiky eaters.

swampy

Doghair

Feb 12, 2005
Ohio
Carp Tournaments
There could be some interesting TV programing.
Maybee get Steve Erwin (the croc hunter to host)

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Dog..... ya think SE would do it?

The only way to get a person to host such a carp tournemnment is to pay BIG BUCKS. In fact it would take a lot of big bucks to pay to get entry fees..... :lol:
No these are solo players/(dare I call them fishermen?) :twisted:

I figger that anyone who would fish just for them would do it for the sake of catching anything and perhaps not tell anyone about it....

To tell that there is "excitement" in bringing one in is really stretching it out.... tug - of - war at the best.

My hat off to the fishermen 8)
My hat is placed over the heart for the "carpman".... :(

swampy

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
I give up.....

I give up.... :lol:
KAHUNA
Swampy said:
Dog..... ya think SE would do it?

The only way to get a person to host such a carp tournemnment is to pay BIG BUCKS. In fact it would take a lot of big bucks to pay to get entry fees..... :lol:
No these are solo players/(dare I call them fishermen?) :twisted:

I figger that anyone who would fish just for them would do it for the sake of catching anything and perhaps not tell anyone about it....

To tell that there is "excitement" in bringing one in is really stretching it out.... tug - of - war at the best.

My hat off to the fishermen 8)
My hat is placed over the heart for the "carpman".... :(

swampy

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Mike, ya knowz I iz funn'in ya...

You go ahead and fish them critters... 8)

Maybe one day ya kin win a Ranger XL w/250 horse Merc to git to 'em... :shock:

And I'll jest be here wit mah feet in a pan soakin them... :cry:

But do catch sum cats fer the feast!
swampy