Chuck Style trip completed | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Chuck Style trip completed

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Dang computer lost my last post here we go again
I decided to do a real Chuck trip didn't fish just tried out the boat and
camped . You can see what I had on board the hot air perow in the boat bragging forum to say the least I was impressed with it.
Well like all tripp's you going to hit a couple snags , my blood pressure meds didn't come in so I had to go to drug store and it was going to run me late. so I called one of the guys told him I would be about thirty minutes late<hate being late>.
It worked out when I got to launch point they had most of the boats unloaded and were fixing to start putting them in water and loading there gear.

DSC003281.jpg

HEHEHEHE This is where an old dog teaches some pups a thing or to. I had built a bed extender so I didn't have to lift the boat so high.

IM001587-1.jpg

IM001588-1.jpg

I took the rope from the front of the boat tied a loop in it dropped it over the peg on the back off the bed extender unstrapped the boat backed down the boat ramp shoved the boat it rolled of off bed extender in to the water as I pulled up the rope pulled the nose up on the ramp I got out dropped the rope and parked the truck all my gear was loaded in the yak that morning at the house so in less than a minute I was in the water loaded ready to go. They were still carrying gear down the bank I love it when a plan goes together.
The group was from 11 years old to myself at 61, three wooden boats
a triple a tandem and a bunch of solos and one Wenonah solo 13ft 8 inches.
Down the river we went
100607_131.jpg

100607_111.jpg

In about an hour we were there

100_41621.jpg

This plane came right over us flying down the river less than 50 ft high several times
I set camp up cooked sleep ed and relaxed I think I gained ten lbs
The only thing I need is a different cot everything else was great.
They fished caught some kitty's
DSC003301.jpg

A few were fishing for gator gar this one weighed about 70 lbs

DSC003381.jpg

We just needed one more day. A few paddled out about ten but a couple guys wanted to stay longer so we waited till about one then headed in . Had a great trip boat and camping gear all performed well.
Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Good one, Ron. I like your system for protecting all your belongings by taking them with you. Should a burglar break into your house, it would be completely empty. Did Yakus Grossweighticus teach you that trick?

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Ron,

Looks like a swell group. I wish that fine lookin' young fella in the Longhorn shirt would chunk that ear ring 'n turn hiz cap round. Other than that, it looked like a good time wuz had by all.

regards
bearridge

ps Yer boat totin' idea oughta win the Noble Prize fer boat totin'. :wink:

I prefer the company of peasants because they have not been educated sufficiently to reason incorrectly.  Michel De Montaigne

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Kayak Jack said:
Good one, Ron. I like your system for protecting all your belongings by taking them with you. Should a burglar break into your house, it would be completely empty. Did Yakus Grossweighticus teach you that trick?

Pay no attention to GrayBeard the Naysayer Ron! It is the kayakers begging canoers before launch to carry their crap they can't fit in their boat! Your looking good in your boat and doing a Voyageur proud! You are prepared!!!

Notice the graceful kayaker exiting his boat! :roll: :wink: :lol:

Oh%20Canada%20048.jpg

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack
With 1 more item or two I be good far a week at least all these mini trips just getting the kinks worked out for that 357 mile run.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack
The reason for building the freedom as heavy as i did was for that trip
The Brazos has a strech of 397 miles of undamed river as wild as always
with very little building on it . It is the longest unobstructed section of river in texas.
When I was a Kid I lived within two blocks of the mouth of the river I have always wanted to paddle it. I may be a little late for this year but the river has been flooded all summer. so I think I will start doin one and two day tripps covering the areas above the dams. There are three forks to the Brazos that come together about hundred miles above me . the longest fork to the gulf is 850 someething miles I would love to do all of it but for sure the lower section
Ron

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Hey Ron nice trip reports , I know you guys had a great time. I really like the roll on support. :wink: Hey Yak I thought you are suppose to leave the canoe seat in the canoe. I guess KJ hasn,t learned this. Maybe he forgot to unble his seat belt. :?

KJ I believe you gonna be like Sparky & Yak with the skinnys, I think its gonna be a long time before you live it down.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Ron,

Any chance you have a pic or two of that bed-extension without the boat on it?

I'd seriously like to steal that idea! My next-door neighbor is a whiz-bang wizard when it comes to welding. Me? Not so much. :lol:

My PVC truck rack is working just fine, but I can see where after a while, lifting a boat up onto it is going to get tiresome. :roll:

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Mike
I will takes some pics tomorrow with a couple improvement I recommend
I really like the way it handles a boat and it is rock solid.
Ron
ps weighs less than twenty lbs so is fast on fast off