Cockroach Bay Aug 3rd | SouthernPaddler.com

Cockroach Bay Aug 3rd

Pirogue

My wife is at a conference in Atlanta for three days so I took some time off to play Mr. Mom. Today we took a little trip to Cockroach Bay in Ruskin for a little fishing and paddling trip.

Not a whole lot to say. We had a great time so here are the pics.

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

Pirogue

dawallace45 said:
Looks like a nice area .

How did you find the Gulp baits in use ? I've never used them yet although I do use normal soft plastics

Cockroach is an awesome area. It is one of my favorite paddling spots and is 15 minutes from the house. Interesting area with historical significance. Actually a few years ago Chuck sent me an article about a pirate who was held up on Big Cockroach mound. I lost the actual e-mail Chuck sent, maybe he could re-send. :wink:

I like the Gulps. But like you, I usually use soft baits, DOA, Powerbaits, etc. But if I want to just catch a mess of fish, I go to the Gulps. They tend to draw more strikes. I used them today because they were easier than real bait and I wanted to get the girls on a bite real quick. Watch out for the pinfish and puffers as they will tear them up real quick.

Also, do not leave the container in your vehicle. The smell will never come out. And, wash your hands before you eat.

Pirogue

dawallace45 said:
Thanks , will have to get some , do you fish them like a soft plastic of like a dead bait ?David

Not sure of what kind of fishing you are doing. But we use them a couple different ways. One is to work it just like a softbait. Either like a swim bait for the fish shaped ones or like a DOA shrimp and just move it slowly through the grass. Anothr method is to toss it up current and let it drift down.

But my favorite is to rig a leader under either a popping cork or a cajun rattler. Toss it out and let the bait drop. Then just give the rod tip a quick snatch and the cork will make a popping sound, the bait will rise and slowly sink. More than likely the the fish will hit on the fall.

dawallace45

Pirogue

most of my fishing is estuary or tidal creek fishing , I only fish fresh water and that is only about once a year , I prefer to wade the shallow sand flats , but also fish from boat or kayak , my main target fish is probably flathead , but also Bream , Whiting , and as often as I can trevally and in the tidal creeks and rivers I mainly target Mangrove Jacks and Barramundi .

I mainly work a soft plastic with a jigging motion across the sand flats or work into a snag in the creeks , I do often use hard body lures as well especially if the water is a little dirty , and I also prefer a rattle lure in those situations

David