Coffee Pot | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Coffee Pot

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Anybody on that Mother Superior Expedishun.....why wuz Charlie sawin' that log? It jest dawned on me that I caint see no reason ta saw a log. What kinda java wuz ya'll drinkin'? Did it come frum Columbia? :wink:

Mutinousdoug

May 7, 2005
Colorado
hairymick said:
Does anybody over there dring - gasp, instant coffee?

that is my standard fare with lots of sugar or honey and a little milk. The other stuff is just too much trouble for me.

Oh yeah, we call your stocking caps beanies. :p

Mr.HMick,
I never drank coffee as a kid, until I was forced to, in the Army (1st Cav to be exact) then it was instant packets augmented by hot chocolate pacs, "creamer" (WTF?) and sugar pacs. Tasted like "crepes?" singular. Kept me awake enough to answer radio checks at my guard hole, Most of the time.
15 years later I tried "REAL" coffee and couldn't make the connection. Now I make that "teabag" coffee when I'm campin and am able to choke it down. Give me brewed coffee, or boiled , if you got it.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Wannabe said:
I remember that C Ration coffee packets Bob

I remember the lil ciggy packs......how many was in a pack...4 or 5? I never smoked but would stuff them away for use as trade. Ham N Eggs wasn't too bad. The beef in Beef N' Taters could be questionable. First ones we got in 67 were from the 40's.....than jumped quick to the 60's. Hell, for awhile, we was eat'n crap older than we was! :shock:

CamperDave

Nov 12, 2005
Southwestern PA
Sawing wood

Brother Bear...
Charlie and I were 'trying' to cut up some wood so that when it stopped raining, we could build a fire...or at least add some wood to the one we had....I wonder what those cave men did years ago after they built a fire, and it rained for 5 days??? Guess that didn't eat, or when they did, the meat was kinda 'rare'....mmmmmm.....too bad they didn't have Ms Jean's dehydrated eggs in those days....all they would need then is a little stove with some propane...and a skillet to cook them in...my friend oleyaker is the consumate cook when we go camping...he could put an ole Teva on the fire and it would end up tasting like Pot Roast.... :lol: camperdave

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend camperdave,

That wuz gwine ta be my guess, but it haz been years since I seen anybody cut firewood on a expedishun. However, since ya'll wuz stuck in one spot (not breakin' camp 'n settin' it back up ever day) ya mite az well cut firewood. :wink:

Did ya'll sing any lumberjack songs? :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

ps Did ya'll pay Truthful Jack not ta sing any lumberjack songs? 8)

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets.  Imagination without skill gives us modern art.  Tom Stoppard

CamperDave

Nov 12, 2005
Southwestern PA
Jack's singing

Bro Bear...
Here are your choices: A. Yes
B. Yes
C. Yes
D. No
E. All of the above
We might have sung a few songs, but I believe it was on the way UP and then on the way BACK that I remember any singing....and it was NOT coming from truthful Jack's van either.....camperdave
p.s. oleyaker can't carry a tune with a wheel barrow....so he wasn't singing....hehehehehehe.... but you can't find a better friend anywhere!
:lol:

Mutinousdoug

May 7, 2005
Colorado
oldyaker said:
Wannabe said:
I remember that C Ration coffee packets Bob

I remember the lil ciggy packs......how many was in a pack...4 or 5? I never smoked but would stuff them away for use as trade. Ham N Eggs wasn't too bad. The beef in Beef N' Taters could be questionable. First ones we got in 67 were from the 40's.....than jumped quick to the 60's. Hell, for awhile, we was eat'n crap older than we was! :shock:

I think those cig pacs had 4 cigs in each; just like the airlines in the 60's used to give you with your dinner! "Overseas" they gave us SP's including cartons of cigarettes but we had to divvy up the nasty ones: Kents ("with the micronite [asbestos] filter"), Pall Malls and Newports (menthol nothings) with the "good" brands like Winstons and Kools.
Oldest C-rat I got in '69-'70 was from 1957. It had ham and beans in and was quite the novelty. Instant coffee was invented for WWII issue, wasn't it? Sorta like A-bombs and DDT.(I'd put penicillan in there if I knew how to spell it.)

Mutinousdoug

May 7, 2005
Colorado
Re: Sawing wood

Kayak Jack said:
CamperDave said:
...my friend oleyaker is the consumate cook when we go camping...he could put an ole Teva on the fire and it would end up tasting like Pot Roast....
That explains his one, bare foot.

He has a bear foot? Division of wildlife or the human genome thing will surely be interested in this. Do Carnivals still winter in Fla? One or the other...

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Made some good coffe on the trip down the brazos with one of those stainless steel pots it has made enough coffe now to be broke in, I never figured out the instant coffe taste yuky to me and you still have to heat the water just wait a couple more minutes and have real coffee.
Ron