Couple more done | SouthernPaddler.com

Couple more done

dawallace45

Got a couple more done now , some of you have already seen the first one but here they are

One is 65# @ 28" , 68" NTN and 70" over all , 16" riser , riser is Kwila with a vertical lamination of Tulip wood

Next bow is 55# @ 28" , 68" NTN and 70" over all , 16" riser , riser is Zebrano bamboo , both shoot well , smooth draw , no stack , no hand shock , I draw 30" and there isn't a problem with that at all , the reason I went to the 16" riser was for a slightly longer working limb for those with a longer draw length and so far it's seemed to work out well for me

P1000794.jpg

P1000795.jpg

P1000797.jpg

P1000801.jpg

P1000793.jpg

P1000802.jpg

David

islandpiper

I make strings out of the regular dacron bow string material fro 3-Rivers, good stuff and makes a forgiving string. Remember , stuff with NO STRETCH will also gut the tips right off your bows. If you make good dacron strings with the proper number of strands, in the CORRECT LENGTH you can stop worrying about stretch. piper

dawallace45

Johno

The stretch from a product like B50 Dacron is very , very little but the fast flight material will give a thinner string and a faster arrow flight , not to my mind a major difference but then to many archers and bowyers a difference of 10 fps is a major event worth the effort , many archers I know and several bowmakers reckon that the excessive ware on the nocks that many warn about with the fast flight string isn't really a problem , while I wouldn't really consider putting fast flight on a self bow I would have no problem on any of my bows even though most of my nock overlays are straight timber because the timber I use is very , very hard

I've not bothered with fast flight for several reasons , one is I've too much Scottish blood and Fast flight is significantly more expensive , the second is that for the small number of test figures I've actually seen between the two the difference wasn't worth the time money and effort to me , that is not to say that other people would see the differences as significant and worth the effort and money , three , my only dealings with fast flight strings has been on bows from other makers that were so badly in tune I had to spend many hours trying every thing I knew trying to get them to shoot in the end I gave up and just made Dacron strings for them , the Dacron seem more forgiving for a badly made bow , four , see reason number one

But having said that I'll probably buy some Fast flight my self in the next 6 months or so

David

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
Very nice David! Someday I'll venture into the bow making side of the game.......

As far as the fast flight versus the dacron. I'm shooting fast flight now as I'm finding it much quieter on my Border Black Douglas. I've found the same on several other bows as well. I don't have a clue if its any faster but some folks seem to think it is.

Again. Very nice work... Keep it up!

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Fast flight and any of the spectra strings take special care are you will wind up blowing the tips off the bow. Black widow an excellent stick bow recommends 50 twist in a string that is fast flight. When it has that many twist it works like a shock ,as it uncoils it softens that sudden stop you get with a no stretch string.
Spectra (fast flight) has a couple other tendency's that I dont like for sticks. There are no signs when one is going to break it just goes,maybe sitting not even being shot and most of the time it breaks under the center serve where you have no warning.
With dacron if you get a little strech just twist it till your brace height is back where you want it wax it and go to shooting.
Ron

JammyJ

Nov 27, 2009
Belfast, (but from killyleagh)
johno said:
p.s. maybe i should find a name that no one else wants then change it to that in all the forums i am in .

They look Fantastic David!

Johno, RE: various Forum names.
Is that an invitation for some suggestions?.... i'm sure the folks here would be happy to assist, although you may not find all favourable. :)

Cheers.
James (jammyj / jaminator / jamesh / jdh ........ :wink: )