Cracked at the Gunnels | SouthernPaddler.com

Cracked at the Gunnels

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Okay I finally have made some headway into this boat, but ran into a major problem. I went out this morning and the scarf joint completely failed on the starboard gunnel. What to do now?

I scarfed this with epoxy/powdered limestone. Was it the limestone mixture, or was it that too much stuff got squeezed out?

Boat%20cracked%20gunnels%20001sm.JPG

Boat%20cracked%20gunnels%20003sm.JPG

Boat%20cracked%20gunnels%20005sm.JPG

Boat%20cracked%20gunnels%20006sm.JPG

dawallace45

A scarf joint is very stiff compared to the rest of the length of timber , placing the scarf right on the frame like you did was more than it could take , you put a piece of gunnel that was too stiff to bend properly right where it has to bend , if you put the scarf a foot or two further back towards the bow it would have been fine

David

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Funbun, a gunnel has its maximum stress at the center of the boat, and lessens towards the ends. I'd do joinery as far away from the center as I could. I wouldn't rule out a glue starved joint, but am only guessing. I had a cockpit coaming pop off of my first kayak I built. I'd screwed down the clamps too tightly and had squozenened out too much glue. (Conjugation examples: rise, rose, risen - squeeze, squoze. squizzen)

On this, maybe you could crank it back into shape, reglue, and clamp it. Add a "decorative" splint on the outside and maybe inside too?

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
we don't match up scarf joints perfectly when we glue, but pull the pieces back about 1/32". That way you leave a gap that you cannot squeeze out the glue no matter how much pressure you use

Never used limestone as filler but from what I've read, it should be OK. Just be sure you're used a very fine limestone (like talcum powder) and not hydrated lime

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Yeah this is the super fine power stuff. I use it in my garden all the time and thought it would be fine.

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
How do you keep the epoxy solution from running everywhere. Maybe I didn't have it thick enough? It had the consistency of pancake mix.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
funbun said:
Thanks, JEM. I need to order a few more supplies anyway. Is 5 lbs enough for a 14 ft jon boat?

Plenty for several boats. You mix the wood flour with the epoxy so it resembles almost a runny P"Nut butter mix. Not to runny , not to stiff , Just right. :D
As a fillet for over the seams then it is thick , almost like real P" Nut butter.

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
I had only gathered about half as much woodflour as I reckon I needed for my last build. Added a pound of plain flour as in baking. Didn't have to mill it any finer. Mixed it thoroughly. BTW have heard that self raising flour would be too oily compared to plain.
My logic was that it has to be cellulose based as it is/was plant material just like wood. Seems as good/strong as as the last build.
Cheer John.

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
The picture is of the outside gunnel sliced at the beam.
I used a silica, woodflour and epoxy mixture, C- clamped them together until they setup.
The wood is white oak.
There are actually 4 splices in the center area, but the inside and outside splices are staggered about a foot apart.
None have failed yet anyway.