Dang This getting old is the s---- | SouthernPaddler.com

Dang This getting old is the s----

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
In the last two months they have put braces on both my knees,a wrist brace,recomending surgery ,colostomy,that was fun
told me I was half deaf, no kidding,got a hernia in my stomack that needs surgery.
Dang if I knew I was going to live this long would have taken better care of my bod.
I think I will probably do it like I have for the last 10 years,smoke another smoke drink another cup of Java ,take a moltin when I need to take the edge of ,go full speed ahead and have a ball,heck who do they think they are there just Doctors. :shock:
Ron
Living the good life one day at a time

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ron......

We are only going to live to the time we die........ The Doc's wanted to do all sorts of stuff to me , everything from the colostomy to going in and burning holes in my heart with a lazier to aid circulation ..... Boy would it aid circulation if they hit the button to hard ....... circulate everywhere it is not suppose to be. I told them they go 1st and let me know how it went and I will a lot later on when I can't do anything and want some room service and a bed pad. But for right now I will enjoy fried heart and liver with some onions and mashed potatoes ...after a successful hunting trip .... along with a good cold beer. As far as the colostomy .. :twisted:
I don't hunt anymore but have friends that do and like to bring the good stuff by the house for the wife and me.

So far not a single Doc has told me they had it done to themselves.

Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Chuck
I figure this way about docs and meds ,they are a last resort for me.
The colon thingy was because my dad had colon cancer at 56
Ron
Long as I can paddle fish hunt and eyeball the ladies I am fine.
Ron
PS Now if they want to give me some hearing aids so when I am hunting I can hear the turkeys better might try that just want wear them around the 2 legged turkeys

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
ron & chuck , we aint going till its our time. sometimes the docs can help & do alot of things with the aid of the good lord above but when its our time to go they aint no doc bringing us back if it isn,t meant to be. we aint going till our number is up i guess if we knew that day or hour we would worry our self to death. like tim mcraws song live like you were dying . hope you geezers live a long life , me too. :wink: :D i plan on paddling with you one day? :wink:

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Ron,
Don't know about the knees and wrist. Can ya still get into a boat with the braces on ? AND, do ya need a fuller life vest because of all the extra weight ?.

As far as the hearing. Don't know what caused your loss. But, I can say, mine is most likely worse than yours. I bought a pair of aids, $4500.00

And if I could, i would have sent them back. They do help, but not that much. I rarely wear them.

Be just my luck to have one drop out , then I'd step on it.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I plan on a knee replacement, but scheduled it for January. A few weeks of recovery needed, some of it on a damned walker. So, I want lousy flying weather so I wouldn't be flying much anyway.

Have a few trips planned for this summer. Go to see sights that are worth the trip. And, as a good excuse to go do something, I'll visit sites of Indian mound building.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Guys
I appreciate the comments. I guess it sounds like I am complaining with this post,I am not. I look around and there are so many folks younger than me that are in far worse shape.
I enjoy every day I get up and will continue to do so,Knees have a quirk that has them confused they pop a lot but once in a while they just fold,course they told me the braces wouldnt help ,go figure.
Hearing is easy to pinpoint in 1968 I was in the end of a quansit hut and an amo dump blew a couple miles away ,ws like being in a megaphone ,busted both ear drums ,.
All in all I do better than 90% of my counter parts.
I just thought it was funny all the things they were putting on me and in me that just dont make a difference :lol: :lol:
Ron
They said there was nothing they could do about my looks :shock:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
tx river rat said:
<snip>They said there was nothing they could do about my looks :shock:
Well, Ronnie, some folks may lament them. :wink: Maybe some envy them? .......................................... NAWWWW!

Like you, I've noticed about three friends who are 10 years younger than me that are falling apart faster. Damned shame, cause they are nice guys. Not as nice as you and me, but nice, nonetheless.

I do take a lot of vitamins. Certain combinations in certain potencies provide not only the expected benefits, but also give multiplier effects. Bonus points. There's a concept of Regular Daily Minimum (RDA), and that's fine if you're well. But, if you get sick, that required minimum can jump pretty high pretty quickly. My plan is to take a lot of vitamins, pee overboard the unneeded ones, and utilize the rest to keep healthy by preventing sickness, instead of curing sickness after I get it. Not a perfect plan, but seems to work well for me.

Does nothing for my looks, however. So, we're sure in the same boat there, Ron.

wilded

Aug 28, 2003
Round Rock, Texas
I have had a pacemaker since I was 32 and just had an upper and lower heart chamber Ablation procedure at age 55. You take it as it comes and keep on trucking until it is time to stop. I just ended up with bad genes in my bloodline. I hope none of my kids have these problems. :roll:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
A pacer since 32 :shock: .... I have had a defibrillator since 1993 ( November) in fact I am on my 4th one at this time and it is a combination of pacer ( when needed ) and defibrillator. Got the 1st one , one month before I turned 50.... That is a hell of a birthday present especially when the defibrillator part decides to go off. It sure does get my attention. :shock: :roll:

The modern marvels for a longer life from the space program , without NASA they would never of been developed.

Ron , as far as the knees , mine sound like pop corn at times when I get up , just a part wearing out but not all the way gone as of yet. The hearing , the wife will swear up and down I do not hear anything , especially what she tells me , might call it selective listening.

Chuck.

dawallace45

Ron

When my aches and pains start to get me down , I just tell my self at least I still have a good sense of smell and I'm still cute ,

I've pretty much given up on modern medicine as a cure for my ills , from what I've seen so far it may well have caused most of them

David

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
1. Growing old may not always be fun but it beats the alternative.
2. Some say my face is ugly
But I don't mind it,
'Cause I'm always behind it.

I will be at the Rendezvous with wrist braces, a back brace, cane, diabetes meds, glucose meter, prescription pain meds, BP meds, and if there is any room in the bag some clean undershorts. I intend to enjoy meeting all you geezers and GITs.

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Between keyboard and chair
Wannabe said:
graybeard said:
I hear ya Ron. Until my wife's problems flared up, I didn't even know they made 800 mg Ibuprofen.
VA gives en away by the quart.
Bob

I can believe it. A 90-day (270 tablet) supply cost us about $18 (actual cost, not co-pay) as a generic prescription, or $75 when Advil is on sale. It's a racket. It's even worse when there is no generic:

http://market-ticker.denninger.net/archives/2144-Dont-Believe-The-Obamabot-Liars.html
Other nations slap cost controls on pharmaceuticals, saying to the companies that they will pay "$X" for some device or medication - and if the drug company does not agree to sell for "$X" then the nation threatens to either not buy at all or break their patents and reproduce the drug or device within their borders, giving the company nothing.

The problem of course is that most pharmaceuticals and many devices have a cost structure that is more than a bit skewed. That is, the first pill may cost $1 billion - in development and testing expenses. Many drugs are "dry holes"; the company spends but the drug proves ineffective or even dangerous, and thus the money is lost.

Subsequent pills may cost $2 each to manufacture - once that first billion is spent.

Obviously, the drug companies must amortize that billion dollar development expense over the projected life and sales cycle for the drug. If they fail to do so they go out of business.

Everyone in the world who has access to that drug gets the benefit of the development. We in The United States get to pay the entire cost, because it is only here that we do not price-control drugs and threaten manufacturers with patent breaks if they don't price "as we like it."

This is responsible for most of the drug and device price inflation we have experienced - we are literally paying for the development of new treatments for more than 6.8 billion people yet there are only 330 million of us in the United States. That is, we bear twenty times our "fair share" of those development costs.

The other thing our government does is prevent re-importation of drugs from other companies to "protect" us from counterfeits (and protect the drug companies pricing levels).

I used to think this guy was an extremist. Sadly, he's making a lot of sense.

Four Steps to fix Health Care

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Not to sound like I'm firmly entrenched on the side of big Pharma

but I have been involved in the development of new drugs and i know from first hand experience
1. most new drugs never make it to the marketplace, they fail for some reason and the reasons get more stringent every year. I'm convinced that aspirin would not get FDA approval if it was coming on the marketplace today
2. development, testing and final approval is very expensive and time consuming
3. companies have to make a profit or investors will put their money someplace else and the compnay will cease to exist
4. patent protection -usually 17 years - is all the pharma companies have to recoup their expenses for successful drugs and also the ones that went down the tubes

While it's easy to bash the big companies for making money and complain about the high cost of new drugs, remember that there's many folks alive today that would not be alive if drug research was stopped 10 or 20 years ago.

I don't know the ultimate solution to the problem, but taking away a compnay's incentive to develop new drugs isn't the answer

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
seedtick said:
<snip> I don't know the ultimate solution to the problem, but taking away a company's incentive to develop new drugs isn't the answer
Profit is a reward for being successful. Without it, no business can survive. Without businesses, our society cannot survive.

It isn't that simple, but it is that basic.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Kayak Jack said:
Profit is a reward for being successful. Without it, no business can survive. Without businesses, our society cannot survive.

It isn't that simple, but it is that basic.

Try explaining that to the simpletons in Washington--and the ones who send them there.